Hunt camp meals

This is the place to post up your eating! Any Wild Game Recipes you might have or want to share!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Hunt camp meals

Post by Iluv2hunt » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:16 pm

Me and my huntin partner like to cook meals ahead of time, freeze, and take them with us for the weekend. Whatever we have left we put in the freezer. I guess I am getting burned out on the same ole stuff and looking for some new ideas to jog my cooking brain
Seems like it's always chili, spaghetti, soups, stews, etc. Nothing wrong with that, just same old thing every weekend, every season. I try to make stuff that is basically a "one pot meal" that can just be dumped in a pot and heated up. It's usually late when we get in and the last thing I want to do is "cook".

I did a chicken stew with fresh veggies that seemed to be really good last weekend. I also got smoked pork chops smothered in mushroom gravy for the next trip. Trying to stay away from chili this season. Whatever that old codger puts in it causes me to blow over trees about 30 minutes before day break....

Post up some ideas.....
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

davedirt
Ordeal

Re: Hunt camp meals

Post by davedirt » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:53 pm

I was thinking about crock pot meals.............
STAY HUNGRY MY FRIENDS
DUG IN TIGHTER THAN ALABAMA TICK

ROLL TIDE

Last year I was a hunter and not a harvester........

drgn4sr
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by drgn4sr » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:14 pm

I do crock pot meals. yankee pot roast, corned beef & cabbage(light on cabbage). anything that starts in the am and ready when evening hunt done.

gobblergetter
Tenderfoot

Hunt camp meals

Post by gobblergetter » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:32 pm

Pot pie,stroganoff, lasagna just trying to give some ideas

reel_spoiled
scout

Post by reel_spoiled » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:55 pm

Sausage and peppers, meat loaf, pork chunks and red cabbage, black beans and any style meat, chili Mac, sloppy joes, hashbrown casserole

Assuming you have an oven and/or nuke machine.

If not most can be heated from defrosted in a pot on the stove

I try to do the same thing. I also like to make pulled pork in mojo or BBQ sauce and freeze it. Then just defrost and heat for sammiches
Co-Founder of DRY SWAMP Hunt Club

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Post by GoodOyster » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:24 pm

Thinly sliced ham or turkey between 2 pieces of bread. Throw on a slice of cheese if you feel fancy.

A big spoonful of goober paste on some bread ain't bad either! :D
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:26 am

Thanks for your wisdom and originality Gary. I would try those lovely meals but I don't eat bread anymore.
:grin:
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:06 am

Well we prep nothing. We eat like kings when hunting. For instance last week end camping and gator hunting. we cooked a pork shoulder and a pork rib roast the next day. everything is fresh cooked when hunting. It really dosent take much time to cook.

A simple meal is steak ther easy to cook fast too and potatoes can go the grill before the hunt for slow cooking

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:42 am

TerribleTed wrote:Well we prep nothing. We eat like kings when hunting. For instance last week end camping and gator hunting. we cooked a pork shoulder and a pork rib roast the next day. everything is fresh cooked when hunting. It really dosent take much time to cook.

A simple meal is steak ther easy to cook fast too and potatoes can go the grill before the hunt for slow cooking
Well, in bow season it doesn't get dark till almost 8PM. It's 25 mile drive back to camp. If you kill something and have to cook it will be midnight eating dinner. Hence the reason we do the "one pot wonders". I used to camp with some guys that would cook a full meal after the evening hunt. Cutting taters, cutting meat, frying everything....I never got a meal before 9pm. Most nights I made a sandwich and went to bed while they were still cooking

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:07 am

I consistently hunt with 5 to 6 guys. One guy does breakfast, one lunch and I handle dinner. I do all the prepping at the house before I leave. I do not like prepping the ingredients in the dark around the campfire while drinking. My go to meal is to take my small smoker with me to camp. I typically take a 3lb to 4lb piece of meat....pork, brisket, chicken. Pork seems to work the best. My smoker works at an hour a pound. I will start the smoker about an hour before heading into the woods and get the meat going along with a tin filled with pork & beans or corn cobs wrapped in foil . Right before I head into the woods, I will put enough charcoal and wood to last 2 or 3 hours until I get back. When we return its time to eat. A little sliced pork, some beans and a cold bear works great. We put leftovers in a ziploc and have it for lunch the next day.

Another favorite and easy meal for our group is pork carnitas. I will roast it at home and bag it for the trip. I bring a bag of tortillas, shredded lettuce, cheese and salsa. I heat back up the pork in the dutch over over the fire with alot of onion and bell peppers. Although I have not done it, it seems any type fajita meal would work good. No clean up, easy ingredients, everybody can make their own.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

Kortsman
Star Scout

Post by Kortsman » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:57 am

Last year we cooked backstrap on a coleman grill with a side of canned baked beans. Put some bleu cheese crumbles on top of the meat and it was awesome. Doesn't take too long and was good.
Breakfast was cowboy coffee and a couple of granola bars.

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:07 am

Iluv2hunt wrote:
TerribleTed wrote:Well we prep nothing. We eat like kings when hunting. For instance last week end camping and gator hunting. we cooked a pork shoulder and a pork rib roast the next day. everything is fresh cooked when hunting. It really dosent take much time to cook.

Well, in bow season it doesn't get dark till almost 8PM. It's 25 mile drive back to camp. If you kill something and have to cook it will be midnight eating dinner. Hence the reason we do the "one pot wonders". I used to camp with some guys that would cook a full meal after the evening hunt. Cutting taters, cutting meat, frying everything....I never got a meal before 9pm. Most nights I made a sandwich and went to bed while they were still cooking

Theres your problem 25 miles from hunt area is not hunt camp. hell you running home

DONY1
Junior Assistant Scout Master

Post by DONY1 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:19 pm

We're 25 miles from the lease now too. We do a bag meal 1 night a week. Takes about 25 min. Started doing the crockpot lately too. Start the crockpot at about lunch time or so and it's ready when you get back from the woods. Bought a new crockpot cookbook to change things up a bit this year. My every Saturday night meal is ribeyes, collards and mashed taters w/ gravy but with the 25 mile drive I don't think it's happening this year.

CitySlicker
Tenderfoot

Post by CitySlicker » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:05 pm

Great northern beans follow the directions on bag. Except the liquid I use for the beans I boil ham hocks, and or smoked neck bones. I always use a bunch for plenty of meat remove after an hour than boil the beans in the liquid. Do not boil to hard or you will have mush.I modify once the beans are 3/4 done I sweat down a large white onion, and a minced clove of garlic in another pan. Add to pot.Maybe a little celery, and always some carrots. I use seasoning liberally just be careful lots of pepper, and salt to taste. You can always use a smoked wild pig leg bone in place of hocks. Hard to beat with a fresh loaf of cuban bread.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:07 pm

when young we had plenty of time and no money and would sleep in tents and cook around a campfire. then as years went by we had less time and more money and progressed through pop up campers, airstreams, farm houses. then when time was real short, 3 day weekends it was just easier to stay in a motel and eat out. without all the camp chores, shopping, meal prep, cleaning planning and carrying all that gear, we had much more quality time and being well rested to hunt. trying to do it all when time is limited was work and we were constantly tired and falling asleep in the woods. BUT if you want to cook REAL food, not pre-cooked, ribbed cast iron will grill like a hibachi only faster. boneless pork back rib, premade mashed taters bottled gravy and a can of vegies or hoppin john will work fast. it also works well on chicken, steak, chops.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Return to “WILD GAME RECIPES FORUM”