Brown paper bag smoked turkey breast

This is the place to post up your eating! Any Wild Game Recipes you might have or want to share!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Brown paper bag smoked turkey breast

Post by Iluv2hunt » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:48 pm

Been a while since I drug the BGE out. Wife even asked me the other day if I was ever gonna use it anymore. Just been gone every weekend since labor-day, just haven't had time, or the desire to fire it up..

I shot a big gobbler this weekend. I usually cut the breast in strips and fry. This time I wanted to try something else. My buddy's dad (an ole 75 year old Georgia cracker) swears by smoking meat inside a brown paper bag. Only way he does it, for the last 50 years regardless of the meat

Been wanting to give it a shot.

I brined the meat about 24 hrs in a mix of sea~salt, black pepper corns(crushed in my mortar n pestal), Tony Cacherie's, a bit of cane syrup, and a tsp of instacure, mixed with ice water

I fired up the egg, and took the breasts out and dried them off. Rubbed down with olive oil, and rubbed with more Tony Cacherie's
Each half of breast in a paper sack, rolled and stapled shut, then on a 250* BGE while I had to go work for a couple hours
Believe it or not, the bag does not burn and it was holding a ton of juice inside the bag. I am gonna do this more in the future. It cuts down on the smoky flavor as my wife doesn't like smoky food too much. Just a hint of smoke in the meat

Rubbed down ready for the bag(s)

Done, and cooling before slicing. I forgot to take a pic of them on the BGE

slicing..I was going to put it on my meat slicer, but I just decided to cut it with a razor sharp filet knife

This is absolutely outstanding. Better than any store bought turkey you can buy. Since it has some cure in it, it will keep in the fridge until we eat it all
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

9dawgs

Re: Brown paper bag smoked turkey breast

Post by 9dawgs » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:16 pm

Dang Allen, looks like another keeper recipe. Plus I like the outline of your broadhead in the raw breast on the left. :toast

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: Brown paper bag smoked turkey breast

Post by Iluv2hunt » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:20 pm

I think that was more like a drunk knife cut while dissecting it
It does look like it though
:tequila
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Return to “WILD GAME RECIPES FORUM”