Florida screws over hunters again.

All the info you need on FWC with links!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by TerribleTed » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:55 pm

Then great wisdom is the idiots in charge.

There allowing harvest of the palm berries in tiger bay. One of the very few areas open to hunt and now it trashed. There walking through the wood beating the palmetto berries off.
This is all day while you are in the stand so what chance do you think any one has on harvesting deer.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Re: Florida screws over hunters again.

Post by nachogrande » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:09 pm

somebody should call peta, depriving animals of a major food source while we are trying to feed them steel and lead.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:12 pm

Yep laugh.

So when your on your next archury hunt you wont mind if come through the woods like army and take a leak under you stand.

You know whats next add Kmart's parking lot to the wma list.

Ironcat
Second Class Scout

Post by Ironcat » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:52 pm

Do you have a link to this story?
Seeing as how 4 people were arrested last month for picking saw palmetto berries, there maybe something you're leaving out...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:34 pm

go ahead, whip that thing out under my stand, a blue acorn should make a challenging target lol.

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:00 pm

Hers the link i was there i lived it. On the way out i noticed the little paper saying that pickers will be picking berries posted by the state at the check-sigh in station on red Brick road.

Yes my hunt was screwed i was sitting in the stand and hear a noise i could not quite identify.
Then one comes into sight.

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:34 pm

You would think the berry pickers would be scared as hell out there walking around during hunting season. Are they required to wear orange? I am always nervous on public land walking around in the brush even with orange on w/ guns going off in different directions.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:49 pm

Its Archery.

Plus only some one deer hunting during BP or gun season needs orange not during archery only. There may be hunters (no orange required) small game hunting or hog hunting or duck hunting identify what your shooting at.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:47 pm

no offense but I just don't get this aversion to orange. I keep hearing identify your target, and you could do that all day but even superman couldn't see thru some of these palmeto bushes beyond the target.

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:24 am

Then you don't shoot. I hunt public land some are open to day hikers bikers bird watchers. If you can not positively identify your target you can not shoot. Seriously your scarring me nacho.
You shooting the brush because its moving.

I am not opposed to orange but orange is not the law or the answer.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:46 am

who said anything about ME shooting moving bushes, I've never done it and never would! my point is that FL being as flat as it is and such thick brush that you could identify the target all day no problem, it's what lays beyond is the problem. so if you say if you don't know whats beyond/don't shoot, nobody would ever be able to safely take a shot a shot. tell me about how these people taking running shots at game are able to identify what lies in the brush beyond that moving target in a split second. they must have x-ray vision or esp, guess that's just the way things are down here and to me it's scary, especially on public wma's where I've been peppered by bird shot from squirrel hunters while wearing orange and yelling at them to knock it off. so AGAIN how could a break up pattern orange vest hurt anything? for any and all hunting except maybe turkey that can see in color. I was standing shoulder to shoulder with a bud in some palmetto's when he stepped on a hog and I was literally 2-3 feet away max and I could not see it, I could sure as hell hear and even smell it but all I could actually see was moving brush. we were both 100 % sure there was a hog basically at our feet and we both held fire, so don't accuse me of that thank you. that is a major reason for me wanting to get up off the ground, so I have a safer shot angle. if shooting from a ground blind you are basically shooting parallel to the ground and any pass thru has the potential to hit something in the brush beyond. realistically a bullet SHOULD hit a tree stopping it before traveling too far but who knows exactly how far that may be especially if taking a longer shot in a more open fire lane or pasture, even harder to identify what is just inside the tree line way over there. hunting without orange is just flat out not as safe as hunting with it and shooters are the only ones that can see it. so if you are not trespassing or doing something wrong why not help other hunters know you are there. how many exp hunters are killed each year hear cuz their buds they shot were camo'd out and could not see them, that last one by a fwc officer comes to mind. not trying to tell you what to do, to each his own, I get it, just trying to wrap my head around the defiance towards orange/safety.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:13 am

"it's not the law or the answer", who cares if it's law or not. it's common sense. like using a safety harness when in a climber 30' off the ground, that's not required by law either but if you don't I think your courting disaster. and I agree orange is not the answer 100 % and at times it cannot be seen either but it helps and is at least an improvement in most cases.

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:09 pm

Ok you sound like the brush shooter the more you post the more it sound like you shoot recklessly. Just pointing that out not accusing. I only pointed out orange is not the law or required or needed it advisable only. Remember deer, hogs, turkey, small game are the same time in the woods. Orange in only law for deer hunter no one else.
Listen they will ban hunting before the stop picnickers, bird watchers, hikers fishing or bicycles from using public land. So stop your whining. You are responsible for ever shoot you take and most that are shoot are by idiots not identifying there target. No if you can not see it, its not a target regardless of what you may think. That bus load of butterfly watchers that were in the woods don't wear orange and out rank us for use of public lands. They will ban us before them.
Yes were i hunt butterfly and bird watchers are common on public land during hunting season.

Mr. Lolo
Second Class Scout

Post by Mr. Lolo » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:12 pm

OK. Back to original topic. That was approved last year.

"Palmetto berries - TBSF may be able to sell permits for individuals harvesting drupes or
“berries” from the palmettos for the limited season (August to early October) each
year. The sale of permits may generate $2,000 to $4,000 annually, depending on
local interest."

Check page 80 (86 of PDF)
http://www.sjrwmd.com/landmanagementpla ... Bay_SF.pdf
Follow my hunting adventures with Twitter: @lolo_hunter

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:03 pm

Ted, do you have S*** 4 Brains? just got finished saying I DON'T SHOOT AT MOVING BRUSH! and advocate the use of safety orange, harnesses and propper shot angles. how in the world can anybody take that as being reckless?

Return to “FWC”