archery shop

Discuss all your Bow Hunting here!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

houseofmicah
Eagle Scout
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

archery shop

Post by houseofmicah » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:55 pm

going to try to make it to a shop in tampa area Saturday, any suggestions? is the archery shop any good, or arrowhead? looking to get my bow restrung. was going to take a trip to spurlows in frostproof, but tampa is a bit closer so i will be heading to a shop up there somewhere.

vonnick52
Star Scout

Re: archery shop

Post by vonnick52 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:01 pm

Not a fan of arrowhead. If you come out to frostproof, gimme a shout. We'll grab some beers.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:03 pm

Ray Roberts at "The Archery Shop" is one of the best in the business. Only issue is, this Saturday he and everyone else in every local bow shop will be at the expo, and I would imagine they will have a skeleton crew at the shops. I know they and Arrowhead (Jonathan) are there every year
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:04 pm

vonnick52 wrote:Not a fan of arrowhead. .
Me either
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

houseofmicah
Eagle Scout

Post by houseofmicah » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:08 pm

I haven't had a bow restrung in a shop before, do you typically drop the bow off and leave it or do they take care of that while you wait? if they are running skeleton crews then I would imagine they would have me leave it.

vonnick52
Star Scout

Post by vonnick52 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:21 pm

houseofmicah wrote:I haven't had a bow restrung in a shop before, do you typically drop the bow off and leave it or do they take care of that while you wait? if they are running skeleton crews then I would imagine they would have me leave it.
I've always had it done while I wait.....The Archery Shop is good folk...

I had one string done at Arrowhead, they made fun of me cause I'm shooting a 10 year old bow.....Had the next one done at The Archery Shop....they were cool, BSed with me, and paper tuned it for me. I won't set foot in Arrowhead again just cause of how they acted towards me.

Oh...and The Archery Shop was $15 cheaper if I recall correctly....and they paper tuned....Arrowhead didn't paper tune it for me.

houseofmicah
Eagle Scout

Post by houseofmicah » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:09 pm

cool. good info, thanks nick. hey I went up to w Harrison last month. saw the store in new Trenton isn't there anymore. now there is a newer one across the street. was nice to be up there with the family. didn't make it in to the woods, but had a heck of a time. my wife gets kind of car sick and doesn't care much for the terrain up there. the kids loved it. they were pretending every turn was a roller coaster. good stuff. hoping to make it back up for archery again this year. not sure if it is gonna work out, but we are going to try like hell.

Star Scout

Post by 30.06 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:28 am

i go to Eric at Log Cabin archery in Land o Lakes. i grew up very close to arrowhead and tried to give them a shot, but they were no help to me whatsoever.
OUT OF MY COLD DEAD HANDS

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:34 am

vonnick52 wrote:
houseofmicah wrote: I had one string done at Arrowhead, they made fun of me cause I'm shooting a 10 year old bow.....Had the next one done at The Archery Shop....they were cool, BSed with me, and paper tuned it for me. I won't set foot in Arrowhead again just cause of how they acted towards me.

Oh...and The Archery Shop was $15 cheaper if I recall correctly....and they paper tuned....Arrowhead didn't paper tune it for me.
Dude, I had the same thing happen. I had a string serving break on me on my last bow, which was a high end Martin bow. The owner made fun of it saying it was a package bow from duck'ss sporting goods. I had to raise my voice with him and explain it was not from there, I bought it from Log cabin archery(which he started to biotch about), and told him to just fix it and I would be on my way, and it didn't really matter if it came from Kmart.

On my new bow I went to The Archery shop to get a spot re-served where my cam rolls on it and they did not charge me a penny

graybellplumb
Junior Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by graybellplumb » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:26 am

What about Cooks in Venice. Micah if you are going to Tampa let me know.

houseofmicah
Eagle Scout

Post by houseofmicah » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:06 am

You gonna go with me Scott? I think its a wash for venice or tampa. I am more than likelg going to go unless something comes up. Barber in the am, then on the road.

graybellplumb
Junior Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by graybellplumb » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:20 pm

vonnick52 wrote:
houseofmicah wrote:I haven't had a bow restrung in a shop before, do you typically drop the bow off and leave it or do they take care of that while you wait? if they are running skeleton crews then I would imagine they would have me leave it.
I've always had it done while I wait.....The Archery Shop is good folk...

I had one string done at Arrowhead, they made fun of me cause I'm shooting a 10 year old bow.....Had the next one done at The Archery Shop....they were cool, BSed with me, and paper tuned it for me. I won't set foot in Arrowhead again just cause of how they acted towards me.

Ya my bow is tens yrs old,but it will kill something.

vonnick52
Star Scout

Post by vonnick52 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:06 pm

houseofmicah wrote:cool. good info, thanks nick. hey I went up to w Harrison last month. saw the store in new Trenton isn't there anymore. now there is a newer one across the street. was nice to be up there with the family. didn't make it in to the woods, but had a heck of a time. my wife gets kind of car sick and doesn't care much for the terrain up there. the kids loved it. they were pretending every turn was a roller coaster. good stuff. hoping to make it back up for archery again this year. not sure if it is gonna work out, but we are going to try like hell.
Yeah, Mama sold the business when we moved down here to Florida. A crooked neck (literally) peckerhead named Donald Johnson bought it and gave her tons of grief and she evicted him from the property. He moved it to where it's located now, that used to be the volunteer Fire Department shop.

She moved back up there and tried doing gifts and nick nacks...that didnt work and she was doing the deli thing for awhile but was just working too hard and not making enough to make it worth while...her and two of my sisters live in the apartments that are connected to it. She'll figure out something to do with it, or she's considering selling the store and the apartments above and next to it (3 in total) and picking up a piece of land in North GA or TN.

I took the old lady and the little one up there last December. Hunted about 4-5 hours...saw 40+ deer. Pulled a shot on a doe and skimmed her belly, she came up on my far right and I tried to contort myself in a good enough position to shoot but pulled it anyways. I'm going back up in December of this year.

My buddy Brad Moore and a couple of his buddies own the taxidermy shop there in town. I grew up with him. Does good work if you knock down a good un. Go through his pics and check out some of the studs that were taken last year. https://www.facebook.com/WhitewaterOutpost

vonnick52
Star Scout

Post by vonnick52 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:09 pm

This is my buddy Doug Davidson's buck:

vonnick52
Star Scout

Post by vonnick52 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:13 pm

These are all Franklin County bucks too:

Return to “BOW HUNTING FORUM”