oklahoma hunt

This is a forum to discuss all your Out Of State hunting.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

jesse
scout

oklahoma hunt

Post by jesse » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:16 am

i am planning a hunt to the panhandle area and have concerns about getting my meat back. this time i plan on processing it then freezing it as i don't like aged venison. i'll be out about 10 days. has anyone ever used dry ice if so where do you put the ice, bottom or top or both. it will take me two days to drive home and i don't want it to thaw out. also do i put regular ice in the cooler with it. it will be about 8 deer so it will take up some room?

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: oklahoma hunt

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:43 pm

We drove from Craig, Colorado to Tampa straight thru (33 hours) with 3 elk in coolers. We had them processed out there and they flash froze the packages. We put the meat in 150qt coolers and put 30# dry ice right on top(3, 10# blocks). Put a garbage bag on top to somewhat insulate it. Duck taped the lid shut and duck taped the drain plug
When I got home, there was only maybe 1# of dry ice left and the meat was all still frozen. The couple packs on the very bottom were starting to get a little slushy, but not leaking yet.

One tip I will give you...do not touch dry ice w/o gloves on. it took me till April to feel my fingers again
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:47 pm

I re-read your post. 8 deer is a lot of meat. I said what i would do if I ever went cross country again....take a freezer and generator with me. I would put all the meat in the freezer, and every time you stop for gas or to eat, fire up the generator for a few minutes. BTW, dry ice is very expensive
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

JBUG308
Second Class Scout

Post by JBUG308 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:46 pm

As long as it is flash frozen by the processor and then put some more ice on it you should be okay. It would also be smart to check ice levels when ever you stop. Don't count your deer until you've got them in the cooler!

jesse
scout

Post by jesse » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:45 pm

thanks for the info it goes along with what i was thinking , freeze them ,pack 4 to a 150 qt cooler dry ice top and bottom. this will be the first time for freezing the packaged meat before i always just boned it and packed it in gallon bags iced them down and hurried on down the road. but it took 2 days to package it when i got home i was tired from the trip and had to hurry as the meat was getting older and i do not like aged deer meat. this way the steaks will be cubed and the hamburger in 10# tubes ready to go in the freezer when i pull in the driveway. years ago we brought some elk back from colorado in a big chest freezer and it worked fine i quess i'm just trying to save the cost of a freezer. thank you again for taking the time to help

jesse
scout

Post by jesse » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:38 pm

just for info last October we brought back 9 deer two nice bucks 7 does for the group boned it out wrapped each package froze it for two days except for some hamburger 40/60 which only had overnight put in 3 coolers toped with 30 lbs dry ice and drove home stopping overnight in tn , some of the meat you could bend it but but it was still frozen. the hamburger was cool but had thawed out looking back I think it needed 2 days in the freezer. overall liked having the deer completely processed. no more cutting up deer for a couple days after a long drive . just thought I would share might help someone

Return to “OUT OF STATE HUNTING FORUM”