Wicked Fish Batter

This is the place to post up your eating! Any Wild Game Recipes you might have or want to share!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

CanadianBlackBears
scout
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Wicked Fish Batter

Post by CanadianBlackBears » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:10 am

Here is a tasty recipe for white fish. I use it for Haddock, Halibut, & Cod. It is nice & fluffy and tastes totally wicked. Yall will just love it I am sure!!

Rob’s Fish Batter (serves 8 people)

- 3 cups of flour
or
- 2 cups of flour & 1 cup of corn meal (This is better)
- 2 eggs (put this in last with the milk)
- 2 cups milk (put this in last)
- 3 tlbs of baking powder
- ½ tlbs of garlic powder
- 1 tlbs salt
- 1 tlbs brown sugar
- 1 tlbs melted butter (put in with the milk-last)
Put dry ingredients in together & add eggs, milk, butter just before you are ready to cook. Ensure cooking oil is hot prior to putting in fish with the batter. Deep fry until batter is brown color. Great fish & chips shore lunch

Cheers

Rob

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Re: Wicked Fish Batter

Post by GoodOyster » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:26 am

I am sure this tastes good, but I prefer a more seasoned fish fry with some heat to it. Cornmeal and flour with some Everglades Heat and black pepper to taste is really good. No batter, just soak the fish in ice water a few minutes, then remove from water, allow it to stop dripping, then coat with flour/seasoning mix. Drop in hot oil, cook until medium brown. If you can't get Everglades seasonings up there and you would like to try it, let me know and I'll see if I can get some to you.
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:26 pm

This is the best general purpose breading I have found

http://www.house-autry.com/retail-produ ... ot-breader
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Kortsman
Star Scout

Post by Kortsman » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:25 am

I found an Everglades breading mix that is straight up awesome! First place I found it was in a Winn Dixie in Brooksville. My buddy found it in a Winn Dixie on Waters and Armenia in Tampa. That's the only two places we've found it around here. If you find it in your area, pick some up and try it. Or you can always order online.

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:36 am

Thanks for the recipe Rob. I'll have to add that to my recipe book. It looks like a good one. I know this may be strange but sometimes I get a hankerin' for some Long John Silver's batter fried fish. This recipe looks like it'll do the trick without having to go to the restaraunt. :toast

But I do like my catfish cooked in cornmeal as most Southerner's do so I'm going to try to find that Everglades breading. I haven't seen that one around at all. I've used the Zataran's New Orleans brand seasoned breading with great results though and you can pick that up at Publix. Either way, I just love to eat fish... :taz
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:46 pm

Kortsman wrote:I found an Everglades breading mix that is straight up awesome! First place I found it was in a Winn Dixie in Brooksville. My buddy found it in a Winn Dixie on Waters and Armenia in Tampa. That's the only two places we've found it around here. If you find it in your area, pick some up and try it. Or you can always order online.

Picked up a bag at Winn dixie in Lutz today. Its not on the aisle where the flour and breading are at...Its over by the fish counter where they sell the seafood breading. Gonna try it out on some chicken strips here in a bit
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Post by GoodOyster » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:40 pm

Be interested to find out how you like that Everglades mix. I'll have to look for it if I can find a Winn Dixie, or order some online.
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:14 am

Well, I cooked dinner with it last night. I found it to be.....ok. It had a great flavor and browned up perfectly, but was way too salty for my likings. Also has a TON of MSG in it. I think I will stick with House Autry or just Italian bread crumbs.

BTW, that's a Paula Dean vidalia onion/honey mustard dressing that was outstanding. I will definitely be adding that to my grocery list

Kortsman
Star Scout

Post by Kortsman » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:54 am

Man that looks good!

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:31 pm

Hey Allen, just wondering. Did you put that lettuce on the plate to make yourself feel good about eating all that fried goodness? Just go for it son! You should have some french fries, hush puppies and cheese grits on that plate :>)

Just kidding with ya. It looks real good...and fancy.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:06 pm

Gotta get the three food groups in every meal...veggies, meat and beer

CanadianBlackBears
scout

Post by CanadianBlackBears » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:12 pm

Iluv2hunt wrote:Well, I cooked dinner with it last night. I found it to be.....ok. It had a great flavor and browned up perfectly, but was way too salty for my likings. Also has a TON of MSG in it. I think I will stick with House Autry or just Italian bread crumbs.

BTW, that's a Paula Dean vidalia onion/honey mustard dressing that was outstanding. I will definitely be adding that to my grocery list
Holy crap...that looks delicious, it's criminal to post a picture like that :nono , I'm sending the yummy cops :dtect after ya for doin that....Looks wicked :rockon

CanadianBlackBears
scout

Post by CanadianBlackBears » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:13 pm

Iluv2hunt wrote:Well, I cooked dinner with it last night. I found it to be.....ok. It had a great flavor and browned up perfectly, but was way too salty for my likings. Also has a TON of MSG in it. I think I will stick with House Autry or just Italian bread crumbs.

I forgot to ask, which one did you try?

Return to “WILD GAME RECIPES FORUM”