Scallop season 2016

Discuss all your General "Inshore" altwater fishing here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Scallop season 2016

Post by Bossman » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:37 am

Ok everyone scallop season is here and we're looking forward to seeing everyone's results. Post pics of your trip and give everyone a report of where you were and how thick they were. looking forward to seeing the catch.

:saluting :boat
Bossman

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Re: Scallop season 2016

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:53 am

Made it out to Crystal River July 14-18 and had a great time. It was our first time out scalloping and met some great people over at the Crystal Isle RV Park. We had to run 7 miles south from the last channel marker and seemed to find the greatest concentration in 6 ft to 7 ft of water. Everyone was limiting out both days we were on the water.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:59 pm

Triple, To bad the forum has been down, we could have met up and went out. We've been out 2 times and limited out both days and heading back out in the morning. Gonna get an early start because low tide is 6:45 and I think that I've had better luck on low tide. Last Sunday we went out to about 12 feet of water a did some fishing. We didn't have much luck other than lady fish and plenty of them.

:saluting
Bossman

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:04 pm

If ya got room next time let me know!!

fishindad

Post by fishindad » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:23 am

I have been itching to get out there. Been a couple years since I have been. I understand its been a BANNER year so far.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:34 pm

Man it's early in the week to commit to another weekend of scalloping. Don't know what the weather is going to do... I've got so many people wanting to go with us that it's hard not to commit. It's all about friends wanting to have a good time. Brother-in law wanting to go with his wife and I have an FHP buddy that did time in Iraq with me would love to take the family out... What do you do?

where is my flag?
Bossman

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:50 am

Bossman wrote:Man it's early in the week to commit to another weekend of scalloping. Don't know what the weather is going to do... I've got so many people wanting to go with us that it's hard not to commit. It's all about friends wanting to have a good time. Brother-in law wanting to go with his wife and I have an FHP buddy that did time in Iraq with me would love to take the family out... What do you do?

where is my flag?
Hell, if they will pay for the gas, ice, beer and wash the boat down after they get back to shore I might be their huckleberry. Seriously though, a lot of people don't understand the cost, time and work it takes to keep a saltwater boat maintained and looking new even for a short day trip.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:47 pm

[/quote]

Hell, if they will pay for the gas, ice, beer and wash the boat down after they get back to shore I might be their huckleberry. Seriously though, a lot of people don't understand the cost, time and work it takes to keep a saltwater boat maintained and looking new even for a short day trip.[/quote]

Tell me bout those same people want BACON from the wild hog that you kill.
Bossman

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:52 pm

Levy County Emergency Management
8 hrs ·

HEAVY RAINFALL EXPECTED

The National Weather Service is predicting up to 8 inches of rain in the Levy County area over the next few days. Areas that are prone to rainfall related flooding should take precautions to protect property and monitor weather closely. Remember, never drive through flooded roadways. Turn around, don't drown.
REALLY?
Bossman

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:22 pm

Hey Bossman, looks like whoever gave that weather report got it right. Watchin' on the radar it's been swirlin' all along the coast for a while. The forecast was for that mess to slide west and bring up to 11" over the panhandle.
Ain't lookin' forward to that.
Treefarmer

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:06 am

Well looking good for this weekend and hoping for the best... 33% chance of rain for Saturday so the plans have began... we'll see if we can get an early start and beat the crowd out there. I think that we'll start in a little deeper water since we have had several days of bad weather. Here I am talking like a professional scalloper... when I only hit it like a weekend warrior. Anyway we're going to see if we can limit out once again. Hell, maybe this time I'll get some pictures of proof. I guess that I don't get pictures because most of the time I have got most of them cleaned before everyone gets in the boat. WAIT! maybe that is why everyone wants to go with me... I do most of the cleaning. :-)
Bossman

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:08 am

Well, I think that we have made the last scallop trip of the year. We started out doing what the wife wanted and that was shallow water 3-4'. They were thin there with having to look really hard for what we got. After that dive The Bossman stepped in and told everyone that we was going to go in deep. We went out to around 6-6.5' and found a spot that I thought looked good and dropped anchor. I dove into the water to check things out before everyone else got in and before they threw me my bag I was holding 3 scallops. It was this stop that we claimed most of our haul. Everyone was in the water for about 2 hours this dive and not only gathered lots of scallops but a plenty of sun as well. We pulled anchor and went to another spot and in around 7' and in this location I found a reef that was 4' wide and 50' long and man I should have had a spear gun there was several grunts (good size) and on grouper that weighted 5+ Lbs. I looked around and I was the only one diving everyone else was on the boat eating and drinking. I told them to get in that there was a plenty of scallops here also. I guess that they had gotten enough diving for the day and the sun was starting to get the best of them. I finished filling my bag and climbed aboard and topped off the haul. We started to clean and the brother in-law started helping me clean. I was cleaning about 5 to 1 faster than Kevin but at least I have help this time. You would have thought that it was opening weekend with all of the boats that was out there. I really should have taking pictures of the drive back in. With the fishing tournament that was going on and everyone else coming in at the same time made it crowded. Everyone had a great time and we had around 8 gallons of uncleaned scallops and almost a half gallon of cleaned meat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bossman

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:46 pm

Looks like yall had a good time!! I missed scallopping this year but hopefully this coming year well be out filling buckets!!

Return to “INTERCOASTAL FISHING FORUM”