Don't DIS the ladyfish

Discuss all your General "Inshore" altwater fishing here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

fishindad
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Don't DIS the ladyfish

Post by fishindad » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:44 pm

Its been a while since my last post. I have been traveling and when not traveling I have been really trying to get out there as much as possible. One of the most memorable trips ended in an odd twist for me. With the kids off a few weeks ago, I always try and get my nephew out to wadefish.

Heading out to Bishops harbor in the trusty Gheenoe.... off we went. The tide was ridiculous that day... lower than I had ever seen it. We managed to still get out there and all we really found was a pod of lady fish. For me... they have always been a great fish to fight. We caught a couple and then I remembered a posting on a forum from a while back.... You got it... I kept a few. Now before you stop reading... Remember... Snook were once considered a trash fish... Keep that in mind...

I got home, put my pride on the back burner and said... whats the worst thing that could happen...

I followed the video and recepie and substituted green curry for red curry paste. HOLY COW it was good. The kids, myself and wife devoured them! Opening you mind and just trying something new sometimes is enlightening.

Don't knock it unless you try it! I will never look at a ladyfish the same way again.

Fishindad

Here are the important links.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhwckYuIwlM[/youtube]

http://rasamalaysia.com/thai-fish-cake- ... -recipe/2/

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

lamehawk
Silver Contributer

Re: Don't DIS the ladyfish

Post by lamehawk » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:35 pm

WOW someone else eats this fish also looks very good too!
BYOB = Bring your own bait!

http://myworld.ebay.com/shad_85

Just in my camper!

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:01 am

Never tried eating them but....they are my favorite type of cut bait. There aren't too many fish I haven't hooked using cut lady fish. We keep everyone we catch, if we can't use them that trip, I will cut them into steaks and freeze them for the next trip. You can almost always find a ziplock bag of cut lady fish in my freezer any time of year.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:06 am

Triple Creek Reaper wrote:Never tried eating them but....they are my favorite type of cut bait. There aren't too many fish I haven't hooked using cut lady fish. We keep everyone we catch, if we can't use them that trip, I will cut them into steaks and freeze them for the next trip. You can almost always find a ziplock bag of cut lady fish in my freezer any time of year.
Same here. I just make sure everyone on my boat unhooks them with the poop shoot facing the other way
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:24 am

Iluv2hunt wrote:
Triple Creek Reaper wrote:Never tried eating them but....they are my favorite type of cut bait. There aren't too many fish I haven't hooked using cut lady fish. We keep everyone we catch, if we can't use them that trip, I will cut them into steaks and freeze them for the next trip. You can almost always find a ziplock bag of cut lady fish in my freezer any time of year.
Same here. I just make sure everyone on my boat unhooks them with the poop shoot facing the other way
Half the time, by the time the fish is coming over the edge of the boat, its already spit the hook. Crap flying everywhere...
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

kc45
Troop Bugler

Post by kc45 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:12 am

We used to call them poor man's tarpon.
They are a lot of fun to catch on fly rod.
Ladyfish plugs are great when fishing for snooks on the bottom.
They are very oily so they make good chum too.

Return to “INTERCOASTAL FISHING FORUM”