If you need a New Bow String..

Discuss all your Bow Hunting here!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Kortsman
Star Scout

Re: If you need a New Bow String..

Post by Kortsman » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:08 am

Crock, You still have that set of strings for your PSE? I may want to replace mine before this season starts. I had some peep rotation and I suspect that it may be due to my stock strings.

HuntAddict
scout
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by HuntAddict » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:19 am

ugots2bkidding wrote:how hard is it to restring a bow yourself.... mine is shooting GREAT but needs a new string, but I'm afraid to try it myself. I do any type of repair and maintenance on everything I own, but not sure about this...
Please allow me to give you piece of advice: if you have never strung a compound, either get training from someone who really knows what they are doing or take it to a shop with a good reputation. NOTE: I said a shop with a good reputation, not just any shop. I won't say any names on here, (but you can PM me) I had a brand new bow catastrophically fail (cable and string let loose) at full draw after purchasing it and having it rigged at a place you would not expect to have problems at, on the third shot while sighting it in. Thank fully I didn't die due to a freak incident. I did get a nasty line of skin removed from my face down across my chest and it ripped my shirt open. Needless to say, I got a full refund and I no longer purchase archery equipment service there. If I were one of these new age sue-happy types, I probably could have made some money, but I'm just not like that.

Point is this: restringing a compound, although simple once you learn it, is not something you want learn on your own and screw up. I normally do my own, and of course the one time I let someone else do it (who had little experience) I paid the price: My fault. I should have asked the guy how many bows he had restrung in his lifetime and how he learned. (sometimes how many you do doesn't matter if you've screwed them all up).

Sounds like this Bucknasty guy knows his stuff. If you don't live near him, go to a pro shop. Bear Archery is in Gainesville, and they will set you up good. Price ain't bad neither. Don't trust one of the brand name big stores, unless you specifically know the guy behind the counter knows his stuff.

HuntAddict
scout

Post by HuntAddict » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:26 am

Here is a photo of what a compound looks like after it whoops your a$$.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

graybellplumb
Junior Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by graybellplumb » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:30 pm

Who puts on strings and cables near Bradenton?

houseofmicah
Eagle Scout

Post by houseofmicah » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:43 pm

center shot in Sarasota. not a huge fan of him, but there is not many choices close by. he is just west of cattlemen between bee ridge and fruitville. will probably be going there myself in the next month or so. I will call you and let you know.

graybellplumb

Post by graybellplumb » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:16 pm

They want $75. I might just have to sacrifice and take a trip to Bass Pro. Called Bucknasty and he says he doesn't do strings any more. So I ordered from Pinnacle Archery. $63.He's in Washington.
Cooks in Venice does it for $25.00 I think Bass Does it for free if you buys something. I won't have any problem spending money there. My friends son works there. Might be cheaper for me to spend 75.00 at center though.lol

houseofmicah
Eagle Scout

Post by houseofmicah » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:36 pm

He charges $75 to put on a string that you provide? Maybe I won't go there. I will probably take a trip to frostproof to spurlows. Good people in there.

graybellplumb

Post by graybellplumb » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:57 pm

That's what he said.

1jody256
scout

Post by 1jody256 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:48 pm

go on bowhunting.com there there is a couple guys on there that will tune your bow, provide you with the string and buss cable,your choice of colors on the string ,for 100 dollars, one is hutch and sons archery.com and he has bowstringdepot.com excellent strings!

graybellplumb

Post by graybellplumb » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:57 pm

Got my string and cable from vapor string.took less than a week.now I gotta go to cooks and have them put it on.

1jody256
scout

Post by 1jody256 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:29 pm

there was a archery place on 14 st and 9th awhile back not sure if still open been a couple years,right across from rentall.

graybellplumb

Post by graybellplumb » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:00 pm

Ya I shot there but he closed up.Bullseye I think.

houseofmicah
Eagle Scout

Post by houseofmicah » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:34 am

As of a couple months ago, the range was still in the building. Mr. Garrott who owns the building was using it as his own personal range with his son.

Return to “BOW HUNTING FORUM”