The last of the '12 squirrel...

This is the place to post up your eating! Any Wild Game Recipes you might have or want to share!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

blackpowderscout
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

The last of the '12 squirrel...

Post by blackpowderscout » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:13 pm

Did a quick stew to use up the last of my squirrel. MMMMMmmm, MMMMmmm! Now, hunting season needs to hurry up and get here so I can restock!
"Friends don't let friends hunt with inlines."

NRA Life
Want to learn more about Traditional Blackpowder Hunting? http://traditionalblackpowderhunting.com/

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: The last of the '12 squirrel...

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:53 pm

Love doing them that way. I like to make bbq the same way
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

bellyacher
First Class Scout

Post by bellyacher » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:46 pm

fried squirrel and taters in a old cast iron skillet over a open camp fire :rockon
Be polite, be professional, BUT have a plan to kill everybody you meet

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:09 am

bellyacher wrote:fried squirrel and taters in a old cast iron skillet over a open camp fire :rockon
Now that's what I'm talkin' about! Whoop Whoop! :chef

bellyacher
First Class Scout

Post by bellyacher » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:15 am

9dawgs wrote:
bellyacher wrote:fried squirrel and taters in a old cast iron skillet over a open camp fire :rockon
Now that's what I'm talkin' about! Whoop Whoop! :chef
as a kid hunting all that was taken was a jug of oil,sack of taters and cast iron pan. we had to kill to eat. when we headed out of the woods at noon and eand of day we had to shoot something or it was just taters. tree rats were the special of the day most times. now and then a rabbit or something would be dinner. when somebody shot a deer it was back strap and taters that nite. Man them was some good times :clap
Be polite, be professional, BUT have a plan to kill everybody you meet

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:33 pm

Yep, me and my brother did the same thing with my dad. Only thing was it was fishing and not hunting. We'd eat fried catfish, bream, bass, turtle. Whatever we caught plus some hush puppies from a bag of corn meal he'd bring along. Those were great times.

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:49 pm

How about the last of the deer in the freezer? Had a family over for Sunday dinner after church last week and was told by the boss of the kitchen to go to the shop freezer and get a couple of quart bags fry meat to thaw out. Well there were only 3 bags and only a half dozen bags of chops left :eek ! This is the 1st time we've run this low on venison in many years. Still meat for grinding and sausage but very little good stuff left and it's a looong time till the season opens in this part of Florida. When I was working, somebody at the shop would always call and say, "Boss, there is a fresh one laying here. Do you want to bring him to the shop?" "10-4!" Within a few days we'd have a deer cooking and invite all the "wheels", they never knew it was road-kill! Maybe I need to go back to work so I can fill the freezer :no .
Treefarmer

Return to “WILD GAME RECIPES FORUM”