Thoughts on this??

Discuss all your Bow Hunting here!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Thoughts on this??

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:06 pm

I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Hoss74
Assistant Patrol Leader

Re: Thoughts on this??

Post by Hoss74 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:31 pm

I am guessing by just the video it has a mechanism in the head that works like a firing pin or an arrow bang stick?
If it is that silent, I think it must have something to do with the penetration of the bullet before it is striked by the firing pin.
That leaves me to wonder three things.

#1. If the animal itself is animal itself is acting like a silencer by containing the rapidly expanding gas. What does that do to the flavor of the meat?

#2. How reliable the firing mechanism?

#3. Could it be used on public land, since some areas have regulations for what kind of bow tip you can use

Other than that. . . It looks pretty amazing

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:45 pm

Hoss74 wrote:I am guessing by just the video it has a mechanism in the head that works like a firing pin or an arrow bang stick?
If it is that silent, I think it must have something to do with the penetration of the bullet before it is striked by the firing pin.

#1. If the animal itself is animal itself is acting like a silencer by containing the rapidly expanding gas. What does that do to the flavor of the meat?

#3. Could it be used on public land, since some areas have regulations for what kind of bow tip you can use

1. The animal is not a silencer the expanding gas would blow out the rear. It is a blunt tip so there would be no penatration!

2. Reliable as needed because it is a one time use. It would blow apart after one use.

3. There is no regulations for what kind of tip just when you could use it Archery is out of the question
:saluting
Bossman

Star Scout

Post by 30.06 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:01 pm

pretty cool.
OUT OF MY COLD DEAD HANDS

Hoss74
Assistant Patrol Leader

Re: Re: Thoughts on this??

Post by Hoss74 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:43 pm

Bossman wrote:
Hoss74 wrote:I am guessing by just the video it has a mechanism in the head that works like a firing pin or an arrow bang stick?

1. The animal is not a silencer the expanding gas would blow out the rear. It is a blunt tip so there would be no penatration!

2. Reliable as needed because it is a one time use. It would blow apart after one use.

3. There is no regulations for what kind of tip just when you could use it Archery is out of the question
:saluting
Ok... But wouldn't the bullet still make a noise then????? Also if there is no penetration and the gas blows out the rear, the force is exerted on the casing and not the lead. I don't see how it could be that damaging then?
I am not trying to argue, I just really don't understand.

I can't find anything for Florida, but many states have those rules. .
Here is Ohio for instance.

Archery Season min. draw weight 40 lbs., includes compound and recurve bows. The arrow tip shall have a minimum of two cutting edges which may be exposed or unexposed minimum 3/4 inch width. Expandable and mechanical broadheads are legal. Poisoned or explosive arrows are illegal.        

Hoss74
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by Hoss74 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:07 pm

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:12 pm

Under the section "Legal methods of taking game", Florida rules it says you can't use explosive or drug injecting arrows. Seems like this might not br legal in some instances. When it comes to hogs on private land, you're probably good to go as they are livestock and you can kill 'em any way you want, but it would be good to get an official opinion from the "rabbit sheriff".

houseofmicah
Eagle Scout

Post by houseofmicah » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:47 pm

Would be fun to try. That would be a heavy tip and have to possibly change your pins. Bang stick from a distance.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:01 am

aside from the legality of it, it looks like another attempt by someone with too much time on there hands trying to make something do what it was not intended to and not as well as the original. the arrow wont fly as well due to all the extra wt,need to change sights etc. if you want to ignite a bullet, use a gun. I can understand a bang stick. a slim possibility it might be usefull for gators but accuracy/meat damage/legality come to mind. still think a spud missile is more fun, but neither is exactly practical.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:08 am

the other u-tube video that came up when clicking on that link still has me giggling like a 3rd grader that just found his dads playboy mag, was the slippery nipple music parody, LMAO, increased my anatomy vocabulary about 100x. the big bang vid was excelent also.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

vonnick52
Star Scout

Post by vonnick52 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:42 am

Physics fellas, physics. It'll work with proper shot placement sure, but a broadhead would do the same, if not better. Notice the videos show nothing but head shots? Without a barrel or anything to channel the energy, most of it will blow out. It's like throwing a bullet in a fire...it goes bang, but does it shoot off like it would out of a gun? No. Even bang sticks have a "barrel" to channel the energy. Gimmick. Does look cool though.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:54 am

Nick you hit it on the head. If you watch, they pull a bullet out of the hogs head and it was buried less than 1" deep. I've killed hogs with a 357, using 357's and 38's and you cannot find the bullet
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

kitespear
scout

Post by kitespear » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:18 am

looks just like the powerheads we use for commercial Spearfishing, Only Smaller. (we use 7.62x54r) and its the concussion that puts the fish down, I assume its the same for other animals too.

hunter1005
scout

Post by hunter1005 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:26 pm

Can you say illegal to hunt with on wma's. No exploding points are allowed. Only broadheads.

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:25 pm

Either way it does look cool. Doesn't look practical or legal for hunting though...sort of reminds me of Rambo with his explosive arrows.

Return to “BOW HUNTING FORUM”