FOHAF.COM Peacock Bass Trip. UPDATED!!

This is a forum for "Fishing" Meets & Greets or general "Get Togethers"

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: FOHAF.COM Peacock Bass Trip.

Post by Cr0ck1 » Tue May 18, 2010 6:37 pm

LOL.. gotta see if he has a chest to pin it on.. lol..

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Post by GoodOyster » Tue May 18, 2010 9:13 pm

Guarantee I won't be sleeping on my stomach with you around!
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Sat May 22, 2010 5:29 pm

So far the peacocks have had lock jaw. Tried to present them everything in every way.. We still didnt use shiners..

I didnt catch nothing so far.. My boy caught the first bass. then 2 more.. Gary caught a sicklet and 3 bass... Dony1 caught a like a 7 lb bass and lost another big one..

Were getting back on it tonight..

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sat May 22, 2010 5:32 pm

Cichlid :smartass
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Sat May 22, 2010 6:05 pm

don't forgt to go to w. avenida ocho and tell all my chicas chulo nacho says hey.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sat May 22, 2010 6:11 pm

I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

DONY1
Junior Assistant Scout Master

Post by DONY1 » Sat May 22, 2010 10:22 pm

Tough day fishing to say the least. We did find some nice bass though. Tomorrow is another day. Hoping they'll be hungry in the morning. I've got 2 bait shops to hit in the morning to get a little heads up.

DONY1

Post by DONY1 » Sun May 23, 2010 1:45 am

We were within a few blocks of there but I heard in the paper they were closed now. That canal on 168 had em but they wouldn't hit anything. That was the only spot they were on beds still.

JDiaz
scout

Post by JDiaz » Sun May 23, 2010 10:18 pm

I wish you guys luck. Like i was mentioning to Carlos the best thing is to hit the canals like crazy. If you are anywhere in hialeah there is a bait shop next to Okechobee rd, on 8th ave west and 18st(1795 W. 8th Ave), they sell shiners,6.99 a dozen i believe, the entrance is on the side. Again good luck
Ducks and doves are more important than deers and hogs.

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Mon May 24, 2010 2:36 pm

So heres the story. Friday at 3:30 i met goodoyster at his house and we headed down. Stopped on 41 and fished a little. The gators were going crazy with the top water so we just packed up and moved on.

We got to the hotel at about 9pm and met with DONY1 and went to chillis to get dinner. After that we went to sleep and woke up at 7 showered and headed for breakfast then out to fish. First canal Dony1 got a Huge bass but it broke off. Then we hit several other canals. The first one to catch a bass was my son Devin. Then we moved on again to another and my son got 1 more bass and we still had no bass or most importantly no Peacocks!

We finally went to a nice crystal clear lake and Dony1 Got a huge monster bass, My son got another and gary 3 bass. We them moved on to another lake and i got a brim.

We went to sever al other canals and fished. We Finally saw some Peacocks on ledges at this one canal. They were not biting Noting would work.

We went back to the hotel ordered some pizza and went to bed. Woke up at 5:30 and showered and headed out to fish. We hit several canals that looked promising the day before. No Peacocks. Then we decided to go to the one canal where we saw the peacocks on the ledges. Dony1 picked up some shiners we were sure that it was going to be game on with the shiners. We threw the shiners and NOTHING. Actually put the shiner in front of the Peacocks mouth and nothing. TOTAL LOCK JAW.

I finally decided to just try to piss the darn Peacock off. I put on a rattle trap and ran it past him. He didnt even care it was there.. Then i remembered reading that you need to run the lure past the Peacock at lightning speed to even get its attention. So i re casted past it and then hauled asss past him and BAM he made a total u turn and smashed the rattle trap. This little thing was fighting like it was huge.. But it was small. So its true they do fight like they are twice as big as they really are. RIght after i put him back Dony got slammed and got a peacock SO the weekend was a success. We went there to catch peacock and we did. Thats the whole reason we went down. And the mission was accomplished.

We then headed home and fished 41 a little and only got gar. So we headed home and that was the end to a great weekend! Had a great time.

I would like to thank Dony1 for taking us around all weekend, for the shiners, and the drinks in Chilis!. I would also like to thank ihunt, jdiaz, and rad07 for the google map spots!

Here are the pics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Re: FOHAF.COM Peacock Bass Trip. UPDATED!!

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon May 24, 2010 2:54 pm

Dony looks like a munchkin from Wizard of OZ standing next to you two giants

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Mon May 24, 2010 3:01 pm

one of the "lollypop twins"? lol

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Post by GoodOyster » Mon May 24, 2010 3:19 pm

DONY may not be the biggest guy in the pics, but he sure as heck knows how to fish and how to be hospitable! I can't thank him enough for helping us out, hooking us up with where to stay, etc. We wouldn't have had near as good a time without him around. We really appreciate the effort he made to get us on some peacocks. Especially after the stuff he went through Saturday night after leaving us around 4pm. But that's his story to tell!

I'm willing to make another trip or five down there, whatever it takes to get a pea-bass. A little cichlid that was barely twice as big as my X-rap and 3 small largemouths ain't what I went down there for!
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

DONY1

Post by DONY1 » Mon May 24, 2010 3:33 pm

LOL. That's funny right there. I had a good time with the guys and wish we could have done better on the peacocks. You can't say we didn't try. I've never hit so many different spots in the same day even when fishing in the glades. Next trip is gonna be in a jon boat or a gheenoe. I've got another lead on a gheenoe that I hope will come through. I don't do too much fresh water fishing anymore but these guys got me out there and got the fire started again. Forgot how many canals and lakes there are down south.

We ran into a guy fishing a canal in a flats boat in Miami that said the cold snap we had a while back put a hurting on them. We followed Google Earth all over Miami and fished some awesome looking places but the peas just weren't biting I guess. Next trip is to the spot I caught them at a couple weeks ago. It's just too far to walk unless it's an all day trip. When I get a boat for the trip that I can pull out to go around the dam I'll call you guys and set it up. We're definitely gonna give it a try again. :toast

DONY1

Post by DONY1 » Mon May 24, 2010 3:35 pm

Saturday night is a whole nother topic. :lol:

Return to “FISHING MEET AND GREETS OR GET TOGETHERS”