California Huntin'

This is a forum to discuss all your Out Of State hunting.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

redneck75
scout
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

California Huntin'

Post by redneck75 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:01 am

Just wanted to post up and show off how we live over here on the other coast.

We hunted Vandenberg Air Force Base on the central California coast this fall. 4 days, 4 Blacktail bucks and 2 hogs. Very, Very full freezer this year!

Her first animal, taken with one shot from 212 yards with her 7mm-08. She broke it's neck and it dropped on the spot.
Forky1.jpg
I dropped this buck at 185 yards with my .30-06. So, it may have taken me a total of 3 shots to get it finished but at least I hit it perfectly behind the shoulder every time. :gangsta
Mikebuck1.jpg
Her second animal taken...with one shot again...broke the neck again...dropped in it's tracks again...with my rifle this time. This one was around 80 yards. Only allowed 2 deer out here so she was tagged out.
Forky2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bodysnatcher

Re: California Huntin'

Post by bodysnatcher » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:22 am

Nice looking animals you all have taken. :toast
Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.

davedirt
Ordeal

Post by davedirt » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:24 am

NICE............ WAS OUT THERE A FEW YEARS AGO. STAYED IN CARLSBAD ONE NITE RITE ON THE OCEAN AND LISTENED TO THAT SURF AND SLEP LIKE A BABY. MY COUSIN IS ASSITANT CITY MANAGER IN OCEANSIDE. GOOD LOOKING DEER FOR SURE.
STAY HUNGRY MY FRIENDS
DUG IN TIGHTER THAN ALABAMA TICK

ROLL TIDE

Last year I was a hunter and not a harvester........

redneck75
scout

Post by redneck75 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:34 am

Sorry about the delay in posting the rest of these...new account issues...anyway, to resume...

I managed to fill my second tag as well. Somewhere around 325 yards this time. Once again, it took 3 shots...all solidly behind the shoulder before he dropped. This is beginning to get to be a habit and she's letting me hear about it!
Mikebuck2.jpg
Now that we're out of deer tags, it's time to look for some pork! I got on the board first and finally dropped one with one shot! It went 179lbs gutted.
mikepig.jpg
She steps up and cracks her first pig the next evening...of course, dead on one shot again...dropped on the spot. It went 160lbs gutted.
Christypig.jpg
Had a real great season. The hunting program on that base is fantastic! It's a great opportunity for active duty guys in a state with some pretty dismal public land hunting (at least in the southern part of the state like that is).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bodysnatcher

Post by bodysnatcher » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:27 am

Man, you all have had a great season there. :toast
Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.

XD45
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by XD45 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:38 am

congrats :toast
2012 archery-1 doe

lamehawk
Silver Contributer

Post by lamehawk » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:37 pm

sweet season 4 both of you!!
BYOB = Bring your own bait!

http://myworld.ebay.com/shad_85

Just in my camper!

redneck75
scout

Post by redneck75 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:48 pm

Thanks fellas! Yeah, we had a great season this year. Could have taken darn near as many hogs or deer as we wanted up there. We saw about 100 deer a day while we were there and kept seeing hogs every morning and evening. The game cart got a bit of a workout this year!

Skunk Ape
Vigil

Post by Skunk Ape » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:52 pm

What kind of land is out there for guys like me? Any good public land or mostly private ranches. Cool pics.

redneck75
scout

Post by redneck75 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:13 pm

There's some decent hunting on public land if you do your homework. Most guys I hang out with tag out each year but you certainly put in some days and some miles on the boots. The country is fairly open to really open so we do a ton of hiking and glassing. I usually cover 5+ miles a day on foot. It took several years to figure it out to where I had much of a chance of success.

If it was me, I'd look into places like Camp Roberts or Fort Hunter Liggett for hunting. Both bases allow civilians to hunt. Aside from that, private land is certainly the way to go.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:26 pm

any trouble from the tree huggers? the ol lady can realy shoot, congrats to both. the 7mm08 worked out good at long range too I see, what type of gun and bbl length does she use?
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

redneck75
scout

Post by redneck75 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:14 am

She's shooting an old (1970 something I think) Remington Model 788 7mm-08. It was my first hunting rifle when I was 12. It's old, ugly (the plain orange laminate wood stock) and has a 19" bull barrel on it. It is however, fully glass-bedded and has a Jewel Trigger on it and shoots like a champ.

Not too much trouble from the tree huggers. Every now and then there's an idiot who thinks they need to drive up and down the highway honking to scare off the deer from the hunters. More issues with people just out walking their dogs, hiking and not realizing they're screwing up your morning hunt. That's not on the base though...just in San Diego county in general. It's easily remedied by putting a couple miles between you and the trailhead by first light.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:13 am

good for both of you. I've taken a lot of ribbing about my little mdl 7, 7mm08 with 18" bbl and 1.5-5 power scope like: little pea shooter, may be powerful enough for coyotes, scopes way to small, men shoot 300mags etc. I never had a chance to try it at long ranges on game but put a nosler partition in it and it will take just about any deer/hog to at least 300 yds.a little smithing really does make a HUGE difference. maybe she will let you borrow it back sometime, lol. have a Merry Christmas and hope Santa brings you a bigger freezer.

redneck75
scout

Post by redneck75 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:57 am

I love that little cartridge. It doesn't kick much at all and hits a whole bunch harder than a .243. I think it's the perfect deer caliber. I like a little more for bigger game like elk, bear or pigs but it will still get the job done without any trouble.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:29 am

if you handload, a 175 gr partition could handle that larger game but you would have to give up app 100 yd's on distance, and keep shots under 200 yd's IMO, never had a chance to try it but doubt there would be any problem.

Return to “OUT OF STATE HUNTING FORUM”