Canning venison

This is the place to post up your eating! Any Wild Game Recipes you might have or want to share!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Canning venison

Post by Iluv2hunt » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:19 am

6 jars in the pressure canner now. First time in years I have done this
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

9dawgs

Re: Canning venison

Post by 9dawgs » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:44 pm

What do you put it in? Just water? And is it raw? Never done this before but I got a good pressure cooker for canning. I might be tempted to try. Also how do you use it when you're ready to cook it for a meal?

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:00 pm

According to the directions you don't add any liquid. It makes its own broth. I added a wedge of onion, a dash of canning salt, pepper and beef bullion . I'll copy the procedure later. You can pour this over rice or noodles. Or use some soppin bread:-D
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:05 pm

Ahh, sort of like a beef stew. Man that sounds great!

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Canning venison

Post by Cr0ck1 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:48 pm

Bms.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:25 pm

Well, I turned the burner off at 2PM. I finally got the lid off the pressure cooker and at 4PM the jars are still boiling inside them. No wonder the ole boy on youtube said to do this in the evening, turn it off, leave it and go to bed. I can tell you I will be doing more of this from now on. I have over 200 jars up at camp from back when mom and dad had the big garden years ago. Just gotta buy lids which are cheap. Instant meal when you get in from the woods.
Here is the basic process:
`Wash mason jars thoroughly.
`Put jars in a pot cover with water and bring to a simmer to sterilize. Put all your utensils you will use in the pot to sterilize also
`Cube meat in bite size pieces.
`Remove jar from water and put raw cubed meat into jars. Pack tight and leave 1" of space at top
`I added a chunk of onion to each jar. I also added 1/2tsp salt, pepper and beef bullion crumbles
** Use a canning salt or a salt WITHOUT iodine. Very important
`Wipe rims of jar with wet paper towel. Put on lid and band. Snug band finger tight but do not over tighten
`Put jars in pressure canner. A full size canner will hold 7 quart jars. Add about 4 quarts of water
`Put lid on and leave jiggler off till you get steam. Most recipes call for around 10-12lbs pressure. Mine can run at 5,10, or 15lbs, so I ran it at 15 to be on the safe side.
`Once you get the pressure canner balanced where the jiggler is barely rocking start your timer then and process at 90 minutes for quart jars
`Turn heat off move canner and leave it alone till cool.
`make sure all the jars are sealed

davedirt
Ordeal

Post by davedirt » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:26 pm

Looks good.....can you do the same with pork?
STAY HUNGRY MY FRIENDS
DUG IN TIGHTER THAN ALABAMA TICK

ROLL TIDE

Last year I was a hunter and not a harvester........

bellyacher
First Class Scout

Post by bellyacher » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:56 pm

davedirt wrote:Looks good.....can you do the same with pork?
man you can can anything. you should see my cabnits. green beans,shelly beans,corn,cabage,maters,mater sause for spagahitti,taters.pork,beef,venison and as always grape and apply jelly. Im sure I missed some stuff
Be polite, be professional, BUT have a plan to kill everybody you meet

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:07 pm

Was thinking of next batch, making up like a stew in each jar. Some meat, veggies and a tater or two. But I don't know how the veggies will hold up in the jar during the cooking process. They will probably disintegrate.

FLQuacker
Second Class Scout

Post by FLQuacker » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:16 pm

This is something I gotta try....aun't and uncles...mom and dad did it a lot.

Almost a forgotten art :)

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:23 pm

It's super easy to do also

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:57 am

Very cool. You need to start a youtube channel!! Huntin & Cookin It!!!
I like animals, they are tasty!

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:00 pm

sam03 wrote:Very cool. You need to start a youtube channel!! Huntin & Cookin It!!!
I have always wanted to write a cookbook. I have probably over 500 recipes hand written on index cards all from my mom. Most of them are handed down recipes from both of my grandmothers. Some of them are priceless, and I need to get them in a safe place or scan them.
Heck, I have a brunswick stew recipe that was from my dads best friend from school. He won dozens of cookoffs with that recipe. He sat down at the kitchen table and recited the recipe verbatim and mom wrote it down. He said he had never given it to anyone. I am probably holding South Georgia Americana history

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:13 am

Get with it. lol
I like animals, they are tasty!

bellyacher
First Class Scout

Post by bellyacher » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:53 pm

Iluv2hunt wrote:Was thinking of next batch, making up like a stew in each jar. Some meat, veggies and a tater or two. But I don't know how the veggies will hold up in the jar during the cooking process. They will probably disintegrate.
mom and stepdad do it all the time. I think the veggies have to be raw so they wont turn to mush when canned. I can ask if ya need
Be polite, be professional, BUT have a plan to kill everybody you meet

Return to “WILD GAME RECIPES FORUM”