Hunt camp meals

This is the place to post up your eating! Any Wild Game Recipes you might have or want to share!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: Hunt camp meals

Post by TerribleTed » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:00 pm

nachogrande wrote:when young we had plenty of time and no money and would sleep in tents and cook around a campfire. then as years went by we had less time and more money and progressed through pop up campers, airstreams, farm houses. then when time was real short, 3 day weekends it was just easier to stay in a motel and eat out. without all the camp chores, shopping, meal prep, cleaning planning and carrying all that gear, we had much more quality time and being well rested to hunt. trying to do it all when time is limited was work and we were constantly tired and falling asleep in the woods. BUT if you want to cook REAL food, not pre-cooked, ribbed cast iron will grill like a hibachi only faster. boneless pork back rib, premade mashed taters bottled gravy and a can of vegies or hoppin john will work fast. it also works well on chicken, steak, chops.
So 49 is still young Thanks. Why because camping is still they way for one night 2 3 4 nights.(about 20 week ends a year) Oh and I do by boat. Was just out for 4 days camping and gator hunting. Yep we cook allot over the fire-no running water no electricity. packing gear tonight for Friday sat & sun my gator tags.

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:14 pm

this is hunt camp
trail from lake
HOME
The kitchen

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:58 pm

Nice set up. don't get me wrong I loved camping, and would usually go solo 2 weeks at a time cuz at the time I had 5 weeks paid vacation, and roughed it much worse than that. a wood platform to sleep on compared to a bed of sharp rocks would have seemed like heaven. if you can come across an old cast sewer grate 2'x4' app, they make a fantastic cooking fire pit platform. coordinating 3-4 guys with diff work schedules and kids was a nightmare. Plus with freezing temps you need that much more stuff, firewood etc. I guess you have it down to a science. we rarely camped in the same place more than a few times. sometimes we would have a base camp down in the valley near a stream for water and a spike camp up on the ridge to roll out of bed and hunt. but that was a while ago, no way I could do it now.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:54 am

The platform is for the water. At this time of year on tropical storm and the river & lake could be under the platform. Been there water level with the platform. The trail is from the airboat The picture last year, waters in that trail right now while were gator hunting.

This is the only way a 25 mile drive will wear you out. Out of the tree stand and back in camp within an hour. That taking your time.

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:13 am

TerribleTed, the prolific swamp cabbages are one of the main things I still miss after moving to the Panhandle almost 40 years. I see you have plenty of them in your part of the world. Cuttin' a cabbage or two was always part of most fishing trips and was not uncommon during hunting season. A little bit of work but always a great addition to any meal, in the woods or at home!
Treefarmer

gargoyle725
Second Class Scout

Post by gargoyle725 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:00 am

Dutch oven. You can do allmost anything in it. I love a nice cherry cobler fresh out of dutch oven. Mountain man hash for breakfast

Proud member of peta. People eating tasty animals
I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option
I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or Saturday night more kisses begin with Miller Lite than Kay.

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:35 am

gargoyle725 wrote:Dutch oven. You can do allmost anything in it.
I picked up a tripod for mine to hang over the camp fire, we cook everything in it. I like a shepherds pie with sliced potatoes instead of mashed.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:15 am

maybe a little grill- propane and hamburgers - sausage- chicken.

or pack in can be pre made salad - chicken avocado steak?

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:23 pm

Hmmm, when I go up to camp in the Panhandle we normally get fed by the women folk. The only thing I really have to cook at the camp site is breakfast. Good hearty stuff like lasagna, venison stew, pork roast or chili.

Now when we go to Live Oak it's normally something good on the grill like ribs, chicken or steak. Doesn't take too long. But of course we're right next to where we hunt so it's not a 25 mile drive either.

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:12 pm

women? they wont come to our camp. They stay were there running water electricity no bug and or snakes

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:15 pm

I thought the whole point was to get away from them for a few days. J.K., OK all clear she's gone now, NOT KIDDING. talk about carrying more stuff, OMG!
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:59 am

TerribleTed wrote:women? they wont come to our camp. They stay were there running water electricity no bug and or snakes
Oh yeah, they don't come out to the woods. They stay up in the house that's on the property where it's warm, bug free and there's running water.
nachogrande wrote:I thought the whole point was to get away from them for a few days. J.K., OK all clear she's gone now, NOT KIDDING. talk about carrying more stuff, OMG!
Haha! yeah, that's the point really. Mine stays home but the farm we hunt comes with one that lives there and wants to cook for us. So we'll come out of the woods, take our deer up to the barn and dress it out and then walk over to the house and eat a good hot meal before heading back down to the woods. Kind of a best of both worlds situation.

Now up at Live Oak it's just a bunch of men so it's a little different...

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:05 pm

Quick, fast, 4 course meal... and best of all no dishes!

:salute3d
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bossman

davedirt
Ordeal

Post by davedirt » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:03 pm

You better have shitzer close by............:)
STAY HUNGRY MY FRIENDS
DUG IN TIGHTER THAN ALABAMA TICK

ROLL TIDE

Last year I was a hunter and not a harvester........

bellyacher
First Class Scout

Post by bellyacher » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:13 am

Allen how 'bout making some gumbo and freeze. then thaw, heat and eat. something different. Also about the MREs. I had several cases of them and started taking them to work for lunch. after about 3-4 days I couldn't :crap: for days. I talked to my son that's in the USMC and he told me that's how there designed to work because there for military field use
Be polite, be professional, BUT have a plan to kill everybody you meet

Return to “WILD GAME RECIPES FORUM”