Who do I report trespasser to?

All the info you need on FWC with links!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

sam03
Ordeal

Who do I report trespasser to?

Post by sam03 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:08 pm

So I went out to hunt tonight and my feeder and camera were gone!!! Who do I call because I want a report when I catch them...
I like animals, they are tasty!

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: Who do I report trespasser to?

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:12 pm

FWC or your local sheriff
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Post by M12Gunboy » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:24 pm

You can probably make a report made out with the local sheriff and/or a FWC officer. Did this happen on private land? If not, you are pretty much shizz out of luck if it happened on public land, IMHO. If it happened on private land and you know or believe you know who did it, report it to the sheriff and/or FWC officer and have them go do there thing, after you make the report. If it was on public land, you might notify the sheriff and/or a FWC officer, make a report and possibly work with them to get these knuckle heads. Not sure, but I would guess that after making a report on a WMA, that would probably pretty much close the book on it once your report is filed. As far as "catching them", I'd aire on the side of caution and wouldn't recommend it, especially on public land. You can't be sure who, what or how many of these thieves you are up against and you could find yourself in as much trouble as the theives if something went wrong. I'd definately call the local FWC officer for your area and discuss it with him/her either way.

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:44 pm

It was private land and i will be adding some more posting signs tomorrow and the rest of the week. They walked through some thick 10 acres from the nearest rd to get to the feeder...and that walking straight.

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Post by M12Gunboy » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:03 pm

Definately file a report with the Sheriff and contact FWC and also file a report with them. You have alot of options since it's private land!

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:06 pm

it's unfortunate there are so many dirtbags out and about. I look at it like gambling and don't bet more than you can afford to loose. on public land I wouldn't leave squat. on private I've been lucky, got pics of tresspassers but happy they decided not to mess with my stuff. it's just that, stuff, not worth your freedom. but don't want to leave out anything too nice and tempt fate.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:22 am

Make sure every thing is correct on your no trespassing signs so when you catch them they stuck.

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:03 pm

I filed the report yesterday. And posted some more signs. Actually put on the tree next to where my feeder and camera were...

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:38 pm

Every thing on your signs are leagual size and the information is on them. There is some lopoles really size of the letters and you information is required.

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Post by M12Gunboy » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:19 pm

TT, I'm confused. Loopholes? In case you are sued by the trespassor or the state won't prosecute the trespassor? In the state of FL it's a Misdemeanor if caught trespassing on private property and a Felony if caught trespassing on private property with a weapon. What does posted signs have to do with anything. A fence, ditch, tree line, etc is considered a boundary I believe. Posted signs work as a boundary also. If I recall we covered this topic in a thread a couple of years back. Allen could find it. If I recall correctly as long as it's considered "Farm or Agricultural" it doesn't even need to be posted, and as long as it has some sort of defined boundary, ie ditch, fence, tree line, berms, posted signs, painted lines on trees in bright yellow, etc. I could be wrong but you'd have to check FL Statutes Sam...

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:59 pm

Well from hunting public next to private and old fence doesn't count as a boundary signs not right and trespassers get off. There is allot to it and not allot rivers edge doesn't need posting ditches and or agriculture never heard of anything like that ditches are every were.

A no trespassing sign has to have name and phone number and lettering on sign need to be 2 inches tall.
I don't remember but there is also spacing requirement.
Mainly a clear define line.

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Post by GoodOyster » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:27 pm

Florida Statute 588.09 Legally enclosed land; fenced and posted.—
(1) Land shall be legally enclosed land, or posted land, when enclosed by a legal fence, and when there shall be placed along the boundary of said land in the manner herein provided posted notices to the public; provided that it shall not be necessary to erect any fence along any portion of the boundaries of the land formed by any ocean, gulf, bay, river, creek, or lake.
(2) The fences, enclosures, and the posted notices, when erected, placed, and maintained as herein required shall be notice to the public that the land enclosed thereby is private property upon which unauthorized entry for any purpose is prohibited and shall constitute a warning to unauthorized persons to remain off of or to depart from said land.
History.—ss. 4, 6, ch. 25357, 1949.

Florida Statute 588.10 Posted notices; requirement.— Posted notices to the public as required by s. 588.09 shall be signs upon which there shall appear prominently, in letters of not less than 2 inches in height, the word “posted,” and in addition thereto there shall appear the name of the owner, lessee, or occupant of said land. Said posted notices shall be placed along, on, or close within the boundaries of any legally enclosed or posted land in a manner and in such position as to be clearly noticeable from the outside of the enclosure, and said notices shall be placed not farther than 500 feet apart along, and at each corner, of the boundaries of the land, and also at each gateway or opening of the fence enclosing the same. Said notices shall be placed along all boundaries formed by the waters mentioned herein on trees or posts close to the banks of said waters in position so as they may be noticeable to persons approaching the boundary formed by said waters.
History.—s. 5, ch. 25357, 1949.

810.011 Definitions.—As used in this chapter:
(5)(a) “Posted land” is that land upon which:
1. Signs are placed not more than 500 feet apart along, and at each corner of, the boundaries of the land, upon which signs there appears prominently, in letters of not less than 2 inches in height, the words “no trespassing” and in addition thereto the name of the owner, lessee, or occupant of said land. Said signs shall be placed along the boundary line of posted land in a manner and in such position as to be clearly noticeable from outside the boundary line; or
2.a. Conspicuous no trespassing notice is painted on trees or posts on the property, provided that the notice is:
(I) Painted in an international orange color and displaying the stenciled words “No Trespassing” in letters no less than 2 inches high and 1 inch wide either vertically or horizontally;
(II) Placed so that the bottom of the painted notice is not less than 3 feet from the ground or more than 5 feet from the ground; and
(III) Placed at locations that are readily visible to any person approaching the property and no more than 500 feet apart on agricultural land.
b. Beginning October 1, 2007, when a landowner uses the painted no trespassing posting to identify a “no trespassing” area, those painted notices shall be accompanied by signs complying with subparagraph 1. and placed conspicuously at all places where entry to the property is normally expected or known to occur.
(b) It shall not be necessary to give notice by posting on any enclosed land or place not exceeding 5 acres in area on which there is a dwelling house in order to obtain the benefits of ss. 810.09 and 810.12 pertaining to trespass on enclosed lands.
(6) “Cultivated land” is that land which has been cleared of its natural vegetation and is presently planted with a crop, orchard, grove, pasture, or trees or is fallow land as part of a crop rotation.
(7) “Fenced land” is that land which has been enclosed by a fence of substantial construction, whether with rails, logs, post and railing, iron, steel, barbed wire, other wire, or other material, which stands at least 3 feet in height. For the purpose of this chapter, it shall not be necessary to fence any boundary or part of a boundary of any land which is formed by water.
(8) Where lands are posted, cultivated, or fenced as described herein, then said lands, for the purpose of this chapter, shall be considered as enclosed and posted.
(11) “Commercial horticulture property” means any property that is cleared of its natural vegetation and is planted in commercially cultivated horticulture products that are planted, grown, or harvested. The term also includes property that is used for the commercial sale, use, or distribution of horticulture products.
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:11 am

jmo but signs like gun laws and locks just keep already honest people honest. criminals,tresspasers,theives and poachers are gonna do what they want regardless of how many signs you put up and probably use them for target practice. it might be helpfull when and if your able to catch them for prosecution purposes.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:50 am

Correct Nacho. So we know there will be law breakers. So you want to seal all the cracks so they cant get out of it.

Good posting up top on the regulation.

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:31 am

Thanks for all the help. I understand it might only keep the honest people out. When I'm in the woods i keep up with my location to make sure I'm not trespassing I'm not sure why its so hard for others.

Here is what i order and have posted.

Return to “FWC”