CAMPER VALUE/PRICE

Discuss all your Camping and Recreation here. Campsites, Fees, Experiences.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

SWAMPFOX
scout

CAMPER VALUE/PRICE

Post by SWAMPFOX » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:44 pm

I'm looking at buying used 2005 Jayco camper. It's about 26-28' and seems to be in fair to good shape.

The asking price is $4000. I don't know if this is a fair price or if I'm getting taken.

There is some water damage in the front where the master bedroom is and I've provide pix of the damage. I can't tell how serious it is at this point.

Also the hot water heater doesn't work but I've been told it just needs a couple of thermostats. Everything else--AC, toilet, shower, heater, gas stove, oven, micro wave all work the way they're supposed to.

Any advice info would be appreciated.
Attached Images
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

houseofmicah
Eagle Scout
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: CAMPER VALUE/PRICE

Post by houseofmicah » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:59 pm

is the issue that caused the water damage taken care of?

SWAMPFOX
scout

Post by SWAMPFOX » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:23 pm

Yes. I'm just concerned there might be mold.

P'duck
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by P'duck » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:31 pm

Walk away!!!! The issue inside the wall will travel to the floor along with insulation. Good price but with a cost.

JBUG308
Second Class Scout

Post by JBUG308 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:09 am

I think its a little high considering the work involved to get it back up to snuff. If its water damaged up there chances are its also rotted down below it as well. I have an old camper that did the same thing, but not a Jayco.

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:34 am

I'm currently working on an RV I was given that had water damage up front under the forward a/c. The entire roof up there was rotted as well as the floor beneath. If you're willing to do the work to get it right then go for it but tell the guy that you want to pay $2500 instead of the $4000 he's asking. It's a LOT of work to get it right as I've discovered. Also if he says the leak is fixed, get the name and contact info of the place that did it. If he said he did it himself, then he probably just bought a tube of caulk from HD and plastered the crap out of it where he thought it was leaking. If he did it himself and he still wants $4000, then walk away...

My 2 cents. :eek

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:07 pm

That is a good starting pricebut as said above, there will be a fair amount of labor to go with it. But nothing that can't be done with a little of time laike working on it after you get home from work. if the leak is something he fixed I'd go into myself and redo his work just for my own satifaction. You can fix any rot issues with some time (walls and floors) the hot water heater is a peice of cake maybe a element. Even if it is a thermastat no big deal to change. If you buy it for $3,000 spend a little time with it and it would be worth $5,000 easy. It would be a sweet fixer up deal or even a flop around and make some extra cash. The hardest part of a camper is having to work on the door.

:saluting
Bossman

P'duck
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by P'duck » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:33 am

If you buy it there is an RV roof sealant that's a thick liquid, purchase it and seal the roof yourself. The liquis sealer will fill in cracks and seal deep within, however if it has a rubber roof you could be looking around 8-10k for a replacement

lamehawk
Silver Contributer

Post by lamehawk » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:15 pm

little bit high priced for the problems I looked for long time found a great camper for 3500 and it is a 2005 gulfstream just keep looking or offer less.
BYOB = Bring your own bait!

http://myworld.ebay.com/shad_85

Just in my camper!

Return to “CAMPING & RECREATION”