BBQ Rub

This is the place to post up your eating! Any Wild Game Recipes you might have or want to share!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

ffmsb
scout

BBQ Rub

Post by ffmsb » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:25 pm

Well I am looking to make a good rub for my BBQ. If anyone wants to please post up your rub recipe. Thanks alot. I know this might cause some controversy but its all good. :911
I make holding your hand seem like the biggest thing in the world when I am cutting you out of your car. I can make 5 minutes feel like a lifetime when I go into a burning house to save your family. I make those annoying sirens sound like angels singing when you need them. I make your children breathe after they have stopped.I make myself get out of bed at 3am to go risk my life for people I have never met, and have never asked for thanks.I make a difference. "what do you make?

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: BBQ Rub

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:27 pm

What type of meat are you smoking? I use different ones based upon meat selection.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:51 pm

99% of the time I do pork, so here is my rub for pork:

(I don't measure, just apply liberally)

Garlic Powder
Onion powder
smoked paprika
Tony Cacherie's creole
Black pepper
Rub all that in really well, then cake on brown sugar. The sugar gives you a nice complement to the other seasonings, and gives you that dark classic bark

Chicken:
I use a wet marinade of Mojo, pat dry then use a store bought lemon~pepper rub

Beef:
Not a huge fan of smoked beef. Pork is my favorite. However, last time I did a brisket...Same ingredients as pork. Left out brown sugar, added small amount of white sugar and dry mustard. Family raved about it
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

ffmsb
scout

Post by ffmsb » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:54 pm

It will be for pork and brisket!!!!!!! :911 Thanks guys
I make holding your hand seem like the biggest thing in the world when I am cutting you out of your car. I can make 5 minutes feel like a lifetime when I go into a burning house to save your family. I make those annoying sirens sound like angels singing when you need them. I make your children breathe after they have stopped.I make myself get out of bed at 3am to go risk my life for people I have never met, and have never asked for thanks.I make a difference. "what do you make?

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:01 pm

For brisket, I like the texas flavor so I use the following:

4 to 6 lbs cut, I like to make sure the cut has atleast 1/4" to 1/2" layer of fat left on it. Alot of times the store will trim it off when they repackage it for the shelf. I always ask them to pull one out of the cooler and cut it to size for me leaving the fat on it.

1 tbls course salt
1 tbls of chili powder
2 tsp of sugar
1 tsp of fresh ground pepper
1 tsp of ground cumin

rub it down, wrap it up and let it sit overnight.

For pork, I like the carolina flavor. I use a boston butt 5 to 6 lbs with 1/2" to 3/4" of fat still on it

1 tbls paprika
2 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp celery salt
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp salt

rub it down, wrap it up and let it sit overnight.

Anytime the smoker is going I whip up a batch of homemade bar-b-cue sauce. If you like the mustard/vinegar based sauces, you will like this one:

1 1/2 cup of cider vinegar
1 cup of brown mustard
1/2 cup of ketchup
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 garlic gloves smashed
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
**1 tsp cayenne** I have played with this one ingredient the most. For the boys at deer camp this works just fine and can be adjusted upwards. The wife and family can handle 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne or 1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes. I think I like the red pepper flakes better and have put as much as 1 tsp in at times.

Put all of these in a pot, bring it to a simmer and let simmer for aleast 10 minutes stirring constantly making sure the sugar is fully dissolved and doesn't burn to the pot.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

Return to “WILD GAME RECIPES FORUM”