Self-Teaching what is a quota?!

All the info you need on FWC with links!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

sparkfly88
scout
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Self-Teaching what is a quota?!

Post by sparkfly88 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:35 pm

I've been planning to go to yucca pens this weekend, Ive got my hunting license, deer permit, and WMA permit.

is that all I need?!
I saw something on the brochure about limited quota hunts or something

QUOTA PERMIT INFORMATION:
Muzzleloading Gun - 50, no-cost, quota permits (no exemptions).
General Gun - 50, no-cost, quota permits (no exemptions)

Are quota hunts like, VIP hunting? which happen outside the open season or something?

:wacko

Mr. Lolo
Second Class Scout

Re: Self-Teaching what is a quota?!

Post by Mr. Lolo » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:55 pm

Yucca pens is quota only. It means that unless you applied for, and received a quota permit, you can't hunt. Quotas are issued for certain WMAs to control the number of hunters. You can only small game without a quota permit there.
Follow my hunting adventures with Twitter: @lolo_hunter

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:58 pm

Quota hunt is our shitty system in Florida to stop you from hunting.

Read the reg for gun -bp or archery whatever. if is say a quota then obviously you don't have one you cant hunt it.

A quota is really a permission slip to use the property for the specified time or a week end.

It look like you can go there for small game in but not for deer unless you have a quota
Sorry your out of luck.

Read this for next year
http://myfwc.com/license/limited-entry-hunts/

sparkfly88
scout

Post by sparkfly88 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:00 pm

I bought all this gear, for something I can't do... :censored

sparkfly88
scout

Post by sparkfly88 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:08 pm

Is there an easier way to see what hunts are coming up besides looking at every individual brochure ??

I have to re organize everything now.

My birthday is friday, and I was all psyched to go hunting for my first time :hang

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:57 pm

Not sure on your area Go the the FWC page and go to ask the fwc and see if they have a list of areas open without permits.
Summit the question and in a day or two they answer.
I know this area east side central.

Other wise start a new post on here and ask what areas are open in XXXXXX area without permits.

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:34 pm

The season dates shown on FWC are for private land hunting in each specified zone. The WMA's dates can vary widely from private land. You need to find the WMA's around your area and check them one by one. Here is a link to find the WMA's around you that do not requite a quota.

http://www.myfwc.com/media/547579/hunt_ ... Needed.pdf
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

MOSSYNUT
scout

Post by MOSSYNUT » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:01 pm

I like the quota system if you get drawn it gives you few days without the idiots that are to lazy or stupid to go put in for it. These seem to be the same guys that instead of doing their own scouting like to go where they see my truck parked and try to set up 40 yards away @ 11 am.

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:03 am

Well you one of the few

I like to hunt every week end public land should be open for it. To control the hunters is wrong. Control the deer with tags but this wont happen.

MOSSYNUT
scout

Post by MOSSYNUT » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:37 am

The system may not be perfect but for the most part for a few days it keeps some of the riff raff out.

HCON3
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by HCON3 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:43 am

Quota's would be ok if it weren't for the non Quota #s that get in on top of the Quota. If you put in for a Quota for 9 days and only plan on hunting one of those days then not go back is what gets me. I can see a weekend quota then open it up most people work and only hunt on weekends so a two day Quota with only those that apply no exceptions would be a more appealing hunt then to have to deal with (guests,over 65, disabled,under 16) double or even triple the quota #s. The Spring Turkey Quota is a quota no exemptions. But hey I turn 65 next year so that is when they will change it.

JBUG308
Second Class Scout

Post by JBUG308 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:57 am

MOSSYNUT wrote:I like the quota system if you get drawn it gives you few days without the idiots that are to lazy or stupid to go put in for it. These seem to be the same guys that instead of doing their own scouting like to go where they see my truck parked and try to set up 40 yards away @ 11 am.
Agreed.

There are plenty of WMA's that allow open hunting AFTER the 1st nine days and some that are open from beginning to end.
I have no problem with the state controlling the number of hunters on the land - just think if 500 hunters piled into a WMA every weekend that normally only allowed 75 a few times a year. It wouldn't be a quality hunt for too long.
Tag system is okay if everyone abides by the law/rules. Don't see that happening. Shoot a deer, no warden around or on way home, just keep it for the next trip to the woods.
No system if perfect. I feel this one has progressed over the years. There are a lot more places to hunt now in FL than there was 30 yrs ago.

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:04 pm

Not around here anything within a hour drive is quota only. let see thers 9 around me and not one open with out a quota.
Really on forums is the only place i ever find hunter that like this system.

sparkfly88
scout

Post by sparkfly88 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:32 pm

So, the gunstore owner I know, who also teaches alot of the hunting classes, one, which I took.

Told me that "usually" quotas on WMAs are only for the first nine days, and to call FWC to see if I can hunt afterall....

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:52 am

sparkfly88 wrote:So, the gunstore owner I know, who also teaches alot of the hunting classes, one, which I took.

Told me that "usually" quotas on WMAs are only for the first nine days, and to call FWC to see if I can hunt afterall....
Not very god advice from him,I must say...Read the link posted up above for WMA's that don't need a quota. First 9 days ends this coming Sunday. You need to pick a WMA you are interested in and read the dates and permit info

Many WMA's are quota for 1st 9 days, then open after that. However, many of them are quota only for the entire season
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Return to “FWC”