new fees?

Discuss all your General "Inshore" altwater fishing here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:51 pm

Cr0ck1 wrote:this new licensing will stop people like Iluv2hunt from fishing. :razz: he would have to renounce the shorts and mudd boots and reform.. lol ;-)

I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:15 pm

i know it hurts to let go of the shorts and mudd boots... i refuse. lol

bodysnatcher

Post by bodysnatcher » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:34 pm

GoodOyster wrote:Supposedly any state with an existing saltwater licensing program is exempt from applying the Federal Registry fees. I forget the actual wording, but it's like "If you don't do it statewide, we'll force it on you federally!"

There oughta be a revolution......
Ya, will see how that goes. The feds will see it as money they cane have and the stat will not want loss of the mony that they should have. We are headed for Mr. Toads wild ride with this one. Bring your own lube.
Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Post by GoodOyster » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:44 pm

If any of you are much on reading, check out a book about a guy named Totch Brown who grew up and lived down around Chokoloskee, the Everglades and Ten Thousand Islands back before the Great Depression. He poached gators, caught mullet and pompano, grew sugar cane, etc. to survive, living on a lot of the shell mounds and mangrove islands. He went and fought in WWII, came back and was one of the first to catch and sell stone crabs, building his own traps. He even smuggled pot up from Columbia for a while, went to jail, just an all around interesting life. Must have been a rough life, but sometimes it sounds pretty inviting compared to where we might be headed!
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:46 am

Florida considers fishing fee
DALE WHITE | Sarasota Herald-Tribune

As Floridians have done for generations, Thomas Barbee took his 9-year-old nephew to a saltwater pier Wednesday to teach the boy to fish.

The bonding that comes from showing a youngster how to put shrimp on a hook or feel for a strike was one big attraction.

But the other is that saltwater fishing from shore, a bridge or a pier is one of the easiest and least expensive activities in the state.

No license is needed for Florida residents, and equipment can be as basic as a pole, a hook and a shrimp.

But the free ride may soon end as the state Legislature, hungry for new dollars to balance its sagging budget, considers charging residents a $17 license fee to fish from saltwater shores and piers.

"It's ridiculous," said Barbee, 44, as he and nephew Markey Vazquez dropped a line from a Palmetto pier over the Manatee River. "Pretty soon they'll want to charge you for breathing air."

Barbee, a Manatee County native, said fishing has been an essential part of his family's lifestyle since his ancestors moved to the area in 1864.

"My parents encouraged us to 'get out of here and go fishing,'" Barbee remembered. "That's what we'd do all day long."

For some residents struggling financially, it may not be recreation as much as it is a rite of survival that can put food on their table.

Being required to get a license would be more than a pain in the pocketbook. Shoreline anglers will have to remember to carry their license with them and be sure to update them each year to avoid getting fined.

Eliminating the exemption for shore fishing could affect an estimated 200,000 Florida anglers and raise about $1.7 million, according to information provided to the state Legislature.

The state already requires annual licenses for freshwater fishing and for saltwater fishing from a boat, except for some charters.

But Florida does not charge residents to pay to fish from saltwater shores.

And if a sampling of opinions from area anglers Wednesday is representative, diehard and casual fishermen alike are not pleased with the idea.

"That's crazy," said Steve Munsen, 44, as he bought bait and headed to a Bradenton park on the Manatee River with his children -- Montana, 11, Elijah, 9, and Chris, 8. "Look at the economic times we're in. There are other ways to raise money."

Despite the unpopularity of the fee proposal -- one of many new fees or fee increases being considered by lawmakers this session -- the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission says it is the best way to meet an upcoming federal mandate.

Next year, the National Marine Fisheries Service wants to create a registry of all anglers in the nation so it can get better data when making decisions about how to manage, protect and preserve fisheries.

"They want to build a database of fishermen with names, addresses and phone numbers," said Lee Schlesinger, spokesman for Fish and Wildlife.

Currently, the FFWCC gathers information about saltwater fishing off shorelines, bridges and piers based on random telephone surveys. That method will be considered inadequate by the federal government as of Jan. 1.

The federal government is not requiring Florida to make all saltwater fishermen pay for a license.

But if Florida or any other coastal state does not set up a registry, the federal government will step in and do it, Schlesinger said.

If that happens, the federal fisheries service expects to charge $15 to $25 to register each saltwater angler in Florida, including those who already paid for a state license.

"That money would go into federal coffers," Schlesinger said.

"Florida can avoid having to deal with all that by plugging this loophole," he said, referring to the exemption for shoreline and pier fishing.

Florida would keep the money and already licensed fishermen would not be charged twice.

Fines for not having a license would vary by county.

Frank Winkle, manager of Hart's Landing, a bait and tackle shop on Sarasota's John Ringling Causeway, wonders how many of his customers will buy the license.

"We get a lot of lesser financially sound people here," Winkle said. "For a lot of people from Newtown, it's their only recreation. This has been one of the perks of living here."

Tammy Teran of Hardee County said Floridians who do not live on the coasts could be resentful.

Teran occasionally takes her 11-year-old son Christopher and 8-year-old daughter Katie to fishing spots such as Fort DeSoto Park in St. Petersburg or the Green Bridge pier in Palmetto.

"I grew up around the water," said Teran, who is originally from Fort Myers. "Our dad always took us fishing."

Now she has to drive more than an hour to let her children saltwater fish. Add the cost of an annual license to the costs associated with poles, tackle, bait and the commute, and saltwater fishing for her family will not be such an inexpensive hobby anymore, Teran said.

She shook her head in disappointment.

"Things have changed so much in Florida."
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

houseofmicah
Eagle Scout

Post by houseofmicah » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:34 am

i think its bs. i do agree with part of allans statement that alot of these people may be more apt to keep illegal fish, however there are far more people who recreationally fish that follow the rules. they have already put some ridiculous rules on size and quantity limits on so many fish that they are taking so much fun out of fishing. i dont think it is unreasonable to have to have a license for fishing or hunting. i do think its a bit of a stretch to place so many fees and require so many stamps for so many different things, especially as a resident. i am going to buy my son his LIFETIME fishing and hunting license for his birthday this year. on top of paying for that, ill have to buy all kinds of BS stamps and specialty tags.

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:48 am

every time i fish every one around me had no idea what they are doing.. When they dont want to take the fish off the hook they just slam it on the ground and swing it around... they whould not be fishing.. they will keep a big lady fish on land and let it die cause they are scared to pick it up and put it back in the water.. i get my yearly fishing permit anyway.. just incase i hit off shore.. no big deal to me.. WHATS 17 BUCKS!!! most people pay 20 bucks for shrimp and food.. so you go fishing 1 day less a year and it pays for itself.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:50 am

Cr0ck1 wrote:every time i fish every one around me had no idea what they are doing.. When they dont want to take the fish off the hook they just slam it on the ground and swing it around... they whould not be fishing.. they will keep a big lady fish on land and let it die cause they are scared to pick it up and put it back in the water.. i get my yearly fishing permit anyway.. just incase i hit off shore.. no big deal to me.. WHATS 17 BUCKS!!! most people pay 20 bucks for shrimp and food.. so you go fishing 1 day less a year and it pays for itself.
and $17 worth of Pabst blue ribbon and Marlboro reds they are usually toting

houseofmicah
Eagle Scout

Post by houseofmicah » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:56 am

:lol: you must fish at some pretty shady places

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:02 am

i fish at some of the most beautiful places.. and people come from far to fish there.. i myself drive a half hour.. its just at night people are there and acting a fool.. too bad they dont know that if they would just stop using squid and a sinker they might just get a real fish!

houseofmicah
Eagle Scout

Post by houseofmicah » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:06 am

you find people like that at alot of places, just goes with the territory. i know things have to be done, i just get ticked cause im tired of spending more money to give the government so i can have a good time. it seems to be getting more expensive to have a good time.

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:08 am

i buy my license every year so it wont effect me.. but you would need it if you ever went off shore or fished form a jetski or small boat anyway..
Last edited by Cr0ck1 on Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:09 am

I fish out of my kayak around weedon, and I take my boat out of Steinhatchee about 5 times a year
I stay away from the bridges and stuff nowadays

houseofmicah
Eagle Scout

Post by houseofmicah » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:10 am

true.

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:16 am

i NEVER fish "off bridges". I fish either under them or off seawalls or jettys. I hate people who fish off bridges and botom fish and get a freakin huge sting ray on the line then try to fight it.. LOL

Return to “INTERCOASTAL FISHING FORUM”