NY Grouse and Rabbit hunt

This is a forum to discuss all your Small Game Hunting here. Rabbit, Squirel ect.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

NY Grouse and Rabbit hunt

Post by M12Gunboy » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:01 pm

Just got to western NY for a surprise 65th Birthday party for mom tomorrow, which gave me a good reason to come and also do a mid season grouse and cottontail hunt with my dad. Wish us luck.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Re: NY Grouse and Rabbit hunt

Post by nachogrande » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:49 pm

enjoy time with Dad/Mom & grouse.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:27 am

So, are you going to drink grouse and hunt rabbits?

Good luck man. Tell mom happy birthday from FOHAF
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Star Scout

Post by 30.06 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:59 am

Have a great time man!
OUT OF MY COLD DEAD HANDS

BUDMAN76
scout

Post by BUDMAN76 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:40 am

I AM FROM THAT AREA. LET ME KNOW WHERE YOU GO HUNTING AND HOW IT WAS?

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Post by M12Gunboy » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:16 am

BUDMAN76 wrote:I AM FROM THAT AREA. LET ME KNOW WHERE YOU GO HUNTING AND HOW IT WAS?
Folks live in Hamburg NY on a small 10 acre farm surrounded by prime hunting land which we've hunted for the last 30 years.

Have 30 acres and cabin located next to another 30 acres of family property on either side which butts up to the Golden Hill State Forest (2300 Acres) in Franklinville, NY.

Having 60 acres logged for saw timber and firewood since the Gypsie Moths have really nailed our side of the hill.

No luck hunting, just about 3-4 hours walking around the properties and enjoying the time in the woods with my father. We had a greta time. Got up there late Saturday night the 15th, and everything was in cabin like it always is, unmolested, fired up the coleman lantern, wood stove and in 20 minutes we were in our t-shirts and it was 27 degrees out.

In the 40 or so years our family has had the properties and cabin up there we have never had an issue of anything being stolen, destroyed or broken into. It's really amazing as the only thing that's locked up is the gate on the driveway. It's nice to just pack a back pack with clothes, grab a few guns and ammo, a small cooler with food and drink, and a couple gallons of water and head out. It's about 1hr 15 minutes from my folks home in Hamburg, NY, door to door.

Sure miss the peace and quiet up there... During our walk, if I saw 20 piles of deer droppings I saw 200, more than I've ever seen. Down on the bottom is 1475 acres of property owned by a timber company (our rivals for over 30 years, Hatfields and McCoys) and they have been doing serious clear cuts in the bottom due to the Gypsie moths. We are leaving anything 14" or smaller, that's live standing timber and hopefully in 10 years we'll have a mature woods back. It's gonna be a honey hole once we get the logging roads planted and a few food plots put in with all the new cover and young growth which will be coming up after logging is completed.

drgn4sr
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by drgn4sr » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:57 am

My Dad and I did those hunts back in New England, Mass. and Maine, when I was 7-12 years old. No cabin but in the woods early to hear the grouse "thumping" and watching the cottontails make Dad mumble under his breath. Enjoy the time.

Return to “SMALL GAME HUNTING FORUM”