Nacho's tonic

This is the place to post up your eating! Any Wild Game Recipes you might have or want to share!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Nacho's tonic

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:23 am

Finished and going in the freezer
Guaranteed to put hair on a wooden leg. This should be good to go for a friends wedding in a couple weeks ;-)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Re: Nacho's tonic

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:51 pm

Here is my version of Apple Pie using Nacho's basic method
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:37 pm

The hardest part is waiting for it to age long enough without drinking it. & is why I usually make about 3 gallons, depending on how much fruit my trees will bear, I have 1 qt I will drink before it's time (still has too much sediment) but it still tastes great. it takes an easy 6 months for everything to stop "cooking"/whatever, the sediment to ALL settle to the bottom, be clear like in pic #1, then filtered. I filter thru 2 strainers, each with a coffee filter in it. The sediment doesn't taste bad, & is too far from the heart to kill you. We need to have a tasting one of these days. I figure mine will be done by July, started at thanksgiving. I'd like to make 6 gallons next fall. During the filtering process I suck the coffee filters, NO KIDDING, & catch a buzz.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:55 pm

I ran it thru a paper towel. Had you sucked that and breathed on a match, you would have burned the house down.

This is just a small batch. That would be a ton of work to make a large batch. Lots of peeling
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:18 am

A LOT OF WORK, you can say that again, but it's a labor of love, and you forget about it, and most everything else, when it's done. This is my 4th year? making it & I think I have it right & should write it down. First batch was too strong, second batch didn't taste just right. I started using the fruit juice (separately from the rinds in vodka & simple raw sugar solution & honey, combining later with the rinds/grain alcohol & bingo), this year I added a couple oz's of raw orange blossom honey to the combined mix for smoothness, & it really helps take away any bitterness from the white on the rind you may have missed when peeling and the raw taste of the grain alcohol. My goals were: good taste, strong enough so it won't freeze/ not so strong that it will catch fire. It should end up clear enough to read through, & be able to SIP SLOWLY neat and ENJOY it. When my wife & her girlfriends (not big drinkers) love it, I know I nailed it. I drink it out of the freezer neat, maybe over ice. I haven't tried mixing it with anything as It's good as is, but maybe with club soda or tonic water? Experimenting with it is easy & fun. Hence my motto, ANYTHING WORTH DOING IS WORTH OVERDOING. when you're retired, making bullets/booze is a good way to use your time.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:30 am

I juiced all the lemons I had peeled and had that reserved in the freezer, and added that to it. I think this could use a bit more simple syrup as it is a bit strong, and a touch "lemony". I am not going to tinker with it anymore. I am just going to tell folks to be careful with it and will tinker more with the next batch. Next year I will do some from my oranges and grapefruit for sure

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:19 am

I had originally started with about 3 lbs of organic apples, cored and cut into chunks soaking in the grain for the 1st 3 months. One of things I did to fight the sediment was at month 4, when I added the spices and sugar, I ran the apples through a blender and then wrapped it in about 4 layers of cheese cloth and added it back to the jug. I am still getting some tines but not as bad as it could be. One thing that is nice is the spigot on my jar, I can pour a tumbler full with no need to filter because everything has settled to the bottom.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
EST 2013

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:09 pm

I've done 1/2 lemmon & 1/2 tangerine or orange also, it's all good & each year gets better. The wife told me I've been at it more than 6 years, I really should write stuff down. I had made some for Carlos's B-day party, what year was that? Early onset Alzheimers going on, KIDDING, I thought I turned 57 last year, turns out I'm 57 this year, so it's a do over. When you retire time doesn't mean much.

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:36 am

Its been six months, time to finally bottle up the Apple Pie. There has been a major change in taste over the last 3 months. Its still plenty potent but the initial burn has almost went away. Everything is cleaned up and now deciding if I make the same batch for christmas/new years or try a different flavor.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
EST 2013

Batemaster
Tenderfoot

Post by Batemaster » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:21 pm

How can I go about making some of this?

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:09 am

Batemaster wrote:How can I go about making some of this?
Nacho has his original recipe posted on the forum, just do a search and I am sure you will find it. I took his recipe and mixed it with a recipe I found on the internet for Apple Jack, which is a quick way to make some punch. Take Nacho's advice and make sure to let the mixture rest for a good long time. There is a really good interaction between the fruit, sugar & alcohol that takes place between day 120 and 180 that mellows out the flavor without affecting the proof.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
EST 2013

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:15 am

Look up a recipe for a very popular Italian drink called Limoncello. That'll get you started

Batemaster
Tenderfoot

Post by Batemaster » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:57 am

I will look for it. I would like to get working on something like this for Christmas and Thanksgiving time. Thanks!

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:30 pm

Glad you guys are enjoying it. I just got released from the hospital today, after a week of pancreatitis & a gall bladder removal. 1 of the main causes of pancreatitis is alcohol, LOL. Believe it or not I only drink MAYBE 1 drink a week. They refused to rinse my innards with the tonic, which I think would have cured me permanently of most anything. I'm gonna be taking it easy for a while. once aged properly these home brews are as good sipping liquor as any 20 yr old scotch.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:11 am

They thought that was what was wrong with me a couple weeks ago. I still think I passed a gall stone and it had passed on thru by the time they did the sonogram. I was doubled over in pain for 2 days, and the pain abated right before I got to the ER

Return to “WILD GAME RECIPES FORUM”