stone crab season

Discuss all your General "Inshore" altwater fishing here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

gargoyle725
Second Class Scout
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

stone crab season

Post by gargoyle725 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:57 am

Starts monday. Anyone ever do it with out traps? I remember when I was a kid we use to flip rocks by the seawall at fortdesoto. Anyone of good areas that may have decent numbers?
I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option
I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or Saturday night more kisses begin with Miller Lite than Kay.

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Re: stone crab season

Post by Bossman » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:30 am

Really? I always thought that they were in 30-40 feet...would love to try and catch them in closer. I'd be willing to make my 5 allowed traps
Bossman

gargoyle725
Second Class Scout

Post by gargoyle725 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:52 am

Unless I remember wrong it was along time ago.
I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option
I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or Saturday night more kisses begin with Miller Lite than Kay.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:21 pm

I just buy a bag of the floaters from the fish house in Steinhatchee. Can't wait till they get them in
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Post by GoodOyster » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:41 pm

We use to snorkel off the beach in Englewood, in about 15-20 feet of water, and catch a few. That was back in the mid-80's, when I was skinny and could stay under water longer than 20 seconds!
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

swissk31
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by swissk31 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:30 pm

Why do they call them floaters?

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:57 pm

Floaters are the crab claws that float in water. Basically, when a crab molts the meat has to grow into its new shell. Until it grows out there's an air pocket in there. Usually they are separated and sold at a MUCH cheaper rate per pound
Sometimes they can be hit or miss on quality. I've had them when they were just a s good as the regular ones. SOme that were a bit puny. But for the most part they are fine. SOme folks complain that they are mushy, but I think that's more from lack of knowledge on cooking them
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Post by GoodOyster » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:27 pm

Iluv2hunt wrote:Floaters are the crab claws that float in water. Basically, when a crab molts the meat has to grow into its new shell. Until it grows out there's an air pocket in there. Usually they are separated and sold at a MUCH cheaper rate per pound
Sometimes they can be hit or miss on quality. I've had them when they were just a s good as the regular ones. SOme that were a bit puny. But for the most part they are fine. SOme folks complain that they are mushy, but I think that's more from lack of knowledge on cooking them
Those are what they call "lights" as in "lightweight" where my dad get's them (down around Rotunda, I think). If medium claws are $12/lb, the lights are usually about $8.
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

Glowworm
Tenderfoot

Post by Glowworm » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:08 am

I went stone crabbing along the stone jeddy next to the south sqkyway pier a few years ago. Snorkle gear a tickle stick and fast hands and you can get them out from under the rocks of the jeddy.
New season coming up!

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:46 am

I like mine cooked in Zatarian's, then chilled. And served with drawn butter with lemon, garlic, and parsley in it

Return to “INTERCOASTAL FISHING FORUM”