Jerky

This is the place to post up your eating! Any Wild Game Recipes you might have or want to share!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: Jerky

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:04 pm

If you are using beef, you need to get top round, bottom round, or london broil. The lesser amount of fat marbling, the better...

As far as a cure, I don't use it for jerky. This crap bag of seasoning had it in there but generally I don't use it. I bag it up in small bags and vacuum seal, toss bags in the freezer. You can leave a bag in the fridge for over 2 weeks uncured. However, I will guarantee you it will not last more than a few days. I had to get mine in the freezer or I would have eaten the whole tray of it

If you want to use a cure, do an internet search for instacure #1. You can get a "butter dish tub" for not a lot and it will last a long time, as you don't use much. I do use it for curing ham and bacon
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

CanadianBlackBears
scout

Post by CanadianBlackBears » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:10 pm

Ensure all the fat is removed from the meat. Round or flank steaks are the best to use. Cut the meat with the grain in 1/4" thick strips in desired lengths. Lay the strips on a flat pan and pat dry and follow the instructions on the seasoning package. I am telling ya Hi Mountain seasonings are wicked.

36fan
scout

Post by 36fan » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:58 pm

Another vote for Hi Mountain jerky mixes - that stuff is awesome! I have tried several of their blends, but I personally like the 'mesquite' and 'hickory' mixes best. I've started adding in some 'inferno' as well to give it a little more kick. The inferno jerky just tasted like salted meat with some heat.

The meat gets put in a bowl, water gets added, then the mix/cure gets poured in and stirred up. I cover the bowl and it goes in the fridge at least overnight, of not for a day or two.

I don't use a dehydrator - I started to use one once, but it would've taken several hours, and I would've still have to be finish in the oven to get the meat above 160 deg. I have a gas stove/oven and three jerky racks. The oven is set on 200 deg, and the trays are slide in for a couple of hours. Then it gets a test test to see if it has dried out enough. My stove has a vent on top, so I don't bother leaving the door cracked.

I tried some other mix once, and I think the dog ended up getting almost all of that batch.

The 'cure' is sodium nitrate, it prevents the growth of bacteria that causes botulism and spoilage. Sodium nitrate is a preservative found in a lot of processed meats (like hot dogs).

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:41 pm

Ok time to rebirth this thread, I got I smoker from santa this year and I''m bout to die to get some venison on it to make some jerky. I've done a test or two on it so far with no avail yet. I'm the type to use my own seasoning, never used a smoker to make it so I'm not sure of how long it will take. I know that...no I don't know that is why I'm rebirthing this thread. What is the best temp to try and keep the smoker at and how long. (there about) What is some of everyones Recipes?

:saluting
Bossman

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:55 pm

I've only made it in the conventional oven at app 150 with the door ajar, or the food dehydrator. I'd start low and slow and see how it goes. you can always turn up the heat/time, can't uncook overdone. trial and error. also depends on how thin you slice it. if it's well marinated/cured you don't really have to "cook" it, just make it dry.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:12 pm

Ive never been able to get it right on a smoker.
I use my dehydrator. Equal parts wor. sauce/teryaki/ soy sauce, and tons of fresh black pepper. Maybe a splash of liquid smoke. Takes about 6 hours
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:32 am

put some honey in that teriaki/soy mix, it has antimicrobial properties + makes it taste better,imo. it is being used to treat wounds, prevent infection and promote healing. it is the only food that will never go bad, it may dry up and crystalize but not rot. also in a smoker, since with jerky the object is to dry the meat, do not add a water bowl over the coals or soak wood chips in water. I suppose you could smoke it normaly, then put it in a dehydrator to dry it out.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:05 am

Iluv2hunt wrote:Ive never been able to get it right on a smoker.
Me neither. It is hard to hold my smoker under 200 degrees for a long enough time to smoke jerky correctly. I had the idea to hit the jerky with some heavy smoke for +/- 1 hour and then transfer to the dehydrator but haven't tried it yet.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:00 pm

OK, I gave up on the smoker that I got for Christmas. It does good on cooking meat but jerky it just can't get a low enough temp. I bought a dehydrator and had to jerk some of this venison. So far I've got one backstrap in the dehydrator one in the marinade and just cut up a shoulder and put in the marinade. Ready to eat, but first I have to mail a bag to one of my soldiers that had gone back to Kuwait on a mob. For some reason they say that I promised them some jerky some time back and don't remember that but hey they are in the some messed up country.

:saluting
Bossman

davedirt
Ordeal

Post by davedirt » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:07 pm

This is how I do it on the smoker and its beef top round. I have not done deer on it just the dehydrator. Its propane and I set it on low, takes about 5-6 hours to get it rite. I don't smoke till its like shoe leather. I have some tricks to finish it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
STAY HUNGRY MY FRIENDS
DUG IN TIGHTER THAN ALABAMA TICK

ROLL TIDE

Last year I was a hunter and not a harvester........

Return to “WILD GAME RECIPES FORUM”