Very Frustrated!!!

All the info you need on FWC with links!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

randy966
scout

Very Frustrated!!!

Post by randy966 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:09 pm

I am getting a little frustrated with this quota system!! I did not get drawn for ANY hunts during phase one. During phase two, there really wasn't much that I was interested in. During the first come/first serve phase, I guess I just wasn't fast enough to get a permit even though I was on there at 10am each week. Now, with this weekly drawing, I have put in for more than one choice on each of the hunts and I still get nothing.

A couple of years ago, a friend had a couple of preference points for archery. My wife had never put in for a quota hunt so she had no points. Well guess what....he got no permits and my wife got everything I put her in for....how does that work??

Sorry for venting, just getting aggravated with this system!!!
Team Tree Top Assasins!

Kortsman
Star Scout

Re: Very Frustrated!!!

Post by Kortsman » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:14 pm

Welcome to the world of FWC quota's. The Phase 3/4 drawing chances are going to be slim to none. Think of how many more people are putting in for those hunts now that you don't have to be online at 10 on Tuesdays. Then the fact that there's 1 or 2 permits on top of that.

The best advice I can give you is get with a couple of friends and put in for opposite weeks in the 1st phase. If you each get drawn, then you guys can guest hunt that wma more than once. If they're low quota hunts, you won't get them every year, but at least you'll start building your points.

Mr. Lolo
Second Class Scout

Post by Mr. Lolo » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:37 pm

They'll never fix the system in Fl. I apply for all quotas during phase 1 and if I get something I'm happy. I only apply for hunts that are difficult to get to build points. This year it paid off and got some very good hunts, but had up to 5 points for some of them. If I get something on the weekly draws, that's a plus but I don't care much about the weekly draw.

The reason I look at it that way is because after hunting a lease in north Florida for 3 years, I found out that the National Forests, in my opinion, are the way to go if hunting public land. My lease was a few miles from Osceola NF. I spent every weekend I had a chance, exploring the forest and saw a lot of deer, never a huge buck, but lots of deer and I'm ok with that as I don't trophy hunt. I also spend a lot of time in Ocala NF and the same thing. Lots of deer and I've seen some nice bucks in there. I have a couple hunts planned there this year. Besides, the NFs are huge and you don't usually see other people (at least in my experience). When you look at the harvest report for Ocala, you can see they killed over 500 bucks last season. That is only those registered at the 8 or so private check stations operating around the forest, so I'm sure the harvest is probably more than that.

If you don't mind driving (i'm my case I don't), you'll probably want to try the National Forests at least one season and see if you like it.

My 2 cents.
Follow my hunting adventures with Twitter: @lolo_hunter

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by TerribleTed » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:57 pm

yea the whole hunting quotas is Fuxked.

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:29 pm

It is like people that apply for a job, only the people that get hired are happy and all others are ticked off! Yeah I got hired... this year I got 3 quotas for "area 51" and can carry a guest if I so choose so I'm happy. The rest of the times I'm ticked off!

:saluting
Bossman

FLQuacker
Second Class Scout

Post by FLQuacker » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:11 pm

"The reason I look at it that way is because after hunting a lease in north Florida for 3 years, I found out that the National Forests, in my opinion, are the way to go if hunting public land"

NO!! NO!! NO!!

Stay away from Nat'l Forests and the No Quota scenes!!

:taz

Seriously though...I'm right with ya Lolo.

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:31 pm

FLQuacker wrote: Stay away from Nat'l Forests and the No Quota scenes!!

:taz

Seriously though...I'm right with ya Lolo.
I wish my local NF was run this way, they turned over a portion to the state to run it like a WMA. It is quota only except for small game season. The NF rangers do not seem to be too happy in having to deal with hunters in "their" forest. I can understand that the rest of this particular NF is heavily used during the rest of the year for biking, camping, canoeing and such but can't they give us hunters full reign for a few months a year with no quota hunts or perhaps open it up to 1st come 1st serve after the 1st 2 weeks like Ocala or Green Swamp.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

blackpowderscout
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by blackpowderscout » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:47 pm

What NF are you talking about? All 3 in Florida are quotaless after either the 1st 9 days or they have none at all.
"Friends don't let friends hunt with inlines."

NRA Life
Want to learn more about Traditional Blackpowder Hunting? http://traditionalblackpowderhunting.com/

JBUG308
Second Class Scout

Post by JBUG308 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:21 am

If I wasn't on a lease that I'm happy with I'd be hunting the Ocala NF - do your leg work, have patience, and most of all be prepared to see people. Most deer I've seen have been AFTER the masses made there way to and from their starting point.
I can understand why some people are skittish about public land, but I've seen leases that were just as bad - and more money!

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:37 am

blackpowderscout wrote:What NF are you talking about? All 3 in Florida are quotaless after either the 1st 9 days or they have none at all.
I stand corrected after a little more fact checking, my location is a state forest, not a national forest but still believe the method above is the way to go. I hunt the Little Big Econ State Forest.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

blackpowderscout
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by blackpowderscout » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:51 pm

Ok. I was going back and double checking cause I hunt them. LOL
"Friends don't let friends hunt with inlines."

NRA Life
Want to learn more about Traditional Blackpowder Hunting? http://traditionalblackpowderhunting.com/

Return to “FWC”