Jerky

This is the place to post up your eating! Any Wild Game Recipes you might have or want to share!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Jerky

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:12 am

First of all, I will go on the record and say these pre packaged jerky seasonings are junk. I will even go as far as to call it laughable. Only reason I bought a couple of them was they were in clearance at Wal Mart. It says they season 5# of meat. Yeah right. I took out enough venison to weigh 5# on my kitchen scale. I sliced the meat, added to a 2.5 gallon bag, added the seasoning, and shook and shook and shook. I opened the bag and you could barely see any seasoning on the meat at all. I re-read the package to make sure it was for 5#. Sure enough it is. Whatever. It probably is not enough for 1# of meat. I added my own concoction to the bag and let it marinade over night

After adding my own stuff to the bag

After cramming it all on the dehydrator

Should be ready this afternoon! :chef
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

DONY1
Junior Assistant Scout Master

Re: Jerky

Post by DONY1 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:09 am

Never made any jerky myself. I've got a buddy of mine that is gonna make some for me though. He's been hounding me for a month. Now that you posted this I guess I'll give him some meat in the next couple of days. I had thought about trying to make some myself in the oven as I don't have a dehydrator. Have you ever made it in the oven and if so how did it come out?

deutze
Second Class Scout

Post by deutze » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:22 am

never tried it myself yet but now have a dehydrator. yours looks kinda wet, is that ok? I was thinking of bbq sauce/bourbon marinade or terriaki. also gonna do some herbs.

Kortsman
Star Scout

Post by Kortsman » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:51 am

Anything in liquid is going to be wet... :clown :hammer

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:17 am

DONY1 wrote:I had thought about trying to make some myself in the oven as I don't have a dehydrator. Have you ever made it in the oven and if so how did it come out?
I have made it in the oven before and it came out great. I am not sure about a dehydrator, but an oven will be unforgiving if you are not consistent with thickness when slicing up the meat. Based on the way I did it, you do not want to be pulling it out all the time because some pieces are finished before others.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:19 pm

You can do it in the oven. To me its a PIA. You need to put the meat on a wire rack. Put the oven on as low as it will go(like around 160-170), prop door open with a wooden spoon to let moisture out, and let it go for 6-8 hours. Thats why I prefer a dehydrator. You can get one like I have at Wally for <$30.

Yeah dave, it was a little wet. I do a wet marinade at least 18 hours, preferably 24. I usually put it in a collandar for a while to drain. But today I was in a hurry to haul azz to a job, so I could sit there and wait on a customer that was late as hell.
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

DONY1
Junior Assistant Scout Master

Post by DONY1 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:51 pm

I'd never even looked at them and didn't realize they were that cheap. Guess I'm gonna have to hit Wallyworld soon. Thanks IL2H.

CanadianBlackBears
scout

Post by CanadianBlackBears » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:53 pm

Ever try Hi Mountain seasonings, they are awesome :clap . I have found with making jerky you have to watch it very close as some strips are thicker than others and have to be taken off the dehyfrator sooner. These seasonings come in a variety pack which have mesquite, hickory, cracked pepper'n'garlic, cajun, and original. I found the original the best. I know it sure doesn't last long after it's made :taz . It's like my neighbors and hunting buddies can smell it before I get it packaged.....hahahahaha

Here is the link......http://himtnjerky.com/

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:14 pm

One of two plates(-what I nibbled on all afternoon)

bodysnatcher

Post by bodysnatcher » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:27 pm

Man, That looks good. :toast
Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:40 pm

Iluv2hunt wrote: To me its a PIA.
This x2. I need to get a dehydrator myself.

I actually used wooden skewers, marked the distance of the openings of the rack in the oven and placed the meat accordingly. I must of had 30 skewers in there at once on one rack.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

CanadianBlackBears
scout

Post by CanadianBlackBears » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:55 am

This is criminal brother to put a picture like that on line :chain

That is fine lookin jerky for sure. I would be willing to bet it smelled just as good as it looks while it was cooking. Great job man :rock_on

deutze
Second Class Scout

Post by deutze » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:04 pm

so, is that store bought "seasoning" for taste or to act as a preservative? do you realy need it?

CanadianBlackBears
scout

Post by CanadianBlackBears » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:39 pm

The Hi Mountain seasoning is both, you mix 2-1 preservative to seasoning. It is a wicked packaged product for making jerky as long as you get the weight proportions right per the instructions.

deutze
Second Class Scout

Post by deutze » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:57 am

still in the research stages but not liking the idea of using storebought bags of chemical preservatives. Africa has a version of jerky called biltong that preserves with vinegar, apple cider/malt or balsamic then cured in coarse ground: rock salt, brown sugar, tumeric and cracked black pepper. you can cut it in much thicker slices. if using beef what cuts would you recommend? I've made gravlox thats a sugar/salt cured thin sliced salmon thats great.

Return to “WILD GAME RECIPES FORUM”