Kingfish and the birthday boy

Discuss all your General "Inshore" altwater fishing here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

fishindad
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Kingfish and the birthday boy

Post by fishindad » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:50 am

Its been a while since I posted a good fishing report. Mostly its been that way because of my recent travels. I have been living vicariously though this forum. :-) Anyway, things are balancing out again so when I see an opportunity and I can go. I do! It was my nephews birthday so a neighbor and I got a trip put together and hit the reefs off Anna Maria. Kingfishing for me is a special treat. There is just something about hearing that drag scream. -- this is the report from the pics that I posted to the FOHAF hunt.

We headed out and left out of Simmons. Passing by the some of the markers we saw pods of bait but they were deep. We continued to the Skyway. Anchoring up and chumming and then 4 net throws...... Filled live well!!!! Nice ones too. My neighbor and I fully believe in Murphy's law. We had bought 5 dozen shrimp and 1 dozen greenbacks at Southshore bait and tackle. We knew that if we did that .... we would catch bait at the Skyway. LOL.

After getting bait we cruised passed Bean point. Macks were smashing the bait. Good sign. A couple of spoon throws... Nada. We kept going. We headed out to the 1st reef and threw the anchor and drifted back to the structure. Step 2... put out the chum bags. My nephew of course already had a line in the water and proceed to pull red grouper up.

About 20 minutes later... the first drag screaming pull goes off. Thats the best sound. For the next 5 hours. It was break offs and catching. My kind of madness!!!! Long shank hooks and just letting the baits swim with no weights was the key. Take home was 21 Macks, 2 Kings and 1really nice flounder. We lost EASILY 3x that many.

The tackle stores had a good day and so did we!! Oh and the fish were DELICIOUS!

Fishindad

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

bodysnatcher

Re: Kingfish and the birthday boy

Post by bodysnatcher » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:05 am

Man that's looking good. :toast
Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Jester
scout

Re: Kingfish and the birthday boy

Post by Jester » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:42 pm

Yumm, bet that was good!
"Any people that would give up liberty for a little temporary safety deserves neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." - Patrick Henry

"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God." - Thomas Jefferson

Return to “INTERCOASTAL FISHING FORUM”