Refilling 1lb propane bottles

Discuss all your Camping and Recreation here. Campsites, Fees, Experiences.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Kortsman
Star Scout

Refilling 1lb propane bottles

Post by Kortsman » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:54 pm

Anyone fill their own? I got back from my annual camping trip and used about 15 of them over 5 days. I've been reading about refilling them and it seems pretty easy. I've also read how others are opposed to refilling them. I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience. Any other tips they can share?

X711
Assistant Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: Refilling 1lb propane bottles

Post by X711 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:02 pm

haven't done it in awhile, but its fairly simple.. never had any problems and still using the batch I filled over a year ago
just don't overfill or do the fill for longer then instructions state.

fool proof way is to use a digital package scale to watch weight as its being filled. (empty bottle, hit tare to zero then fill up.. would try to stay under say 80% capacity for safety)

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:13 am

Anymore i just bring a big tank and the hose. 15 in 5 days that's allot you using heaters or leaving a lantern on all night?

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:26 am

Get a propane tree and a couple propane hoses. No need for all those little bottles. You can run a lantern on the top of the tree, and run a hose to a coleman stove We did the refill thing once and thought it was a PIA. You got to put them in a cooler to get them cold, then refill them. All my other lanterns are battery powered now, only use the one gas lantern
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:38 am

yup, a big btl, distribution tree and 2 hoses and you can run lantern,stove and heater off 1 btl and it lasts quite a while.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:38 am

nachogrande wrote:yup, a big btl, distribution tree and 2 hoses and you can run lantern,stove and heater off 1 btl and it lasts quite a while.
Yep, that's the set-up I use. Haven't used the small bottles in years. I normally just take the big tank from my grill when I head to the woods.

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:06 am

sling a rope over a limb attach the lantern and raise it high as the hose allows lights up the whole camp.

Kortsman
Star Scout

Post by Kortsman » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:30 pm

I saw those distribution trees, but I'll setup a few lanterns so that the kids don't trip over anything. And yes we were using tent heaters. I have one of those Mr. Heater Buddy heaters and it goes through a bottle by itself in about 4.5 hrs on the low setting. Maybe I'll just get another propane tank and run a few hoses like suggested. It may come out cheaper in the long run.

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:52 pm

good sleeping bags means no heater required.
Hell if you can drive in get a big canvas tent and a pot belly stove heater. i tent camp out of the boat. so everything is to the min.

kc45
Troop Bugler

Post by kc45 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:21 pm

I have two Coleman propane lanterns at the camp but mostly we just use couple of battery powered LED laterns. They have good light output and good battery life. Ones I have use 6 D batteries and a set of Duracells will go 4-5 days. I don't like to run the generator as I don't like the noise at night so even in the camper I use battery powdered LED lights. I would like to run a set of solar panels and batteries on the camper to run some stuff in future.

Return to “CAMPING & RECREATION”