Homemade hotdogs...

This is the place to post up your eating! Any Wild Game Recipes you might have or want to share!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: Homemade hotdogs...

Post by TerribleTed » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:15 am

From my experience the edible collagen casing is really none edible. I don't know but maybe you like them better than me ,my friend and family.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:51 am

This is my first go around using the collagen casings. They are not as good as using fresh casings, I will agree, but not near expensive either. They do have their place. I cooked some breakfast links this morning and the casings turned loose while cooking in the cast iron pan. No big deal. Just pull it off

I put the breakfast links in the smoker for about 30 minutes just for flavoring. This had me worried a bit as I did not use a cure in the meat. So I got them off a little earlier than I wanted to and shocked in ice water to get the temp down. Then I went into speed mode to get them in the freezer. I will definitely use a cure next time
A pic of them air drying and packaged

I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

FLQuacker
Second Class Scout

Post by FLQuacker » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:05 pm

Very nice!

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:37 pm

Well, here is the final word on these homemade hotdogs. They are freaking outstanding!!!!

They went in the smoker with heavy smoke for 1 hour, then in a pot of 180deg water till they hit 154deg.

The casings turned loose on the ends. However, I think that was caused by air pockets and I think I can eliminate that next time. For now just peel the excess off. I had my wife try one, and she asked what meat goes in it so she can start looking for meat sales
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

kenb
scout

Post by kenb » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:23 pm

Hey those look great. Curious as to what your recipe is. I make them all the time. Recipe I use 3 1/2 # chuck, 1 1/2# pork butt, 1 oz kosher salt, 2 tsp pink salt, 2 cups ice water mix and let sit in fridge for 24 - 48 hrs. Add 2 TBS dry mustard, 4 tsp hungarian paprika, 2 tsp toasted and ground coriander, 1/2 tsp ground white pepper, 2 TBS minced garlic, 4 TBS light corn syrup, 11.3 gms hunters special meat binder (Butcher & Packer supply). I basically follow you procedure from there but stuff into 24-26 mm sheep casing. (purchase them from Syracuse casing company - they are a little pricey but 100% from the US not China and are of excellent quality. What smoke wood do you use?

swissk31
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by swissk31 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:18 pm

Dogs look great, I haven't tried the collagen casings yet.
We use the stuffer on the grinder and it's a two person job. I thought it went pretty fast, but I have nothing to compare it to. Anyone that has one just give it a try, it's not like your doing it every week.
sausage fest 002.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

born2hunt
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by born2hunt » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:23 pm

Yep, I'm due for a batch of sausage and I really want some links for hunting season. I still have a couple hams left I'll be thawing out here soon and give it a try.

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:54 am

Like he said one of the biggest complaints (casing collagen) I have seen are they split. To me they were also chewy. They don't have that crisp snap like real casings. I use them for beef hot sticks.

I need to order some cheese to make some and kill a pig.

Return to “WILD GAME RECIPES FORUM”