Smoked cheese

This is the place to post up your eating! Any Wild Game Recipes you might have or want to share!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Smoked cheese

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:59 pm

Finally....got a day cold enough to accomplish this task. Been wanting to do it for a few months now, just haven't had any weather cool enough
This afternoon I got the smoker set up. I used about 1 pound of lump charcoal in a pie tin, and one very small chunk of wood about the size of your fist, split up with a hatchet and placed on the coals
I put that in my offset smoker, and piped over the smoke with a dryer vent. The smoker has to stay no higher than 80 degrees thru the smoking process, or you will have a clump of cheese on the bottom.
You aren't cooking anything, just adding flavor. I let the smoker fill up with smoke and closed the damper off. Did that a few times over the course of about an hour

Must say, I think it turned out perfect. Unfortunately, you can't sample it right away. Well you can, but the experts say to not taste t right away or you will be disappointed as the smoke flavor will be a bit over powering. It has to mellow out for a minimum of a week, preferably two. I vacuum sealed them and in the fridge to get happy happy happy

Finished product. You can't tell in the pic, but it definitely took on some color from the smoke
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Re: Smoked cheese

Post by nachogrande » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:08 pm

thought this was gonna be a fart joke. new stove? a little free unsolicited advice, (as if you need it) raise the smoke box so the smoke doesn't have to go up,down, and back up again.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Return to “WILD GAME RECIPES FORUM”