Father son camping trip

Discuss all your Camping and Recreation here. Campsites, Fees, Experiences.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

DONY1
Junior Assistant Scout Master
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Father son camping trip

Post by DONY1 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:20 am

I am fortunate to have a great group of friends that spend a lot of time together with our families. We get together at least once a week to BBQ or go out to dinner (usually 20 - 30 people) and all of the kids are the best of friends. I live in a golf course community and we all live here and spend a lot of time at the course. The ages of the kids are from 3-12 with one at 14 yrs. old. Only 1 of the guys has done any hunting and that was 2 years ago when I took him to the glades and he was able to get his 1st buck with a bow. I usually get my 1st deer of each year made into link sausage and bring it to all of the get together BBQ's to cook 1st as a munchy before the real meal and have gotten all of the kids to the point where they ask if we're gonna have deer again as soon as I show up.

All of the kids have gotten to see pics of the woods and camp and game taken by myself and buddies over the last few years and are always asking me to take them hunting. It got me thinking and after checking the FWC site I decided to put together a weekend camping trip at a local WMA with the chance of seeing some game and maybe take a hog. I figured I would get only a few takers but to my surprise all of the dads were game. Started planning it 3 weeks in advance. Between some of the guys borrowing some stuff and the rest of us bringing our extra stuff we had enough gear to cover for everyone.

As the weekend started getting closer I started getting asked a lot of questions from everyone and it was then that I realized that this was gonna be a great opportunity to introduce the kids and some of their dads to our love of the woods. At the same time I realized that I had better come through or I could sway some of them the other way. I put together a basic suggestion list of stuff for each dad to bring along with an overall list for camp like lanterns, stoves, coffe pots and whatever. You guys know the stuff I'm talking about.

We all met up on Saturday and headed for camp. The kids were fired up and ready to go. Got to camp and set everything up. Amazingly we had everything we needed for a great weekend. I got all the kids together and settled down and had a talk about gun safety, snakes, respecting wildlife and other hunters and campers. We also talked about how there were no mommies around and how everyone was to help out and take care of themselves. I'm very happy to say that they all listened very well and were obviously paying attention because they were great all weekend. Loaded up a couple trucks and headed out for a drive around. After 20 min. we spotted 3 deer in a pasture and watched them for about 10 min. The kids loved it. Headed around a little more and saw a few more deer and headed back to camp at dark. The kids couldn't stop talking about seeing deer and asking me to take them again when we could hunt. For me the weekend was already a success. Threw some taters on the coals and cooked up over an open fire some burgers and dogs for the kids and let them eat before we threw on some 2" thick marinated rib eyes for the guys. Steaks were as good as I've ever had. As we were eating we broke out some marshmallows for the kids and let them have at it. All of us sat around the fire with the kids and talked smack for hours. Every little one became one of the guys and even joked around like they were. We told stories and after a while all the kids went to sleep on their own. The adult beverages kept flowing till about 2am when we all decided it was time to call it a night so we could ride around a little 1st thing in the morning.

I got up about 5:30 and stoked the fire back up. Brrr, it was 37*. Got the coffee going on the fire and just stared at it trying to wake up. Right before 6 one of the guys rolled over and hit the alarm on his truck. He finally found his remote to shut it off but it was too late. Everyone was awake and some of them weren't really happy about it. LOL. It was easy to tell which kids weren't morning people also. We sat around for a bit and I asked who wanted to go out for a drive and most of them perked up and said they did. A couple of the guys stayed back and off we went. Saw some deer again and then one of the kids spotted what they thought was a hog on the other side of a huge flag pond. Looking through the binos they could see it walking away into some tall sawgrass. As the kids watched from the road we started to sneak around each side of the pond. One of the guys that stayed back said the kids were watching and getting really excited that they were able to see the whole thing unfold. As I got around to the other side I finally saw a tag in an ear and realized I was stalking up on a cow! After laughing at myself I turned around and came back out. Jumped a doe on the way out and got back to the truck only to be told that that wasn't what they saw. We watched as my buddy got around to the area but never found the hog. We headed back to camp for breakfast.

Got back to camp to find the other guys cooking up a hell of a spread. More ribeyes, eggs, sausage, bacon, potatoes, burgers, dogs and of course marshmallows. They were showing us pics of a couple of deer that were walking right outside our camp area when one of the kids spotted a couple deer about 75 yds away feeding. The kids just loved watching them. After eating some steak and eggs I decided to walk over and check out the deer. I then decided to test out my stalking ability. As I slowly stalked up on them some of the kids noticed and they started watching me. I was able to get to about 20 yds before a doe noticed me. I froze and she did the familiar head bob and stomping routine. I could hear the kids whispering about it and after 5 min I decided that she had won and that I would just walk up to her until she flagged and took off. Figured it would be a good talk with the kids about them flagging and what not. Forgot that these does are never messed with and was able to get to 10' before she had had enough. But she didn't flag at all. She just turned and walked away. I walked slowly behind her around a clearing and through a head and was never farther than 10 yds at any time. Walked back into camp and she followed me right back to the clearing and started feeding again.

We decided to pack up and head home. The kids were great and we were packed up in about an hour or so. On the way home I was thinking to myself how this was truly a great memory for the families that will never be forgotten and that I had hopefully passed down a great tradition that may carry over for generations. We got home in a couple hours and each went our seperate ways to unpack and relax. Within 2 hours of getting home I got 3 phone calls and texts from mother's thanking me for putting this together. All of their kids were going on and on about how much fun they had and that we were going to do it again. Some of the dads wanted to know where to go to buy all of their own camping gear. It was then that I realized how well this really went.

My hope on this trip was to show the outdoors to some kids and their dads and that they would enjoy it enough that they would continue to camp and hunt. There is no doubt in my mind that most of them will continue this great passion we have and I will get to enjoy their company for many years to come. 2 of the dads are already planning on getting all of their camping gear. I'm also already planning the next one but it will include the whole family. Gonna have a camping weekend in the Keys and we'll bring the boats too. All in all it was a smashing success and I feel like there are at least a dozen more outdoorsmen in our ranks after this trip. :toast

bodysnatcher

Re: Father son camping trip

Post by bodysnatcher » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:30 am

Sounds like you all had a great time. :toast And bless you for taking on such a trip. :salute3d
Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.

DONY1
Junior Assistant Scout Master

Post by DONY1 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:20 pm

Thanks. The kids were really fired up about seeing something. I was hoping they wouldn't be let down and they weren't. 2 more parents just called to thank me also. Good times with good friends and lifelong memories.

BUDMAN76
scout

Post by BUDMAN76 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:25 am

Great story/trip!!! More kids need to hit the woods instead of the street. My oldest son does not like the outdoors. My youngest son (who died 3 years ago) loved the outdoors and wish he was around to share things with. Everyone enjoy your kids before they get to big or before it is to late.

down4dacount
Second Class Scout

Post by down4dacount » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:40 pm

Doug that was awesome , it's great to get kids involved .
Whack Em and Stack Em Pro Staff
ShotKam Prostaff
Full moons make me crazy and I go out and kill deer . Come to think all moon phases do that to me

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:21 am

This is why i always preach to the FWC to add more camping to WMA,s during hunting season. The best way to get kids involved is a good time.

That's what make good sportsman- fathers and family hunting and camping together.

Make it a yearly event. good job

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

This is why i always preach to the FWC to add more camping to WMA,s during hunting season. The best way to get kids involved is a good time.

That's what make good sportsman- fathers and family hunting and camping together.

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

jsnole
scout

Post by jsnole » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:31 pm

Awesome thing! Big congrats to changing peoples lives in a positive way. My hats off to ya! What WMA did you use?

Return to “CAMPING & RECREATION”