Indana 2018

This is a forum to discuss all your Out Of State hunting.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

blackpowderscout
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Indana 2018

Post by blackpowderscout » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:57 pm

Did my annual (unless I'm out of the country) trip to Indiana for muzzleloader last week. ALL PUBLIC LAND.

I got two button bucks....one I thought was a decent sized doe, the other I knew was a button buck but it was small and we had a small deer contest going on and well, I won. It was very, very tiny. I've shot small deer but this one was smaller than any legal Florida deer I've ever seen. And NO it did not have spots. I checked. Closely. We had one of the backstraps in camp with some spaghetti. TENDER.

Anyhow, one kid in camp got a very nice 8 point that probably scored over 120 or possibly even close to 130. It was his first deer and he had never hunted so he actually did not understand what the big deal was. It was a damn fine deer.

My buddy I drove up with saw a HUGE 160+ class deer. I was with him but was on the other side of the tree so I heard that D9 dozer coming up the ridge but didn't see it. He did but my buddy was turned just enough to not be able to shoot. He had a 6+ inch diameter Cedar tree shredded and came out right at it and he hit our scent from when we walked in and found it. Turned around slowly and went back down. The wind picked up every day after that and we never could find the bottom he was running.

Ton's and ton's of big impressive rubs that were being worked as always and no other hunters. I love Indiana muzzleloader season.

It was a good trip. ALL PUBLIC LAND.

Adam
"Friends don't let friends hunt with inlines."

NRA Life
Want to learn more about Traditional Blackpowder Hunting? http://traditionalblackpowderhunting.com/

jtcmedic
Troop Guide

Re: Indana 2018

Post by jtcmedic » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:14 pm

That sounds like a good time.
DUTY, PRIDE, TRADITION

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:29 pm

Glad you had a good hunt. Back straps and spaghetti is one combo I haven’t tried, yet, however I am quite familiar with spaghetti sauce made with venison! Did you take any pictures. You know we like pictures.
Treefarmer

Kortsman
Star Scout

Post by Kortsman » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:04 pm

What's the temps when you're hunting? I know you don't feel it when you start seeing deer, but I'd guess those other times just sitting there gets kinda cold!

blackpowderscout

Post by blackpowderscout » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:19 am

I have pictures but I got rid of all my social media accounts except for a few forums like this so uploading them from my phone is a royal pain.

It was in the high teens to low 20's every day at daybreak and got up to the low to mid 30's. Snow on the ground the first few days.

For staying warm I use the Redhead Silent Stalker Coveralls from bass pro and cabelas.It is a one of the single best items I've ever purchased for hunting. You will work up a sweat if you try walking in with it for more than a few hundred yards, even in those temps. I usually just pack it in and dress at the tree and I'm nice and toasty. Just be sure you get the one with the hood not the other coveralls they have without it, they are different and one is not as good in the cold as the other. I have both. Sportsmans Guide sells a pair that appears to be the same thing but I cannot say for sure if it is or not.

NRA Life
Want to learn more about Traditional Blackpowder Hunting? http://traditionalblackpowderhunting.com/

Kortsman
Star Scout

Post by Kortsman » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:20 pm

The coldest I've ever hunted was a number of years ago when it got down into the low 20's and there was freezing rain. We're not used to that down here and I was bundled up the best I could. But the worst part was my toes went numb and my feel felt like they were going to fall off.
I'll have to keep your suggestions in mind if I ever hunt where it's cold.

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by TerribleTed » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:08 pm

How much did he weight. THEY GET BIG UP THERE.

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:09 pm

Good Job

blackpowderscout

Post by blackpowderscout » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:48 pm

TerribleTed wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:08 pm
How much did he weight. THEY GET BIG UP THERE.
We didnt weigh any of them. The 8 pt buck was a big boy. For sure. The 1st BB I got probably went around 100lbs. The little one was, well, a lot smaller. A LOT SMALLER.....LOL.

NRA Life

blackpowderscout

Post by blackpowderscout » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:51 pm

Kortsman wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:20 pm
The coldest I've ever hunted was a number of years ago when it got down into the low 20's and there was freezing rain. We're not used to that down here and I was bundled up the best I could. But the worst part was my toes went numb and my feel felt like they were going to fall off.
I'll have to keep your suggestions in mind if I ever hunt where it's cold.
I use 800 gram thinsulate boots I picked up at Academy a few years ago. I never get frozen toes but I'll probably pick up a pair of 1000's I saw at Rural King just to be able to rotate them.

NRA Life

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:28 pm

Always a good time when you can go out and have a good time with friends and make the best of cold weather.
Bossman

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:18 pm

Good Friends, and Outdoors is LIFE GOAL!

36fan
scout

Post by 36fan » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:32 pm

What part of Indiana do you hunt? I live and hunt near the west side of Indy.
I got three this year, a doe (152 lbs on hoof, 126 lbs dressed), 8 pnt buck (160 lbs dressed) , and a button buck (~90 lbs dressed). The first two were with my crossbow, and the BB was with a ML. The BB was wondering around my backyard on the last weekend of ML season. The best part is my 15 year old daughter asked if she could go with me track and field dress it. She has never wanted to go hunting, but she took a biomed class last year that she really enjoyed. I told her what to do and helped a little, but she mostly gutted it all be herself :-)
2018 buck
buck vs steer
Daughter with button buck. This little guy showed up in my backyard with 3 does on the last weekend of ML season.

...and then there was this guy. A hunter on the neighboring property shot this 9 pointer, and tracked him onto the property I hunt. He and his uncle had found where it had bedded, but then lost the trail. They had probably been looking around the bed for an hour, and couldn't find him. I saw them on my way out and went and helped them out. Probably less than five minutes of me getting there we found the buck about 15-20 yds from the bed, down in the treeline by the creek. He weighed 225 lbs field dressed! Needless to say he was very thankful for me helping him find his deer, and helping him load it up and get it out of there. He agreed to let me snap a couple of photos with it:
He did not make a very good shot on it. 40 yds, quartering to. He hit it high in the liver, and had to track it 200-300 yds. The arrow was still in him when we found him. He only got ~2 inches penetration into the liver.

jtcmedic
Troop Guide

Post by jtcmedic » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:22 am

Well done
DUTY, PRIDE, TRADITION

blackpowderscout

Post by blackpowderscout » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:31 pm

I hunt the Hoosier in Brown County every year. I love it. I drive all the way up there every year if I'm not overseas somewhere. I've almost gave up on Florida deer hunting unless I'm out with my old school dog hunting buds. My schedule works out where December is my prime time so why not go catch the late rut up there plus muzzleloaders are my passion. Although as weird as this may sound to the guys here, I kind of wish there were more folks there during the December muzzleloader hunt. There's nobody there but our small little crew every year and a couple old timers from Shelby County I see every year. I really think more folks would jump up deer for the rest of the folks. There's a TON of deer there. Seriously. Public Land in Indiana is fantastic. FANTASTIC!!!

NRA Life

Return to “OUT OF STATE HUNTING FORUM”