Captiva fishing

Discuss all your General "Inshore" altwater fishing here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

DONY1
Junior Assistant Scout Master
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Captiva fishing

Post by DONY1 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:23 pm

Gonna take the misses over to Captiva for our anniversary next week. I rented a cottage on the beach for a few days to spend some quality down time. Since she likes to sleep in and I don't I figured I'd take a couple rods with me and fish the 1st couple hours after daybreak along the beach. Of all the fishing I've done over the years I've never fished from the beach. I've been doing a little reading to get a feel for what I need for tackle and technique but wanted to get as much input as possible. I'm not gonna mess with any bait at all. I love topwater but not sure if that's the way to go. I've read that some guys prefer a white bucktail. Any of you guys spend any time fishing the beach around there? Any advice you want to throw out? I'm mainly looking for snook, reds, trout and such. Not bringing the gear to do any shark fishing. Thanks for any advice guys.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Re: Captiva fishing

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:45 pm

I believe its a little late for the snook up on the beaches. Tossing a jig into the surf at daybreak is the way to catch them, though. I always wade out waist deep and throw back laterally to the shore line
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:07 pm

On the south side of Upper Captiva pass, on the bay side during the outgoing tide, there are some bigs reds that sit just +/- 20 off the shore waiting for that strong tide to bring them some lunch. We were fishing on the bottom w/ frozen shrimp and cut lady fish. We fish right next to the docks and boat slips. My buddy had good luck fishing the seawall at Redfish Pass as well w/ topwater. That should be easier to access for you. Most of our topwater action in that area is done in the Pine Island Sound but from the boat.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

kc45
Troop Bugler

Post by kc45 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:34 pm

Dony1,

My wife and I used to go stay at South Sea Resort every year and I've fished some of that area in the early morning hours with moderate to great success. The best spot I've found is the Redfish Pass but I'm not sure how difficult or easy it is to get there if you are not a guest of the resort. Other areas I've fish are beaches on the Gulf side and fishing there can be good too and is much easier to get access. Most beaches in that area is full of sunbathers during the day but is empty early mornings and I was never asked to leave.

The first thing is to fish when the water is moving fast in or out as slack tide is usually very quiet. You also want to see where the troughs and cuts are located as fish and baits will concentrate in those areas. Always lookout for bait fish and diving birds as thats where large fish will be. I've caught snooks, redfish, jacks and trout out there but have also hooked into tarpons and a shark. On quiet mornings you can sometimes see and cast to large fish just crusing off the beach. One time I reeled in 3 snooks in about 15 minutes from a small break in the sandbar just about 80 feet off the shore where they were waiting for bait fish to wash by. I could see them from the beach when the sun came up. The ideas situation is where you have calm flat water at sunrise about 1 hour after high tide where the water level is still high but is moving out fast.

I used long rods to get distance and reels with lots of line. I typically used 7 1/2' fast action rod with 200+ yards of 15 or 17 lb. line. I tried various jigs, plastic shrimp, Mirrolures, spoons, etc. but settled down to just 3/4 oz flathead bucktail jig with 5" white curlytail worm or 3-4" DOA shrimp for most situations. Whatever you use you want it to be as weedless as possible as there are lots of floating weed.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

DONY1

Post by DONY1 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:06 am

I've got my rods set up with 12 lb braid and usually use 40 lb fluoro for a leader so hopefully I should be good. I'll probably throw some topwater right at sunup the 1st morning just because and change over to a mirrodine or jig after a bit. Gonna have 3 mornings to give it a try. I'm already set on any tackle so I'll probably just set up 1 small box for the trip.Maybe a couple tubs of Gulp shrimp. We'll be right down the beach from South Seas at Tween Waters kc. I'm sure I'll mosey down the beach that way. Thanks again guys.

DONY1

Post by DONY1 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:42 pm

Leaving tomorrow about mid day. Have to stop on the way and check on a job though. Going out tonight so as usual I'll wait to pack till tomorrow. LOL

CitySlicker
Tenderfoot

Post by CitySlicker » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:54 pm

Buck tails in white, bring some soft plastics in white like 3 to 4" bass assasians, tsunami has some nice jigs in 3 to 4in golden mullet, and always have some crank baits like bomber long A , or Yozuri in red, and white, or silver and blue right before sun up can be deadly. Captiva holds alot of snook. Find some structure with some flow, or just walk the beach in the a.m. should find some fish.

kc45
Troop Bugler

Post by kc45 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:57 pm

Have a great time.

davedirt
Ordeal

Post by davedirt » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:20 pm

I will be at Sanibel Harbour Marriott this weekend with the wife. I don't know how close they are but, good luck with surf fishing.
STAY HUNGRY MY FRIENDS
DUG IN TIGHTER THAN ALABAMA TICK

ROLL TIDE

Last year I was a hunter and not a harvester........

xxbigjrm16xx
Troop Bugler

Post by xxbigjrm16xx » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:55 pm

Good luck. Sounds fun!

DONY1

Post by DONY1 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:14 am

Been slow so far. Picked 1 flounder so far and that's it. Lost a couple good ones though. Stayed on the beach all day and am a little burnt but gonna hit it again in a bit.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

DONY1

Post by DONY1 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:57 pm

Did better today but still no snook. Caught about a 1/2 dozen ladyfish and a couple jacks in the 1st hour of sunup. Had a good time though. Tween Waters was nice. Only left the resort for about an hour to check out the rest of the island. Tried to check out South Seas yesterday but they wouldn't let me through the gate. LOL

houseofmicah
Eagle Scout

Post by houseofmicah » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:50 pm

tween waters is cool, stayed there 3 or so years ago. good atmosphere.

Return to “INTERCOASTAL FISHING FORUM”