Homemade hotdogs...

This is the place to post up your eating! Any Wild Game Recipes you might have or want to share!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Homemade hotdogs...

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:59 pm

This is a small trial batch to see how it works out. I will post the full tutorial if they turn out ok. Will get them smoked and cooked tomorrow afternoon. Will be finishing the BB bacon then also

A couple pics for now....

After 3 passes thru the grinder

I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

fishindad

Re: Homemade hotdogs...

Post by fishindad » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:43 pm

I just have to know how they turn out. You are a Machine lately with this stuff!
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

lamehawk
Silver Contributer

Post by lamehawk » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:08 pm

enjoy em
BYOB = Bring your own bait!

http://myworld.ebay.com/shad_85

Just in my camper!

Kortsman
Star Scout

Post by Kortsman » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:15 pm

I assume you didn't follow the traditional recipe of lips and a**holes? Lol...

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:55 pm

Kortsman wrote:I assume you didn't follow the traditional recipe of lips and a**holes? Lol...
Yeah, it probably won't taste like a hot dog because it actually has real meat in it...not "meat product."
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:31 pm

Since I had all the stuff out, I made up 4# of breakfast sausage links with the leftover meat I had. This is my first time using collagen casings. I tried to twist them but the twists absolutely would not stay like they do with fresh casings. So I had to tie every link with butchers twine

Good helper

fishindad

Post by fishindad » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:12 pm

That twine is a great idea. I had the same problem with the bourbon snack stick version. The casing twists would not hold. They kept twisting.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:16 pm

Good to see your son is keeping you out of trouble. Those dogs and sausages look great!

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:45 pm

STOP IT even! Want2hunt I've been looking on ebay, and every other place for a meat grinder/sausage stuffer. The big time problem I always want the bigger the better. I could get just a stuffer but then again, what if I have left over cubed. (I'll need to grind it) If I can feed it I want something that will grind it. I don't want to strip a gear or burn a moter. But yet I don't want to be burnt by some look good deal.

:salute3d
Bossman

HikerJim
scout
Hunt or Fish: Fisher

Post by HikerJim » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:22 pm

That's just not right. I'm supposed to grill bratwursts and hotdogs for a birthday party this weekend. I WAS looking forward to it. Now I think I'll just remember those dogs and pout the entire time.

It is possible that I may lay down and kick my feet too if the feeling moves me.

;)

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:09 pm

you using collagen casings. you dont eat them boil the dog split the casing and pack them pre cooked like in the store.
I have yet to make franks I have seasoning for them. I make brats Italian polish baloney salami and summer. I do like making some with cheese. I order it, the high temp cheddar

let us know how they turn out
Last edited by TerribleTed on Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

born2hunt
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by born2hunt » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:11 pm

I've done a pile of sausage but allways just patty. Been wanting to do some link next time but I dont have a stuffer. Have you ever just used the stuffer tube on the grinder.

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:16 pm

yes i use to just takes more time.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:39 am

They are edible collagen casings. So yes you absolutely do eat the casing. The make an edible and a non edible (like on bologna/summer sausage).

The mixture is then pumped into an automatic stuffer/linker machine, where it flows into casings. The most popular brands of hot dogs use cellulose casings, which are later removed. Some wieners use natural casings, which remain on the wiener when it is eaten. These wieners are considered more "traditional," are frequently made by smaller manufacturers and tend to cost a little more

born2hunt wrote:I've done a pile of sausage but allways just patty. Been wanting to do some link next time but I dont have a stuffer. Have you ever just used the stuffer tube on the grinder.
I used to do it this way for years. It is almost impossible to do by yourself, but that's how I did it. I would always dice the meat up small and add seasoning to the meat chunks, then grind. Now I can cut the meat bigger then mix the seasoning into the ground meat by hand, then stuff with stuffer. Sounds like a longer process, but I believe it is easier and quicker

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:27 am

I'm generally a patty guy. I haven't used the stuffer on my grinder yet. You sayin' it'll take two people to do it that way? I think I'll try it this year based on what I've seen you post in the last week or so.

Dang Allen, you're getting folks all riled up on here! Time to go huntin"!! :chain

Return to “WILD GAME RECIPES FORUM”