Did a little stand checking this morning

Discuss all your Bow Hunting here!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Bossman » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:44 pm

Well it's getting close and Bow season will be here before you know it. I rode to the club this morning before daylight so I could see the sunrise and maybe catch that early morning buck. I checked several stands and did a little scouting. It really suprized me how wet it was in our club. The skeeters weren't bad at all and I did the usual scouting in shorts and flip flops. Man oh man did I pay because when I got home I had a bucket full of "BABY" seed ticks. They were as thick as I have ever seen them. I saw some good sign and found one unexpected guest that I got really close to. I'll just say that I was within striking distance of him several times. At one point he turned and was walking up to me at about 6'.

:saluting
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bossman

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Re: Did a little stand checking this morning

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:54 pm

That's cool, BM. I have never seen a live skunk in Fla. Seen and smelled them though
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Kortsman
Star Scout

Post by Kortsman » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:05 pm

My dad ran one over when I was a kid living in Brooksville. That effin car smelled for a few weeks! :crap:

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:12 pm

I saw an albino skunk while sitting in my stand once .

Sent from Mossy Oak Swamp Bottom.

swissk31
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by swissk31 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:29 am

Just an FYI, the seed ticks are easily dealt with by rubbing them down with ben gay muscle rub and it helps greatly with the itchy after effects.

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Post by M12Gunboy » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:00 pm

Wow. Didn't know they had skunks in Florida. Up north of the Mason Dixon line you will frequently see and smell a skunk. This one has extremely long hair/coat/fur. Most skunks I have ever seen had hair/coat/fur 1/3rd that

blackpowderscout
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by blackpowderscout » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:02 pm

There's two kinds here. I've only ever seen the other one, a spotted skunk. Not nearly as big as those striped ones like in these pictures.
"Friends don't let friends hunt with inlines."

NRA Life
Want to learn more about Traditional Blackpowder Hunting? http://traditionalblackpowderhunting.com/

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:24 pm

swissk31 wrote:Just an FYI, the seed ticks are easily dealt with by rubbing them down with ben gay muscle rub and it helps greatly with the itchy after effects.
NO MA'AM Ain't no BenGay going there!

:taz :saluting
Bossman

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:27 am

Wow, those are some nice photos. The only skunks I've seen are smashed on the road.

born2hunt
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by born2hunt » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:23 pm

The property I hunt here in Hills. county is loaded with skunks. We see one just about every time we go. Last season I was sitting on the ground with my 8 year old girl and it was just before shooting light when I heard something in the leaves to my left. I looked over expecting to see a diller but realized it was a skunk instead. He was only like 5 feet away and closing so I had no time to get up, I just leaned to my right and told her not to move a muscle. Believe it or not , but he walked between the legs of my chair (UNDER my chair) and around the back of hers just sniffing and rooting along and just went on his way. I just knew for sure he was going to smell us or she would spook him and we were gonna get it full force . I have never had a critter, regardless of size make me sweat that bad.

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:39 am

Good stuff!!!
Bossman

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:31 am

Bossman,
Since you posted those great skunk pictures, I recall a few years back, the FWC had an on going survey about skunks. I thought it was unusual as we see 'em dead on the road quite often. Don't see as many live ones as dead ones on the road in the panhandle. Some seem to have more white than others, makes 'em easier to see and gives me a better chance of "steering clear"!
Treefarmer

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:01 pm

Well, I got the skunk stand up! It is only about 100 yards from my other stand but in an area that is more in bow range. Now I have 4 scrapes within 15 yards and my longest shot will be about 30 yards. I found out one thing for sure and that is that I'm getting to old for this kinda stuff... Hang a ladder and a lockon was just about more than I could take. 3 trips into the area and trimming all the vines off of the tree. Then I had one hell of a time getting the lockon in the right place and still be tight. I was drenched from head to toe with sweat time it was all over and i got back to my truck. Now to see if he will be a shooter or not.

:saluting
Bossman

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:03 pm

Hey Bossman,
After all that work he'd be a shooter in at my camp! Hope he's a big one and you have to have help loadin' him in the truck! You ain't old enough to be doin' all that gruntin" and sweatin', you're supposed to leave that part to me :crip , you know I ain't had to pay for a license for several years now :clap .

All the rules are changing here in the panhandle, in zone D we now have a deer unit north of I-10 and a unit south of I-10. Different regs on how many points, don't have a doe week any more but some weekends that we can kill a doe. If you're a youth you can still bust a spike, that's a good thing.
Like the kids say, "Whatever!".
Treefarmer

graybellplumb
Junior Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by graybellplumb » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:21 am

lookkittens.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “BOW HUNTING FORUM”