Discuss all your Bow Hunting here!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: LFTT 9-19

Post by Iluv2hunt » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:56 am

a zip lock bag works just as well
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

DONY1
Junior Assistant Scout Master

LFTT 9-19

Post by DONY1 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:41 pm

No action at all this morning. Went and put up a climber on a persimmons that's just starting to drop a few right off a plot. Will sit it tomorrow am. Sitting off the field again now. Already had a doe and spotted yearling come by.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:42 pm

I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

DONY1

LFTT 9-19

Post by DONY1 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:03 pm

Just had a couple deer cross out of range. Hearing some movement behind me now

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:23 pm

Was in the stand a total of 20 minutes. I had hogs around me literally from the time I walked in. At 6PM a big 150#+ boar walked in and I drilled him, on what I thought was a perfect shot at 18 yards. The arrow made a loud whack, and I watched him run, then walk off across a cypress pond. No blood and no bolt for the first 100 yards. Then a spotty blood trail. I got into a nasty sawgrass patch and lost blood. I do not think I got an exit or there woulda been more blood. He was probably laying right there, just couldn't find him. You literally could be 3 feet from him and not see it. So far I am batting 0-2 and ready for muzzleloader

Kortsman
Star Scout

Post by Kortsman » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:35 pm

At least you guys are hunting. I'm still waiting...

DONY1

Re: LFTT 9-19LFTT 9-19

Post by DONY1 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:12 am

Quiet the rest of yesterday's hunt and lost reception. Changed my spot for the morning hunt today. Sitting on a well used trail 40 yds from a persimmons just starting to drop. Probably a week or so early but I've got to give it a shot.
Besides, the view is great!
Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:13 am

Hog down

DONY1

Post by DONY1 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:16 am

Sweet. Great start to the day.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:21 am

Heard it crash. Gonna sit for a while

gobblergetter
Tenderfoot

Post by gobblergetter » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:58 pm

need updates
nice view dony1
good going iluv2hunt pics?

DONY1

Post by DONY1 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:11 pm

Kind of let the day slip by me. Nothing seen in the morning hunt. Spent the mid day filling feeders and setting a couple new stands. Got caught at the bottom of the lease when the sky opened up. Took a couple hrs of sliding backwards and sideways in the clay trying to get back up out of the bottom. Couple of times I was reaching for the door handle as the truck was sliding within a foot of the edge of a 100' drop off into a ravine. My buddy wouldn't even ride with me at that point. Lol. I was sure I wasn't gonna make it but am damn glad I put the Nittos on the truck Wednesday before I left. Got in the stand just in time for it to start pouring again. After an hr I checked the radar and realized we were gonna get it all night so we came out early. Sat down to a crock pot stew I made when we got back and have been hitting the rum pretty good since. Set up a ground blind for the morning hunt right where I've seen fresh crossings every morning so I've got my hopes up. I'll be heading back south after the morning hunt so I'm hoping I can bag something early and get on the road. That's it for now. I need a refill.

DONY1

LFTT 9-19

Post by DONY1 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:55 am

Nothing happening this morning. Poured all night and saw 10 or so feeding in the fields on the way in. Done for the weekend. Now for the long drive home.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:59 pm

SO on the walk in yesterday afternoon, I came a cross a rather large cottonmouth laying 20' from my climber stretched across my little foot path leading to my stand. I gave it one attempt to go the other way, but it decided to coil up and bare it's ugly mouth. I thought about it for a second, and didn't want a live CM in the myrtle bushes around my stand so I pulled out my .38 and shot it. It crawled off in a hole about 5' from my stand. Great go in there and die. I thought I missed, but there was blood spatter.

I get over to my stand, get it unlocked, and up in it and settled in for the afternoon. About an hour later I happened to look down, and the snake had come back to life, and was laying between the hole and my tree. Over the course of the next few hours it managed to move a few inches at the time, then lay there and rest. It literally took it all afternoon to get by me and gone to the water hole 25' away. Made for an interesting afternoon as I was paying attention to it and not to the woods
Here's a pic I took. Keep in mind, I am about 20+ feet up and had my phone zoomed in. It was around a 5 footer

doghunter
Star Scout

Post by doghunter » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:27 pm

I shot right over a 4pt yesterday afternoon. Back to my old ways of missin the first one every year before I settle down. The good thing was it was a clean miss as he dropped fast when i let it fly and the deer didnt even know what happened. He was coming back within range until the rain started pouring and he headed back off into the pines. He was running with a much better 7pt until last week and I waited 10 mins to see if the 7pt was coming but I couldn't wait any longer.
Team 'Tree Top Assassins'

Return to “BOW HUNTING FORUM”