New member from PA, moving to Gainesville FL this summer

New member GREAT! introuduce your self here. tell a little about yourself.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

TheStig
scout

Post by TheStig » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:02 am

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I signed up so that I could learn more about Florida hunting since I am moving to Gainesville this summer (probably in August). Really looking forward to the move and to seeing what Florida has to offer!

I'm in my early 30's and I have 2 young German Shorthaired Pointers (one is a mix). They are great bird dogs and I hope to be able to use them for quail and possibly dove hunting in Florida.

I live in Pennsylvania right now where I hunt (in order of frequency/preference) pheasant, dove, woodchuck, ruffed grouse, deer, and turkey. I grew up in Minnesota hunting grouse, pheasant, and deer. My main hunting firearms are a Remington 870 and a Savage Axis .308. Since PA has a ban on semi autos for hunting, I can't use my Ruger 10/22 or SKS for hunting-- which I might be able to use in Florida if I understand correctly.

Once I get to Florida, I hope to be able to hunt dove, quail, hog, deer, gator, turkey, and rabbit. I'm an ethical hunter who currently hunts almost exclusively on public land, but I hope to also have some private land of my own at some point.

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Cr0ck1 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:54 am

Welcome!

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Re: New member from PA, moving to Gainesville FL this summer

Post by Bossman » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:27 pm

From PA, to Gville? What brings you to Fl? There is some good public land close by and it will be a big change for hunting but it all about timein the woods. I live in the Gainesville area looking forward to you moving down.

:saluting
Bossman

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:37 pm

Welcome and good luck on the move.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Tue May 07, 2013 7:50 am

Welcome! I'm also right outside of Gainesville!
I like animals, they are tasty!

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Tue May 07, 2013 9:01 am

Welcome! :rockon

What part of PA are you moving from? I lived in Johnstown for a while and hunted mostly in Westmoreland county for deer. I did get the crap scared out of me once though when I was heading to my stand in complete darkness and flushed a grouse! Whew those suckers are loud when they take off.

lamehawk
Silver Contributer

Post by lamehawk » Tue May 07, 2013 2:24 pm

welcome!
BYOB = Bring your own bait!

http://myworld.ebay.com/shad_85

Just in my camper!

bodysnatcher

Post by bodysnatcher » Tue May 07, 2013 3:48 pm

welcome
Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.

davedirt
Ordeal

Post by davedirt » Tue May 07, 2013 5:16 pm

Welcome...........
STAY HUNGRY MY FRIENDS
DUG IN TIGHTER THAN ALABAMA TICK

ROLL TIDE

Last year I was a hunter and not a harvester........

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Tue May 07, 2013 7:50 pm

Well we haven't heard from you yet and don't know when your calling summer. Here is a couple of tips for you on your first hunting season in florida. if your going to try public land and are intrested in gettting a qouta, the time to put in for them is the month of June for the first drawing. So you might need to look into applying for a qouta.

:saluting
Bossman

jtcmedic
Troop Guide

Post by jtcmedic » Tue May 07, 2013 8:21 pm

Welcome
DUTY, PRIDE, TRADITION

TheStig
scout

Post by TheStig » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:54 am

Hey guys, sorry it's been so long since I checked in! This summer got crazy between the move, starting my new job, and the birth of my baby boy. Thanks for all the welcomes and the info from Bossman. I guess I missed the boat on quotas but that's good to know for next year. There is a lot I need to figure out in terms of all the new laws and all the new habitat. For starters, it sounds like anytime I want to use my dogs while hunting, I would need to get permission from the landowner. Second, I see many stands of pine timber that are not posted; are these huntable, or are they protected like a cornfield would be?

9dawgs, I'm coming from Centre County, not far from Johnstown. I really enjoyed grouse hunting around there, especially since that was the first game I hunted growing up in Minnesota. During my last PA hunt, spring turkey, I was hearing grouse drumming all around me... this was up north near Coudersport. I can relate to the startling feeling of a grouse getting up; even when you're hunting them they still tend to be startling!

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:01 pm

Just because the land isn't posted doesn't mean that it is public land. On the WMA's they each have their own rules and it would be your responsibly to know the rules. All other land is considered private.
I don't want to come across an arrogant person (to put it mildly) but hunting down here in the south is a lot different.
Bossman

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:39 pm

Welcome!

TheStig
scout

Post by TheStig » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:11 am

Bossman wrote:Just because the land isn't posted doesn't mean that it is public land. On the WMA's they each have their own rules and it would be your responsibly to know the rules. All other land is considered private.
I don't want to come across an arrogant person (to put it mildly) but hunting down here in the south is a lot different.
Understood. In Minnesota for example, if a piece of land is not posted, it is open to hunting even if it is private land. I guess you are saying that would not be a good idea, or be downright illegal, around here.

Bossman you are absolutely right and I didn't take it as arrogant, things are a lot different down here, and I'm trying my best to figure it out. My first step is to identify where I might be able to hunt on public and/or private land and any help is appreciated. In state forests, for example, my understanding is that only land designated as a WMA is huntable within the state forest, and most WMA hunting requires a permit?

Return to “NEWBIES FORMAL FORUM”