Small Game Homasassa -- Good trip ... with the Rhinos

This is a forum to discuss all your Small Game Hunting here. Rabbit, Squirel ect.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

fishindad
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Small Game Homasassa -- Good trip ... with the Rhinos

Post by fishindad » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:56 am

It was time to take the kids on their first squirrel hunt. We happened to be up in the Rousseau area AND Homosassa was ok for the weekend.... so off we went. Little did we know ahead of time just how noisy 2 kids could be in the woods! LOL.

We arrived at 0 dark 30 and both kids were ready to go. My son and my nephew both had their 410s and we were ready to work on the tree rat population. ReelMojo and I had never done this before so we did not have high expectations. We also had never been to Homosassa before so we did not know the area either. For us really it was about getting the kids out there to experience it and just to do some general scouting. The weather was great so it was a good day to get out there.

After checking in we walked and walked. Then... thats when the kids feet went from lifting to shuffling. We pretty much knew at that point we were scaring anything in a 2 mile area. About noon... thats when the the kids clearly were done. Wanting this to be a good experience, we packed it up at that point. Both asked to come back out, so clearly we stopped at the right time.

Overall, I give Homosassa a thumbs up. Its a beautiful place and we did see some scat and sign. We did not see any wildlife.... unless you count the 2 younger Rhinos making all the noise we had with us! :clown :clown :clown

It was a good trip. Eventually those boys will get some of those tree rats. Being that I had NEVER even done that before myself, the fact both kids had fun, made it worthwhile.

Fishindad

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

houseofmicah
Eagle Scout

Re: Small Game Homasassa -- Good trip ... with the Rhinos

Post by houseofmicah » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:50 am

Try finding an oak hammock or somewhere that may have some food and sit at the booting of a tree for 5-7 minutes being still and quiet. If there are any squirrels, you will see them. After 5-7 minutes of peace, they usually start moving around and that's when you can spot them and hopefully bust a couple. I always do better taking it slow. If you ate in a tree stand, you always see squirrels because you are quiet and still.

bodysnatcher

Post by bodysnatcher » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:54 pm

Good for you getting those boys out in then woods. :rockon :rockon
Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.

houseofmicah
Eagle Scout

Post by houseofmicah » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:45 pm

Bottom of a tree, Damn auto complete.

Return to “SMALL GAME HUNTING FORUM”