Catching Shrimp

Discuss all your General "Inshore" altwater fishing here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

GOBBLERSTOPPER
scout

Catching Shrimp

Post by GOBBLERSTOPPER » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:02 am

I am new to the saltwater world so I need some help. I want to catch some shrimp for my own consumption not for fishing. I was told to use a cast net when the shrimp were in.

My questions are:

When are they in, is it a certain time of the year?
Day or not?
Do I use bait to attract them?

Any help will greatly be appreciated... Thanks.

GOBBLERSTOPPER
scout

Re: Catching Shrimp

Post by GOBBLERSTOPPER » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:13 pm

I was just talking to another guy in my building and he said to use cat food as bait for shrimp. Does that sound right or is he pulling my leg?

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Iluv2hunt » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:24 pm

Full moon
Incoming tide
at night
in the spring
dip net and lantern
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

HCON3
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by HCON3 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:43 pm

You can catch shrimp any day by pushing some type net small mesh through the grass beds but will never get enough to eat. Most will be small grass shrimp. The bigger shrimp come up out of the bottom at night on the incoming tide till just after it tops over going out. You can push at night just wouldn't advise doing it as they are fast and other things out at night. In the spring may and june all shrimp leave the bays to spawn out in 24fathoms of water never to return. Best time to be on any bridge with long handled dip net or cast net with latern and you can catch your limit most nights may to june 15th best on full moon and extra high tides. I ran my own shrimp boat for 9yrs every night during incoming tide with 12ft shrimp trawls and you have to run them down.

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Post by GoodOyster » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:11 pm

I've known people to catch shrimp in Choctaw Bay with cast nets. They'd take a can of cat or dog food, punch holes all over it with an icepick, tie a string to it and toss it out onto the grass flat in about knee deep water as the evening tide came in. They'd move down a ways and fish, drink beer for a couple hours, then after dark come back to where the can had been sitting and shine the light. If they saw a bunch of shrimp eyes they'd throw the net. Wait 15-20 minutes for things to settle down, shine the light, throw the net, etc. Might catch 2 or 3 dozen each throw, might catch nothing! Never any huge ones, but good for bait or to put in a gumbo or etouffee'.
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

jesse
scout

Post by jesse » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:32 am

the shrimp are running right now in the st.john'sriver at palatka,fl. you can join 100 plus people and throw from the city dock if you don't have a boat.if you do you can launch there too.the limit is a 5 gal bucket per person heads on from land and one 5 gal bucket per boat heads on( must land them whole). most people are catching about 5 gal (500 plus)shrimp for 4 hours throwing. a 6 ft cast net is best as it is possible to make more throws per hour than a bigger net. must be a shrimp net. shrimp come to rock salt and /or feed .Some people put duck tape around bottom of the net to make it spread better.light does help attract shrimp. good luck

kaboodle
scout

Post by kaboodle » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:20 pm

I went out on the St. Johns just north of the Shands bridge last Wednesday night from 8-12 and filled a 5 gallon bucket. We couldn't get our hands on any shrimp meal so we used wet dog food, mixed it with flour and packed it into bait balls. Throw them out and wait 15 minutes and start throwing the net. They run here every late summer. Have been here for a month, don't know how long they will stay, the longer they do, the bigger they are. Last couple years there hasn't been many shrimp in the runs, this is the best I've seen in the last 3 years.

houseofmicah
Eagle Scout

Post by houseofmicah » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:22 pm

we have a commercial fisherman that always drops by mullet, shrimp and whatever else he gets in to, and he heads up there to the St johns every year or so and usually brings back several gallons for us. your report co-incides with his last two years of not many shrimp making it to the shop. the shrimp from up that way are nice and sweet.

Return to “INTERCOASTAL FISHING FORUM”