Southshore Good times

Discuss all your General "Inshore" altwater fishing here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

fishindad
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Southshore Good times

Post by fishindad » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:51 am

I have been remiss in my posts of late.... Seems like as my kids get older my time gets more limited. Every chance I get a few hours, I have been pushing myself to get out. The flats have been on fire and jigs, mirrodines, topwater all seem to have their place. The negative lows tides are starting to show up too.

This time of year by far is my favorite. Its hard to believe that no so long ago, I did not know how to use artificials. Honestly, I rarely even use live bait these days. I am even starting to toy around with Saltwater flyfishing. The past 40 days have been some great fishing trips with great fishing buddies. AND.. best of all... GOOD dinners.

Work the edges... Think about which way the tide is moving... Think about the height of the water. Use the appropriate lure for the situation. It all matters. Right now... its a great time to be out there.

One of the reds I caught was a great fish print candidate. I have the print itself done. Once complete, I will post the process. It really came out nice.

Tight lines everyone and try and get out... Its just a great time of year.

Fishindad

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Re: Southshore Good times

Post by Iluv2hunt » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:06 am

Man after Thanksgiving is over and hunting slows down, we need to hook up and go
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Southshore Good times

Post by Cr0ck1 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:08 am

Let me know. All i do is flats fish.

Sent from my killphone.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:13 am

BTW, those blues make a very good smoked fish dip/spread
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:46 am

fishindad, Looks like you have that fishin' thing figured out! What a great mess of flounders. Hate to admit it, but I haven't been saltwater fishing in way over 40 years, used to fish all around Brevard County, Indian River, Sykes Creek, Banana River, the jetties at Canaveral. Wow that list brings back memories!
Treefarmer

fishindad

Post by fishindad » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:03 am

Iluv2hunt wrote:BTW, those blues make a very good smoked fish dip/spread
Why YES they do!! iluv2hunt / Crock... Be glad to take you guys out / join you some time. Duck season is coming up, but wading on a negative low... I make time for. Thats good stuff.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

X711
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by X711 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:15 pm

Is that tampa bay that you fish in mostly?

I need to find a good teacher, I can only figure out so much about fishing by myself...
I got a 1720 keywest that begs to be used for more then a cruise up the ICW or to the sand bars..

FLQuacker
Second Class Scout

Post by FLQuacker » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:04 pm

:rockon

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Post by GoodOyster » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:24 pm

X711 wrote:Is that tampa bay that you fish in mostly?

I need to find a good teacher, I can only figure out so much about fishing by myself...
I got a 1720 keywest that begs to be used for more then a cruise up the ICW or to the sand bars..
Give me holler some time. I can show you a few spots in Lemon Bay, and Stump Pass, on the flats, etc. Been fishing that area for years, my dad lives on Gottfried Creek. If you need to know how to rig up for certain things I'll be happy to show you.
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

X711
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by X711 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:52 am

GoodOyster wrote:

Give me holler some time. I can show you a few spots in Lemon Bay, and Stump Pass, on the flats, etc. Been fishing that area for years, my dad lives on Gottfried Creek. If you need to know how to rig up for certain things I'll be happy to show you.

sounds like a plan, the "flats" part is something i know i'm lacking knowledge of how to and rigging.
I've tried artificials, but no good responses. and the live shrimp on a weighted float was only thing ive ever had any luck with on a few small reds and sea trout.

fishindad

Post by fishindad » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:19 am

Yup. I fish in Tampa Bay mostly. You boat might be a big big to get where I go but I would be glad to give you some pointers. My BEST advice to you is to get the book Secret Spots by Frank Sargent. Dont pass go... Dont collect 200... GET the book!

Drop me a note and I will see what I can do to help.

X711
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by X711 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:13 pm

i'll check out that book.
I do also have a fishing yak, which would be great for flats once i figure out the takle/rig setups
the 1720 isn't a flats only boat, but draft isn't to bad

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Post by GoodOyster » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:32 pm

X711 wrote:
GoodOyster wrote:

sounds like a plan, the "flats" part is something i know i'm lacking knowledge of how to and rigging.
I've tried artificials, but no good responses. and the live shrimp on a weighted float was only thing ive ever had any luck with on a few small reds and sea trout.
Jigs tipped with some shrimp, gold spoons, Yo-Zuri or Rapala minnows, even some topwater lures like a zara spook can be effective on the flats. Time of day, tide, wind, temperature all affect the choice. Live shrimp under a popping cork is hard to beat, but how you rig can make a difference. Fishing it anywhere the flats drop off into a channel or across a bare spot in the grass is usually productive if the fish are feeding.The first 2 or 3 hours of an outgoing tide, especially if it coincides with the morning hours just after sunrise, are usually the best.

For snapper, there's several spots around the bridge, some of the mangrove islands south of the bridge and west of the intracoastal, and in Stump Pass. Oyster bars are good for reds, using jigs or other artificials.

You can either decide to fish a certain species and let that determine when you go and what you use, or if you just go when you can go, you let conditions guide you on what to target. Thing is, you never know for sure what might hit. I caught a 23" gag grouper free-lining a pinfish for snook, and I've caught spanish, pompano, snook, reds, and snapper drifting the flats for trout.

Lot of great fishing in the bays and around the mangroves!
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

fishindad

Post by fishindad » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:09 pm

X711 wrote:i'll check out that book.
I do also have a fishing yak, which would be great for flats once i figure out the takle/rig setups
the 1720 isn't a flats only boat, but draft isn't to bad
There are 2 versions. One for the Tampa area and one for the Sarasota and south. BOTH are well worth it.

I fish mainly the flats. The key is the stage of the tide and the water movement. That dictates where you fish and with what. For instance... If the flats are too shallow for a mirrodine or a jig, try a gold spoon or a top water. The nice part about arties is that you are not limited. Shrimp on a cork is good for some situations but not all. In addition, you will CONSTANTLY be fighting pins. Gulp on a cork is a much better option. You will spend more time on the "hunt" and less time changing bait. The gulp will give you some extra umph...

The easiest structure to find is a channel entrance or exit from the bay. The next easiest is bridges and their pilings. Where there is structure and current flow, there are fish.

Return to “INTERCOASTAL FISHING FORUM”