Anyone Cast Bullets

Discuss Reloading your ammo and your gear used to reload here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

swampbird
scout

Anyone Cast Bullets

Post by swampbird » Thu May 17, 2012 8:55 pm

I would like to hear from someone who cast their own. I'd like to get into making lead bullets for rifles.

pandaxmx
Second Class Scout

Re: Anyone Cast Bullets

Post by pandaxmx » Thu May 17, 2012 9:17 pm

I cast bullets for my 44,38,30 cal and 9mm. I use wheel weights as the lead, your best bet is to get a cast bullet book they sell them on e-bay, also all of the molds except one special 6 pack mold are lee molds, what else would you like to know?
Gun Laws are only for folks who Obey the Law..Criminals don't give a HOOT

swampbird
scout

Post by swampbird » Fri May 18, 2012 7:37 pm

What kind of pot is best to use?...the bottom dump or just ladle the hot lead?

I need to know what to buy and what to stay away from.....

Do you pay for the wheel weights?

pandaxmx
Second Class Scout

Post by pandaxmx » Fri May 18, 2012 10:58 pm

swampbird wrote:What kind of pot is best to use?...the bottom dump or just ladle the hot lead?

I need to know what to buy and what to stay away from.....

Do you pay for the wheel weights?

Well I use a ladle, but I used a bottom dump for many years, Some folks say that ladleing is the best , I really never found the difference in the lead but I enjoy using the ladle for my 6 hole 44 mag mold....I used a lee bottom dump pot but always leaked after 6 months, but the price was always right so i didn't mind, but a friend of mine gave me a old ladle pot holds about 15 lbs of lead and i have been using it 4 years now boy it looks like it is from 1930 , but works well there isn't a name on it, the lee ladle pot is fine and not expensive... On the subject of lead wheel weights, I used to go to these tire places and ask for what they had some places will give it to you , the last place i went to the manager came out with a 5 gal bucket 3/4 full and asked me how much i would give him I said jokingly $20 and to my surprise he said ok,,,,now thats a deal.. lead is getting expensive, once you get into it you will want to mix alum and lead to get the correct hardness, getting yourself a good lead reloading book will give you the measurements...I myself for what i load wheel weights are fine...By the way a lot of folks say the melting lead breathing in the fumes is unhealthy , i'd say yes if you were not in a ventlated room, I have friends that have been melting lead for bullets for 30 years in a ventalated area and has not had any problems, just be careful with kids and pregnant women

swampbird
scout

Post by swampbird » Sat May 19, 2012 11:12 am

I understand the hazards of lead. I would cast out in the garage, use a fan to pull the fumes away from me.

I will be picking up my grandfathers lead pot this summer. He was a plumber back in the day where they leaded cast iron pipe joints together. It's a propane heated pot and stand, ladles, and @300 lbs of lead ingots.....he use to cast his own sinkers so I have access to those molds.

Where are you buying your casting supplies and molds?

Ps. you get the hankering to to build a 6.8 let me know, i'll help you out with tools and shade tree knowledge.....

pandaxmx
Second Class Scout

Post by pandaxmx » Sat May 19, 2012 8:43 pm

Great on the 6.8, thanks....Now I get a lot of stuff on e-bay...I found it is good to try something before spending a lot on the top number 1 item... but for molds usually lee on e-bay if good to start, be careful though check lee's web site before putting in a bid some of those folks want new prices... I have never been disappointed on any mold gotten there...

Jester
scout
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Jester » Sat May 19, 2012 9:17 pm

Thanks! Been thinking about casting my own and this was really helpful info!
"Any people that would give up liberty for a little temporary safety deserves neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." - Patrick Henry

"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God." - Thomas Jefferson

deutze
Second Class Scout

Post by deutze » Sat May 19, 2012 10:50 pm

I can see using cast for target shooting with hanguns but are they accurate enough for rifle loads? 1 moa at 100 yd's?

kc45
Troop Bugler

Post by kc45 » Tue May 22, 2012 10:20 am

deutze wrote:I can see using cast for target shooting with hanguns but are they accurate enough for rifle loads? 1 moa at 100 yd's?
Yes, you can load very accurate rifle loads with cast bullets.
You'll have to keep the velocity lower than you would with jacketed bullets and you'll want to use cast bullets with gas check. Just keep everything consistant and pay attention to all the little details and you can develop very accurate loads. Keep good records of your load and results for future.

BTW. lead wheel weights containe traces of arsenic so be very careful with the fume from your pot.

swampbird
scout

Post by swampbird » Tue May 22, 2012 5:33 pm

I've been learning my self sumtin on rolling your own lead pro-jet-tiles ..... 630°F molten heavy metals and other super bad stuff ....yep, real safe hobby!

Return to “RELOADING FORUM”