Baby daddy day pulled pork

This is the place to post up your eating! Any Wild Game Recipes you might have or want to share!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Baby daddy day pulled pork

Post by Iluv2hunt » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:27 pm

Picked up a 7 pound butt today. At some point on Sunday afternoon, this will be be re-posted as pork sammies.
I like them now with a smaller fat cap(which I place DOWN during the cook). I prefer a heavy bark on the pork. This one fits the bill

In a ziploc with a heavy batch of rub with a lot of white and brown sugar, garlic and onion powder, white and black pepper, and Byrons butt rub. It will probably turn to a syrup by tomorrow with all the sugar in it. Will go on the egg tomorrow night before bed time
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Re: Baby daddy day pulled pork

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:28 am

Iluv2hunt wrote:I like them now with a smaller fat cap(which I place DOWN during the cook).
I usually trim my down to 1/4 inch cap but I have always placed them fat cap up. Have you always placed them down or only after you got the egg?
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:12 am

I used to do fat cap UP religiously, and would argue with anyone who put it down facing. It was the whole idea that it self bastes itself as it cooks. Reality is a butt has enough fat inside it to not need the fat cap at all. One day I realized the pork was very good, just wasn't as flavorful as it should be. I did a lot of reading on the smoking meats forum on the subject. Seemed a lot of folks agreed your flavor comes from the bark on the meat, which is from your rub and the smoke. I started doing it that way and my family seems to like it much better
I like a sweet taste to smoked pork (Myron Mixon would disagree) and use a lot of sugar in the rub. But you gotta be careful as the sugar will burn and turn rancid/bitter tasting if you get the heat too hot
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:00 pm

After I seen you post this it started a chain of events I could not stop. I did some pork last weekend so I stop in at the meat market to see what was on sale. They had some briskets for $3.50 lb., I have never personally seen it this low. I could not pass it up, so here we go. 5lb trimmed and rubbed down, I am using course salt, chili powder, sugar, cracked pepper and cumin. I am on board with the pork having enough fat to cook cap down and the bark is my favorite part of the meat. This will go cap up though, not alot of marbling in the meat itself, I may even trim the tip and make some burnt ends for the game tomorrow night.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
EST 2013

davedirt
Ordeal

Post by davedirt » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:25 pm

lookin good.................
STAY HUNGRY MY FRIENDS
DUG IN TIGHTER THAN ALABAMA TICK

ROLL TIDE

Last year I was a hunter and not a harvester........

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:34 pm

I couldn't stand it either. I took out a back strap off a big ole boar hog this morning. It thawed in the garage, trimmed up and I got it marinating in a different flavor profile. This will be more of a cuban style with some wet marinades of sour orange/mojo etc. When the butt comes off tomorrow morning, this will go on for sliced pork instead of pulled

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:40 pm

Just so I have something to munch on tomorrow while cooking and throwing back some cold ones, I picked up some green peanuts to put on a boil. Any of you guys use Old Bay in your boiled peanut recipe?
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
EST 2013

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:54 pm

Yeah. Just don't stick your face over the pot while they are cooking :nuke

Kortsman
Star Scout

Post by Kortsman » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:02 pm

Myron Mixon is a pompus idiot.... Sure he knows a thing or two about bbq, but still an idiot... I should have waited till Sunday to deliver that harness to you! :chef

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:00 am

I put the butt on last night about 10pm. Checked the temp right before I went to bed and it was right around 280. Woke up at 615 this morning and the temp in egg was right at 220.
Internal meat temp right at 200. Perfect for pulling

Wrapped it in a tin pan with heavy foil with some finishing sauce. Wrapped all that in a beach towel and put it in a cooler till we get ready to eat. It will still be piping hot later today from sitting

Put the pork loin on about 630 am. Just sauced it and will wrap it in foil pretty soon to finish

Batemaster
Tenderfoot

Post by Batemaster » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:03 am

How much do one of those Big Green Egg's run?

Return to “WILD GAME RECIPES FORUM”