Shotgun for women?

This is a special forum for the LADY HUNTERS AND FISHERWOMEN!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

ChickwithaGun
scout

Shotgun for women?

Post by ChickwithaGun » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:51 pm

Hi,

Today I went skeet shooting and used a shotgun for the first time. I wanted to see about getting a shotgun because of the contest going on and just because I thought it would be good to have. My instructor told me that I should be looking for a shotgun that is made for a woman...higher on the cheek, more rounded against the shoulder, the right length.

I had done research and was thinking about the Bernelli Legacy 28 (nice and light) but the shells was told it would mean that we would have to make our own shells for that size. So I was thinking of the 20 gauge. Or there is the Mossberg, not semi-automatic but pink. I really wanted the Remington 1187, semi automatic and pink, but I read a lot about the Remington Shotguns jamming. I came home and googled Shotguns for Women and read a great article about a shotgun designed by a woman made for women by TriStar, but they no longer make it.

So, my question to the ladies here is can you recommend a shotgun that works for a small female. I am under 5' and, although I can enjoy shooting a 30/30, I wouldn't enjoy walking for miles carrying the 7.6 pound rifle. Any thoughts? Pink is a preferred color or something that sings to me.

Thanks for your help.

Jeni

john l
Assistant Scout Master

Re: Shotgun for women?

Post by john l » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:00 pm

I'm not a woman, but I did stay in a Holiday inn last night. :clown I do own a 11-87 and love it. Mine has never jammed once, and come to think of it I've never even cleaned it. (guess I should probably do that) I've taken dozens of hogs with it. But it is on the heavy side, after carrying it a for a while it will ware you out.

john l
Assistant Scout Master

Post by john l » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:06 pm

FLDXT wrote:Don't be scared of a 12ga. There are plenty of good 12's that have little to no recoil because of recoil pads, gas operation etc... I have a 20 ga pump that will bruise me worse after a day of dove hunting then my 12 semi. I think a 28 ga is a probably not the best load for larger game hunting and I think that you will be limited on your ammo selection, range etc... My 12 ga. turkey gun is a pump and my wife has no problem shooting 2 3/4" turkey loads out of it. I think that you can also buy reduced recoil loads for the 12. I don't know what prive range you are looking at but a good gas operated 12, like a Benelli, Beretta, Franchi have lower recoil then a pump 12 or something of that sorts, just my opinion. If you can get by with a 12 then there is so much more you can do with it, slug barrels, turkey chokes, etc... then a 28 or some of the smaller gauges. Just my opinion and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night.
I agree 100% my 11-87 has very little recoil shooting 2 3/4 slugs. And if your a good shot all it takes is one shot and your done for the day. Try to shoot a few if possible before making a decision. 12 gage ammo is very easy to find and gives you many more options to choose from.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:53 pm

any decent gunsmith can make a gun fit you better. first off you will need a stock with a shorter length of pull, "lop" ( the distance from the butpad to the trigger i'm guessing 12 - 13", normaly they come with 14 1/4". after that an aftermarket recoil pad like a simmons or pachmaer that will reduce the felt recoil ( I'd recomend a gunsmith do this for you and at the same time he can cut the stock to your dimensions, for about 50-60$$.a 24" smoothbore barrell with interchangable chokes will let you shoot buckshot, bird shot or rifled slugs for deer or hogs and turkey, later you could add a rifled barrel with a scope for shooting slugs exclusively with much better accuracy and distance, and maybe a 26 or 28" smoothbore barrel for dove/phesant/ducks. in the woods with adrenalin flowing you won't notice recoil, only at the range.mossberg makes a 20 gauge youth/women sized gun called " the bantam " and it can be had in full camo and sometimes in a combo pack with 2 barrels for under 400$ and you may not need to make any alterations at all. give it a look see, it's a pump action and not as good quality as a benneli but abouty 1/3 the price and a ton more options of affordable barrels and stocks and will serve your purposes just fine. don't go any smaller than 20 gauge, 12 would be better, but for a small sized female and newbie to boot the 20 wouldn't be a bad place to start. good luck.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Post by GoodOyster » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:33 pm

I've never hunted for a woman with a shotgun, but I know they can be ornery, so you better put them down with the first shot... :oops
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

bodysnatcher
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by bodysnatcher » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:34 pm

GoodOyster wrote:I've never hunted for a woman with a shotgun, but I know they can be ornery, so you better put them down with the first shot... :oops
:no :no :no
Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.

vonnick52
Star Scout

Post by vonnick52 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:44 am

GoodOyster wrote:I've never hunted for a woman with a shotgun, but I know they can be ornery, so you better put them down with the first shot... :oops
Best $hit I've heard/read in awhile. :lol:
Dream Team
You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country of out the boy.

Skunk Ape
Vigil

Post by Skunk Ape » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:56 am

Take a look at the remington express youth shotguns. Inexpensive and several choices to choose from.They're usually available at wal-mart and for your stature it would probably be perfect for you.

ChickwithaGun
scout

Post by ChickwithaGun » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:21 am

I am so glad someone left the door open to the Ladies Room. Thank you all for your comments (even about ornery women!). I am thinking a youth gun will be the best bet for me and I am thinking of 20 gauge, unless I find something light in a 12ga. I am really most concerned about weight of the shotgun because I am a wimp. The Mossberg is sounding really good (although not semi automatic) and it comes in pink!

It's great to know that a gunsmith can do a lot of the fitting on the gun. I hadn't thought of that. Now I know that I have a bit more shopping to do, but, being a woman that is something I know I can handle!

Thanks for all of your help. It's nice to feel welcome.

ChickwithaGun
scout

Post by ChickwithaGun » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:24 am

Nacho,

I wanted to also let you know that your comments are really appreciated. I read all you said and you explained several things I had no clue about. I had read about chokes but had no clue what they were or why many guns come with 3. Now I understand. And the Mossberg seems to have the higher butt that was recommended. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:16 am

glad I could be of help. the remmington 870's are fine guns also ( thats why alot of police use them ) but I think the mossberg has more options of barrels/stocks and colors? be prepared for alot of kidding if you choose pink. not the best choice for turkey hunting, but you could cover it up with camo temporarily. and you won't have to worry about your husband using your gun, in public at least. now go get some practice in before the contest starts. a propper fitting shotgun is every hunters dream, they will naturaly shoot where you are looking/pointing. think about pointing your finger at something you never miss, now just apply that same principle to the shotgun.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

houseofmicah
Eagle Scout

Post by houseofmicah » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:24 am

my wife shoots clay with a rem 1100 20 guage. she loves it. its a trap gun, not a field gun but the recoil is low and she handles it well. i agree with FLDXT, dont be scared of the 12. when we were shooting lots of trap, there were quite a few 12's that she liked. the 1100 is just the one she felt was the most comfortable. her 870 express is not as fun to shoot for her, and she is not nearly as accurate. i believe her first practice round of trap she busted 19 or 20 out of 25. we use to frequent knights trail, and im sure like there, other trap places have people that will let you fire their weapons to see if it is a gun that will work for you. i bought my wifes gun out of the trunk of the president of the gun clubs mercedes. ask around while you are at the park to see if anyone has anything you can try out, and have fun!

vonnick52
Star Scout

Post by vonnick52 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:35 am

I recently found out that the Mossberg 500 in 12 Gauge has a compatible barrel that is a .50 cal black powder.

That wouldn't a bad setup, one gun, can shoot blackpowder, slugs, or put on a 28" bbl and shoot some clays, birdies, bunnies or tree rats. It would really open up a lot more seasons to you. Mossberg's website says $113 for the barrel.

I have a Mossberg 20 gauge with a 24" slug barrel that I am about to replace with a 12 gauge. She is a little beat up and could use a re-bluing on the barrel, but she shoots straight. I don't know if you're looking for a used gun or something nice and shiny, but I'd be more than happy to let you shoot it and see what you think regardless.
Dream Team
You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country of out the boy.

vonnick52
Star Scout

Post by vonnick52 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:20 pm

Dunno, I was wondering the same thing... http://mossberg.com/products/access.asp ... ion=access You can see the .50 caliber bbl listed on there and it specifically says muzzleloader.
Dream Team

lamehawk
Silver Contributer

Post by lamehawk » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:36 pm

I had one for my 500 but sold it years back it was kind of nice to have the muzzleloader bbl but needed the money.
BYOB = Bring your own bait!

http://myworld.ebay.com/shad_85

Just in my camper!

Return to “LADIES ROOM”