The Accidental bow hunter

Discuss all your Bow Hunting here!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

FLhunter33
scout

The Accidental bow hunter

Post by FLhunter33 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:03 pm

So I am becoming a bow hunter on accident. I had planed a trip to MO to my old HS bud's house for what I thought was riffle open season only to find out I read the regs wrong and I am there for antlerless firearms and open archery. So looks like I will be taking up archery sooner than I thought I would. I always planed on it but this was to be my first serious deer hunting trip and I planed on trying to bag a buck by riffle before switching it a bow. So a friend has a nice bow I can use. I will be spending a lot of time trying to master it before november. is there a special case I will need to send it on a plane? Is it difficult to send on a plane? I plan on using a trigger type release that straps to my wrist. I get that it probably is a ford v chevy thing when it comes to brands? or is it? I don't know. I used to shoot a recurve a lot when I was kid never used a sight system so that ought to be interesting to learn to use. So I lay my self at your mercy for tips admonishment or advice. Thanks...

graybellplumb
Junior Assistant Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: The Accidental bow hunter

Post by graybellplumb » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:13 pm

I bought a hard case for about fifty bucks.Got a release for 25 .Practice ,practice,practice!Patience,patience!

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:21 pm

Keep in mind, shooting a bow is very similar to a rifle, but at the same time quite different. 99 out of 100 of us can pick up any rifle and shoot it somewhat accurately, even though the length of pulls are different. A bow is aimed the same as a gun, but draw lengths matter a lot. Unless your buddy is built identical to you, it will be difficult to shoot his bow accurately without having it adjusted by a bow shop....and he may not want that done
Also it's important to shoot a bow set up for you so you don't develop any bad habits in your form. I would go to a bow shop and get your draw length measured, then see if his bow will even fit you. If your/his draw lengths are way off, it may or may not even be able to be adjusted without some modifications to it. You might look into buying a bow. Almost all bow shops have bows there on consignment or older ones that people used as a trade in. Plenty of options to go to and plenty of time, if you start now....
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

FLhunter33
scout

Post by FLhunter33 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:30 pm

ok.. good to know thanks iluv2hunt

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:51 pm

Ok I am getting older Just had a large pep put in. I am actually shooting better. I see way better at low light conditions

but archery here is September 14.

Return to “BOW HUNTING FORUM”