Crossbow Target

Discuss all your Bow Hunting here!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Mr. Lolo
Second Class Scout

Crossbow Target

Post by Mr. Lolo » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:31 am

As I’m mostly hunting private land now and can’t pull my bow because of shoulder problems, I finally got me a crossbow. Got the Excalibur Axiom which shots around 305 fps. I need to get a target to practice and planning on getting the Delta ShotBlocker Black OPS. Anyone used the Black Ops before? Other recommendations? Trying to stay in the $100.00 range, if possible.
Follow my hunting adventures with Twitter: @lolo_hunter

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: Crossbow Target

Post by Iluv2hunt » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:42 am

Rinehart 18-1 target. Thy claim if you can shoot it out, they will replace it. I love mine and it will be many many years before I need to buy a target again
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Mr. Lolo
Second Class Scout

Post by Mr. Lolo » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:59 am

Thanks Al. I was looking at that one but didn't find anything related to recommend max arrow speed. The fact that you own one and recommends it is a plus for me to make a desicion.

Really appreciate your feedback.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

houseofmicah
Eagle Scout

Post by houseofmicah » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:13 am

The 18-1 targets seem to be well made. A purchase I will be making this summer as my targets are done. Dicks has them, but I have some bps gift cards to burn up.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:33 am

The only issue I have is a high shot with a xbow will turn the target over. I just stick a shovel in the ground and brace the target against that
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:42 pm

The problem with a block target is shooting broadheads. BH's will eat them up in no time. I know because I have been thru a bunch of them

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:25 pm

You should always practice with BH's.

X711
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by X711 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:20 am

I practice with field points and fling a bolt with BH when i'm going out hunting to confirm its still on

I use the cheap 50.00 target (foam strip filled bag) shooting barnett predator @ 375fps, most bolts stick out 10-12", can tell the more worn spots let the bolts penetrate where it'll only stick out 6" or so.

almost any target will do, how much do you wanna spend? how long do you want it to last?? those nicer targets will last longer

here is a pic of the target i use.. bolts shown are cheap ones being shot from a cheap 250fps eagle 6 (mk-250) crossbow. when shooting with a nice crossbow I always shot at a different spot because you can stack bolts at a high rate they are that accurate.

Mr. Lolo
Second Class Scout

Post by Mr. Lolo » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:22 am

Got the Rinehart 18-1. Went to camp this weekend and tried it. That thing is awesome. Stopped the crossbow bolts with no issues and the self healing is amazing. Worth the $109.00 I paid for it.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:04 am

I guess I need to drag some bows out and go shoot

bellyacher
First Class Scout

Post by bellyacher » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:53 pm

HogDaddy wrote:If you go to the campground this weekend look on my porch Lou. Crock recommended it and I think it's called The Block. It's around $100 and you can't knock it over, built like a tank. I've got a Barnett Buck Commander, made in Tarpon Springs - love it.
My only complaint with these targets is I can't get the bolts out very easily but I think that's the nature of the beast...
BTW, theirs a member of the club that makes strings and works of bows. He fine tuned mine and it's dead on at 50
Larry
"My only complaint with these targets is I can't get the bolts out very easily but I think that's the nature of the beast..." I just push them on thru instead of trying to pull them back. less damage to target. also depending on the BHs your using most have practice "no cutting edge" blades.
Be polite, be professional, BUT have a plan to kill everybody you meet

Return to “BOW HUNTING FORUM”