A little help ....please

Discuss all your Camping and Recreation here. Campsites, Fees, Experiences.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

swampbird
scout

A little help ....please

Post by swampbird » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:29 pm

I bought a popup to use for hunting .... It's a jayco and it has some age to it but seems to be all there. i couldn't find any rotten wood or evidence of leaks, but i'm sure i will run into needing parts and stuff for it.....
My questions..

I need a hitch....I'm very mechanical and i've put them on trucks before....but who has the best prices in the Pinellas County area? I can get a class 3/4 that bolts on to the frame at Auto Zone for $249, i'm just clueless as to where to shop for them.

jayco parts....any local dealers or web sites that are good for parts and stuff. I'm sure i will be replacing tires, doing the wheel bearing check and lube or replacement thing...
I'm sure someone has purchased a fixer upper and can point me in the right direction.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: A little help ....please

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:11 pm

You can get a hitch installed with wiring and all for less than $300 at a Uhaul place
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:52 pm

theres a northern freight tool store and harbor freight on 19 in new port ritchey. also tractor supply's .
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

swampbird
scout

Post by swampbird » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:59 pm

nachogrande wrote:theres a northern freight tool store
Thanks...they had a hitch, drop and ball for a $173 out the door....I bolted it up tonight...... now i need a wiring harness.....

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:42 am

swampbird wrote:
Thanks...they had a hitch, drop and ball for a $173 out the door....I bolted it up tonight...... now i need a wiring harness.....
I have set up my jeep so I can flat tow it to camp. Northern Freight had some cheap versions of an emergency tow light set with weak magnetic bases (bad reviews). I decided to spend a little extra money and bought the ones at Lowes (Petersons brand I believe). They worked great, the magnets are strong (no fear of them falling off) and I carry them in my truck in case I ever have issues with the lights on my boat trailer.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:52 pm

when younger we started hunting/camping on the ground, then tents,pop ups,airstreams then motels in our older ages. but I liked the pop-ups cuz you could virtualy tow them anywhere and still be able to see out your rear window.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Devinv
scout

Post by Devinv » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:20 pm

When we had the bed off my brothers f250 we took a 2x4 and drilled in some harbor freight lights into it. Quick and easy.. and more stable then magnetic lights.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:48 pm

Triple Creek Reaper wrote:
swampbird wrote:
I have set up my jeep so I can flat tow it to camp. Northern Freight had some cheap versions of an emergency tow light set with weak magnetic bases (bad reviews). I decided to spend a little extra money and bought the ones at Lowes (Petersons brand I believe). They worked great, the magnets are strong (no fear of them falling off) and I carry them in my truck in case I ever have issues with the lights on my boat trailer.
How much do the Lowe's brand run? I am having issues with my work trailer.R side brake light that I can't seem to fix.
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Post by GoodOyster » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:44 pm

I put the Harbor Freight magnetic lights on my little utility trailer I bought when we were moving earlier this year. Meant to replace with permanent lights, but heck, they work good, so I haven't bothered with it. For under $20 they work fine.
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:34 am

Devinv wrote:When we had the bed off my brothers f250 we took a 2x4 and drilled in some harbor freight lights into it. Quick and easy.. and more stable then magnetic lights.
I had an extra standard set of lights and tried this, I was going to mount it on the tire carrier that most jeeps have. For the life of me I could not get them to ground correctly. I had it set up so it would be a quick disconnect when I got to camp. I spent a couple of days messing with it and gave up. Going to keep that set for parts now.

I spent in the $40 range for the ones at Lowes. I like the fact that no ground wire was needed on the lights.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

Return to “CAMPING & RECREATION”