New here from Ocala

New member GREAT! introuduce your self here. tell a little about yourself.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

ArcheoGator
scout
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

New here from Ocala

Post by ArcheoGator » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:54 pm

Hello Group,

I'm turning 35 in about a week. I was raised around firearms, thanks to my grandpa taking over to raise me. He was a WWII Marine Corps vet from the Pacific theatre. I remember guns being scattered all around the house, not to mention listening to him sing "From the halls of Montezuma. . . " every day in the shower.

Anyway, I was never raised with hunting, and after being married nine years to a GRITS, I am interested in getting started. I just finished the safety course, and just need to get my paper work in so I can buy a license.

Other than handguns (I conceal carry a Beretta 9), I have a .22 pump action rifle that I am curious about starting on rabbit and squirrel with. A shotgun may also be in the budget, but I have to financially start slowly until I build up supplies.

I'm not too terribly sure where to start, other than finding some public land and getting started on varmint. If whitetail is not in the cards this year, perhaps I will be ready for spring gobbler.

I am motivated to learn so that I can then take my boys with me as they get older. There are many things kids just don't learn nowadays, and it seems hunting is becoming one of those things not learned. I also figure it is a nice way of life to get into shape, as I have seriously let myself go since the college days.

Thanks for having me here; I look forward to a few conversations. Take care.

blackpowderscout
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Re: New here from Ocala

Post by blackpowderscout » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:56 am

Welcome!

I'd save a up a few pennies for a decent shotgun. Ain't much you can't do here with one.

You are close to Ocala NF. Just go ride and check things out. There's some really nice areas in there. There's a couple folks on here from your neck of the woods. I'm pretty sure they'll chime in and offer their advice.
"Friends don't let friends hunt with inlines."

NRA Life
Want to learn more about Traditional Blackpowder Hunting? http://traditionalblackpowderhunting.com/

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

New here from Ocala

Post by Cr0ck1 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:08 am

Welcome!

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:07 am

ArcheoGator, interesting username! Welcome to FOHAF! I like your reasoning to get your boys in the woods. Lots of good info here, sometimes it gets pretty intense and you have to "hang on" and see where it goes! Good advice has already been given by blackpowderscout! There's not a lot you can't do with a shotgun. As you probably know, guns are like knives, you can't have too many!
Treefarmer :jarhead

Star Scout

Post by 30.06 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:26 am

Welcome!
OUT OF MY COLD DEAD HANDS

ArcheoGator
scout

Post by ArcheoGator » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:07 pm

treefarmer wrote:ArcheoGator, interesting username!
It is an old username I used to have for forums. My first BA was anthropology from UF, hence I did very limited archaeology. It did not take long to realize that it should have remained an interest rather than a degree choice.

I figured a shotgun would be a good first choice. That way I can try different critters without investing too much at the beginning. It looks like things can get expensive quickly, and I can always buy more guns later after the other necessary items have been purchased.

Thank you for welcomes.

blackpowderscout

Post by blackpowderscout » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:06 pm

Get you a good 12 or 20 and you won't NEED another gun. Might want a few more but that 1 will do you for dang near anything.

NRA Life
Want to learn more about Traditional Blackpowder Hunting? http://traditionalblackpowderhunting.com/

OldCrab
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by OldCrab » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:07 pm

Welcome

slocala guy here also
Calling illegal aliens “undocumented workers” is like calling drug dealers “unlicensed pharmacists”…

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

ArcheoGator
scout

Post by ArcheoGator » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:35 pm

blackpowderscout wrote:Get you a good 12 or 20 and you won't NEED another gun. Might want a few more but that 1 will do you for dang near anything.
Any recommendations? I don't have the cash for a Browning, etc., unless used. Also, I have to be careful how much I spend until I convince the wife that I can actually get into this. She would think it is all worth it the first time I can fill the freezer. Is it possible to land a good starter for $300-$500?

blackpowderscout

Post by blackpowderscout » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:49 pm

All day long. Go find you a Mossberg 500 or something similar.

NRA Life

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Post by M12Gunboy » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:16 pm

First off Welcome. I agree about getting your boys out in the woods. My 16 year old step son seems to be a losing battle, he was nearly 10 when we got married and I wasn't around to get him started early and set the bug...

I wouldn't buy anything new. There are alot of deals out there on used guns, you just need to do some homework deciding what make, model, action and gauge you want and go find it. As far as pump shotguns go you should be able to find a good used Remington 870 Wingmaster 12 gauge or 20 gauge with a vent ribbed barrel for $300-400 and then pick up a short 20" rifled slug or smooth bore rifle sighted barrel as an addition for another $100-200 down the road. I would try and stay away from the Remington Express model 870's as they aren't a Wingmaster. The Mossbergs are fine but in my opinion are rattle traps and don't have as slick and fine tuned action as the old Wingmasters. The old Ithaca 37's are also another good choice and can be had in the same price range. As far as semi auto shotguns the ole Remington 1100 and Browning A5 are a excellent choice and can be had in the $500 range.

I am in the process of acquiring another estate gun collection (hopefully it happens) and if it happens I will see what I can do to square you away with a high quality used shotgun within your budget range....

ArcheoGator
scout

Post by ArcheoGator » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:10 pm

Thank you Gunboy.

My oldest will soon be eight. His first trip camping he spent in a playpen since he was not even walking yet. Now he asks to spend his birthdays camping, so that is a good sign. He Bluegill fishes with me and does it all other than baiting the hook. He gets hung up on being afraid to hook himself.

My youngest is 20 months, started walking at eight months, and climbed out of his crib a couple months back. I am in trouble with that one.

Anyway, it seems like hunting should catch for all of us. Not only do I look forward to the process, I want to show these boys where our food comes from. Take care.

bellyacher
First Class Scout

Post by bellyacher » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:49 am

Hello from NE Ocala. send me a PM about setting up a meet. I have an extra shotgun and rifle Id be willing to let you use when we hunt the same location at same time. I have a few good spots and would be will to help you get started. Find yourself a treestand, I only have one for myself. Welcome to FOHAF and the world of hunting
Be polite, be professional, BUT have a plan to kill everybody you meet

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

New here from Ocala

Post by Cr0ck1 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:09 am

Welcome!

jesse
scout

Post by jesse » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:51 pm

welcome; istarted hunting when I was eight, dog hunting with my dad. I had a gun but no shells I enjoyed the action of walking the dogs in and the dogs pushing a deer out. kids love to try an catch dogs. after the dogs were boxed dad most always found me a squirrel to shoot. good times. I will hunt Ocala pipeline unit nov. 16 to dec.1 send me a pm if I can help.

Return to “NEWBIES FORMAL FORUM”