Let's bring back Transferable permits

All the info you need on FWC with links!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: Let's bring back Transferable permits

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:09 pm

Doesn't matter to me one way or the other. I get quotas every year w/o gaming the system, and manage to fill my freezer and keep my taxidermist happy every year. Personally I think the FWC is finally doing a good job. Some may not agree with me, but I think George Bush JR did a good job as president too. Just my opinion
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

CitySlicker
Tenderfoot

Post by CitySlicker » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:34 pm

They are doing a good job. We just need to keep them informed on improvements to the system. Like the permit reissuance system. I think if you want to return a permit to get back your preference points. You should have to return the permit in time to be reissued in one of the drawings. Right now you do not have to. You can return the permit up until the day before the hunt. They are rewarding a guy putting him to the front of the line next when he just wasted a permit that could of been used by another hunter. A guy could do this year after year. It is a small loophole that needs to be addressed.
It does seem like we have there attention, and they are trying to make improvements.

swissk31
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by swissk31 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:25 pm

CitySlicker wrote:They are doing a good job. We just need to keep them informed on improvements to the system. Like the permit reissuance system. I think if you want to return a permit to get back your preference points. You should have to return the permit in time to be reissued in one of the drawings. Right now you do not have to. You can return the permit up until the day before the hunt. They are rewarding a guy putting him to the front of the line next when he just wasted a permit that could of been used by another hunter. A guy could do this year after year. It is a small loophole that needs to be addressed.
It does seem like we have there attention, and they are trying to make improvements.

I think non transferable is the only way because of the hoarders.
City slicker has brought up an important point. We need to ask for the return process to change. Yes I know things like family visiting or health concerns can happen with short notice. But if it can't be reissued what good did it do us all. There should be a deadline of return 10 days before the start of the hunt or you don't get your points back. I know a few people will lose out , but for the common good of all it needs to change.
Another real important reason this needs to change is there are anti hunters out there abusing the quota system.
They buy the licenses and go for the quotas in some of the more limited WMA's. If they get one they wait for the very last moment to return it, and are set up with two preference points for next year. next year they get more of the treasured hard to get quotas with those extra points and return them again at the last moment. They don't mind paying a little for the licenses, it supports the forests. They think they are saving the woodland creatures from the mean hunters. If this keeps up THEY ARE reducing our choices to hunt. I am seeing more nonhunters in the woods. I have had dog walkers talking loud to their dog, singing in the woods. I saw a man and young girl in Marshal swamp, and the girl was just yelling over and over into the woods. Just to scare the deer away from the hunters.
To stay on the point here, the return system has a flaw that has been noticed by these groups. We need to make this problem known and corrected before we lose out another year.

Papa_J
Junior Assistant Scout Master

Post by Papa_J » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:53 pm

I'm with ya. I think that they should record who does and doesn't show up with quotas, and if they keep turning them back in and not actually signing in to hunt with them, then they shouldn't issue them another permit. I know that it kinda sucks, because it's gonna have to be stretched out over a couple years for FWC to pattern it, but after that, it will be VERY obvious.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:12 am

last year my favorite and close by wma sat empty all 4 days of the hog quota, not a soul showed up and they wouldn't allow a walk in.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

HCON3
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by HCON3 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:16 pm

Hey Nacho if you are talking Chass the word I got was they had trappers in there last year to reduce the pig population. Two years ago I was the only one in the entire place for the 2nd spring trukey quota. Many days during the Quotas there are less than 20people in during the day so why have 150 Quota when no one going to use them. Did you get your car fixed up or was it goner!

outrunner13
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by outrunner13 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:22 pm

chass is a mess that 1 management area that dont need quota system during the hunting season your right nacho been there done that look at muzz season

swissk31
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by swissk31 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:00 pm

I got Chass and Half moon quotas for hogs. So has Chass been cleaned out of hogs last year? Never been to either. Pulled a couple hogs out of Jumper last year, wanted to try a couple other places.

stealthman55
scout

Post by stealthman55 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:53 pm

I don't see it reverting back either guys,FWC would rather everyone pay for the special opp hunts,now there is almost a permit required for evereything,got a crossbow permit,thought i would never see that,if they add a spear season like alabama has,then they can add the associated permit,its all about creating more revenue,so they can buy more helicopter,suburbans,pay higher salaries.

cajun
scout

Post by cajun » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:22 pm

I hated it at first, but like anything it has it's good and bad. I still think there should be a waiting list at the check station were permits can be handed in after being used for one day and could be initaled, recorded and then redistributed by the check station. I do like the guest permit. I never heard of the nontransferable system being a trial But I will make a call to Eddie White the quota hunt coordinator to find out if was set as a trial and about the tag system. I'll post his answer.

cajun
scout

Post by cajun » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:03 pm

I didn't have to make a call You can read about it at the link below. Or google FWC nontransferable permits set to end 2012.
flhawghuntr is right about the trial and I'm sure they lost a lot of revenue when they went to nontransferable so we will see in 2012. If they don't go back I'll bet we will see another increase in our license.

http://myfwc.com/NEWSROOM/09/statewide/ ... hanges.htm

bodysnatcher

Post by bodysnatcher » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:30 am

Welcome to the site cajun. :toast When you get a chance head over to the new member area and tell us a little about yourself.
Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Skunk Ape
Vigil

Post by Skunk Ape » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:01 am

I don't know how y'all have such luck as to not see anybody in WMA's everytime I go on a quota I see people all over the place,usually overun.I think they're more crowded with the guest deal than before. The thing I hate about transferables is the fact that some guys will do whatever it takes to get a permit. I knew a guy that had two doe tags and two permits for a youth hunt,that's complete BS when they only let a chosen few kids get them to begin with. They just need to open these damn places up and let people hunt whenever there's a hunting season. They'll never get it right,way to many people and not enough land .

rebelman
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by rebelman » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:05 am

swissk31 wrote:
CitySlicker wrote:They are doing a good job. We just need to keep them informed on improvements to the system. Like the permit reissuance system. I think if you want to return a permit to get back your preference points. You should have to return the permit in time to be reissued in one of the drawings. Right now you do not have to. You can return the permit up until the day before the hunt. They are rewarding a guy putting him to the front of the line next when he just wasted a permit that could of been used by another hunter. A guy could do this year after year. It is a small loophole that needs to be addressed.

I think non transferable is the only way because of the hoarders.
City slicker has brought up an important point. We need to ask for the return process to change. Yes I know things like family visiting or health concerns can happen with short notice. But if it can't be reissued what good did it do us all. There should be a deadline of return 10 days before the start of the hunt or you don't get your points back. I know a few people will lose out , but for the common good of all it needs to change.
Another real important reason this needs to change is there are anti hunters out there abusing the quota system.
They buy the licenses and go for the quotas in some of the more limited WMA's. If they get one they wait for the very last moment to return it, and are set up with two preference points for next year. next year they get more of the treasured hard to get quotas with those extra points and return them again at the last moment. They don't mind paying a little for the licenses, it supports the forests. They think they are saving the woodland creatures from the mean hunters. If this keeps up THEY ARE reducing our choices to hunt. I am seeing more nonhunters in the woods. I have had dog walkers talking loud to their dog, singing in the woods. I saw a man and young girl in Marshal swamp, and the girl was just yelling over and over into the woods. Just to scare the deer away from the hunters.
To stay on the point here, the return system has a flaw that has been noticed by these groups. We need to make this problem known and corrected before we lose out another year.
the guy with the little girl that you describe here what they were doing was illegal(harrassing hunters)you have the right to call the police and have them arrested.
Tree Top Assasins. greatfully employed hunter

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:55 am

I pretty much agree with cityslicker, the hoarders and no shows gotta go. tracking shouldn't be too hard. if you pull a no show then go to the bottom of the list for next draw, 2- no shows - un-eligible for next draw or something along those lines. also if the place is empty why not a walk on, first come first serve ( even with a small fee would be OK) after say 7am or something. beats having the state paying a gate guard to watch an empty wma. and I was referring to homosassa not chazz but close. the car had a motor replaced and someone bypassed the oxygen sensor, no idea who did it or why, I had 1 of the cat converters hollowed out instead of replaced. seems to be running OK but have no idiot lights,so for me not good, I like an early warning system if possible.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Return to “FWC”