California Huntin'

This is a forum to discuss all your Out Of State hunting.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

redneck75
scout
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: California Huntin'

Post by redneck75 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:58 am

In that part of California, we have to shoot the copper (no lead) "condor safe" bullets so we're shooting the Barnes TSX. She's shooting the 145 grain through the 7mm-08. Penetration and bullet performance certainly were not an issue. It's $40.00 for a box of shells but I'd have to call it worth it the way it shoots. She took her hog square in the front shoulder, through a 2.5" plate, shoulder bone and it exited out behind the off shoulder from about 150 yards. I think that will handle most things just fine if it'll do that. Who knows though? I just can't give up the extra range out here in case we do need to make a longer shot.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:18 am

the wonderful Republic of Kalifornia, I think your Gov " the Austrian Oak" is smokin too much of that medical marihoochie
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

frankwt

Post by frankwt » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:54 pm

Great hunts, all I can say is your out of ammo and she still has 3 years worth...lol

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Post by M12Gunboy » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:23 pm

The 7MM-08 does it again. I have one in a Remmy 700 Mountain Carbine an have taken some sh_t with the all mighty Supreme Nacho Grande since it isn't a long action, big boy. This is more clear evidence they work as good if not better than the .308.... Got two of them also.... Point is you don't need a .30-06, 7MM Mag or .300 Win Mag to successfully kill North American game animals. Great hunts....

Do they let retired military hunt on the base were you took the game as well??

Welcome to the site and good luck on you move to JAX.

redneck75
scout
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by redneck75 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:20 am

I wouldn't go so far as to say that the 7mm-08 works better than the .308. It's just a little flatter shooting since it's the same case with a smaller bullet. In my humble opinion, it's just a very mild recoiling rifle that is plenty adequate for most animals. I still reach for the -06 if I'll be hunting in an area where I think there's a chance at a decent-sized hog. Then again, I've killed plenty of deer and hogs with that gun so I know it will work just fine.

I hunt Alaska a bunch, as it's my home state and you wouldn't catch me with anything smaller that a .338 in hand up there. I do love the big magnum rifles, I just hate the way the .300 and 7mm mag just bloodshoot the hell out of the animals. They do have their place and I use a .300 in some situations, like where I expect a long shot well beyond 300 yards but that's about the only time.

Yes, Vandenberg Air Force Base does allow retired military to hunt on the base. Check out their website and you can get all the info.

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Post by M12Gunboy » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:29 am

Thanks man, appreciate it...

Return to “OUT OF STATE HUNTING FORUM”