Crossbow PSA

Discuss all your Bow Hunting here!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Crossbow PSA

Post by Iluv2hunt » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:50 pm

For the last couple weeks, I have chased crossbow bolts all over the target. I bet I have shot the damn thing 200 times. I would shoot a group of 2 bolts touching, make an adjustment, then the next one would go in another direction. Here's one example. I shot 3 bolts, robinhooding one of them. Then the next one goes 12'' low. I had bought this 6-pack of 22'' bolts online. After I did this I grabbed a few of my old bolts and decided to shoot one of them. First shot, under the target. Second shot, same spot.
I knew something wasn't right. I took one of each of my bolts inside and weighed them on my kitchen scale(I have one that weighs micro-measurements). Sure enough, my old bolts were MUCH heavier. I sat down at computer and researched. My old ones are 10.5 grains per inch. New bolts are 9.3 grains per inch. Once I figured out my issue, I had the thing zeroed back in in 10 shots. Now I gotta go on a hunt for more bolts like I have been using. Make sure if you are buying new bolts, don't look at just the length, make sure they are the right weight also
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

9dawgs

Re: Crossbow PSA

Post by 9dawgs » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:55 am

Good advice on the arrows. I just bought an old Barnett Panzer II to try out to see if I want to dive into hunting with crossbows. I read somewhere else that you should use the same arrow over and over to site it in. I was wondering if anyone else uses this technique?

Also the advice on watching your thumb is great. There's a lot of horror stories out there. It's like anything you handle that can kill you. You have to respect the equipment!

born2hunt
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by born2hunt » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:51 pm

The package of new bolts should still shoot consistent with each other if they are decent quality. We're you mixing the bolts ,(old/new)when you shot the bad groups. Your height should be the only thing that is effected by the weight difference and again even that should be consistent unless they are cheap bolts or weak spined.

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:22 am

born2hunt wrote:The package of new bolts should still shoot consistent with each other if they are decent quality. We're you mixing the bolts ,(old/new)when you shot the bad groups. Your height should be the only thing that is effected by the weight difference and again even that should be consistent unless they are cheap bolts or weak spined.
Well that makes sense. How about the length of the bolt? I've read old factory literature that Barnett recommends 18" bolts for the Panzer II. My son picked up a package of 22" bolts that the guy at Britton's Archery in Tarpon recommended for me for Christmas. I haven't shot them yet. You think I should take them back and get the 18" from Barnett? The shortest Britton's had was 20".

born2hunt
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by born2hunt » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:55 am

I don't know a whole lot about cross bow bolts specifically, 22 in seems long but I would hope that the guy at the bow shop knows what he's talking about. Seems there should be some sort of chart for bolt selection like there is for arrows though. They are making cross bows so much faster and stronger I can't see all bolts being universal.

FLQuacker
Second Class Scout

Post by FLQuacker » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:19 pm

Standard panzer bolt length is 18/20".....that's what they come/came with.

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:14 am

FLQuacker wrote:Standard panzer bolt length is 18/20".....that's what they come/came with.
Ok, thanks. Looks like I'll be taking them back. I'll just swap for a pack of 20".

randy3003
scout
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by randy3003 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:14 am

Pay special attention to the way in the straightness factor all hunting arrows should have a straightness of .003 to be consistent the cheap ones that have a straightness factor of five or six are not worth your money too hard to sight in and will never hit consistent enough for good clean ethical kills on big game!
One well placed arrow will save a lot of unnecessary exercise!!!

Return to “BOW HUNTING FORUM”